Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Amazon Web Services, they have a big data center in Virginia and I had some stuff going on there that would be adversely affected had they lost power. Glad to here the wine made it through okay. Good luck cleaning up and bouncing back.
The Amazon facility is widely professionally viewed as being one of the best non government sites in the state. The entire place has double redundancy; dual diesels capable of backing up the entire facility for over one month. They also have a dedicated full back up facility just across the border in WV

10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The Amazon facility is widely professionally viewed as being one of the best non government sites in the state. The entire place has double redundancy; dual diesels capable of backing up the entire facility for over one month. They also have a dedicated full back up facility just across the border in WV
AWS seems to have come through just fine with this but we have been having some squirrelly connectivity issues with some of our customers for the past two days. I think it is just the general internet infrastructure on the east coast being hosed. As to their reliability, that is another issue as they seem to have problems too often, including a downtime earlier this month. We got through it okay because we had a failsafe in a different AZ and we are constantly looking at how we can improve our autonomic administration and cope with their peccadilloes but the ideal step up in reliability of extra-regional clustered databases is just prohibitively expensive for us at this time.

Last edited by mikemike; 10-31-2012 at 08:40 AM.
10-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
....a different AZ....

You mean there is a different AZ? Hope it is better than the original one.

Glad you didn't have many problems with the storm.
10-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You mean there is a different AZ? Hope it is better than the original one.

Glad you didn't have many problems with the storm.
It WOULD be helpful if people remembered that not everyone speaks the same acronym-ese that they do. In fact some of the drama in this very thread could have been avoided had that been considered.

I think in this case AZ is "application zone" but who knows.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

10-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, I was not trying to be smart with the "American Wine Society" thing. I Googled "AWS Virginia" and got several hits, like American Women Surgeons, Advanced Wiring Systems and of-course Amazon. Anyhow...enough of that.
Waiting to hear from the relatives, if there is anything left of their cottage at Point Pleasant NJ. Luckily, they did evacuate in time. We will see how it turns out.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #51
Veteran Member

i just got my power back on here in CNJ. I hope everyone made it thru safe and sound.