Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankenstorm

Just in time for Halloween, we have "Frankenstorm"! A little more creative in the naming than last years installment "Snowtober". Anyhow, good luck everybody! It might snow here so I'm getting my skis ready.
Pre-Halloween 'Frankenstorm' takes aim at East Coast | Fox News

10-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love how the media has gotten my 90 year old grandmother all worked up over this storm. We don't live anywhere near the coast, we don't live in a flood prone area, even the Labor Day storm of 1998 only left us without power for a day. But she is all worried about what could happen.

New York State Labor Day derechos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One year ago during Hurricane Irene water crested at the top step of my building.
Flood water reached the roof line of my car door at high tide twice.

All told seventeen cars in my complex were totalled.
And that was during a mandatory evacuation.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
10-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I lived on Long Beach Island in southern NJ in the early to mid 70's and it was common for full moon high tides to flood the streets as the bay would back up the storm sewers. Hopefully, these storms won't all mesh together as predicted. Flood damage from Irene is still evident in places around here. For my area, the snow scenario would work the best for us as our leaves are almost all gone. We had over 4 inches of rain last Friday in places so another big dump of rain would not be good. Snow will slowly melt.

10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on higher ground, but coastal, and I'm sure we'll get evacuation notices in the town. In the last 12 years these storms have gotten progressively worse. It may not be a reasonable sampling, but we've had a good three 20 year storms in those years, and this will be worse. I'm sure I can deal with it, but it's getting to be routine, at least every few years. I'm making longer term preparations for things that no one really thought about 20 years ago. At least we have a barrier island (Long Island) to buffer, but the winds will come from the NE right into the Sound. We're used to big Nor'easters, but this might be a little more.
David
10-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If my head is any indication we might have a storm to worry about. The thing is still hundreds of miles off coast in the wrong direction. It's not really affecting us at all weather-wise supposedly, but my head has been acting like it's in my backyard. FYI, my sinuses are better than any weather forecaster, always have been. If I am sneezing my head off, my nose is running constantly, and my head feels like it's in a vise, and it has been that way for almost two days now, you can be sure there's a monster sized storm coming. To be fair I still had the very last remnants of a bad cold, so my head was probably primed to be fussy, but still my head it's really bad. It feels like it wants to explode, and my ears are popping like I am on a plane, that's despite sinus meds and considerable distance, which means the pressure of that thing must be enormous. My bones are just aching too. This is not a storm I think to mess with if you don't have to. My gut (and my head) tells me this one might be very, very bad. If you live up the East coast take care and prepare. You might be very glad you did...

Last edited by magkelly; 10-26-2012 at 09:39 PM.
10-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We expect a week of rain & some wind. I might get some good surf pictures. We're no strangers to 50-kt winter gales. Will top up the oil lamps, cos when the wind blows our power tends to go off. But it's forecast to go inland west of us so I'm not really too concerned... I have friends at sea on a converging course. A bit more of a worry!
I have to kind of laugh at "Frankenstorm" -- how many more of these ridiculous names can they come up with? But there's a fine line between the media giving people information to encourage them to be prepared, & just panic-mongering.

10-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Although I live ~300 miles inland here in the mountains of western Pennsylvania, I think we will see somewhat of an impact with this one. Because we are in such a mountainous region with tons of small hollows and streams coming down the steep mountainsides, there could be issues. If we get more than 2" of rain in a 24 hour period there is flooding - the type that washes roads out and brings groups of trees with mudslides down the sides of the mountains. We have the possibility to get 6-8" of rain over a 2.5 day period as the center of the storm is going to pretty much park itself right over us for a few days.

We are always prepared however - living in the boonies requires that. The nearest town with a decent grocery store or hospital etc. is 20 miles away, so you don't just run down to the corner store for a quart of milk. We have our wood stove and lots of firewood, natural spring for our water, and cook on the gas grill. Our power goes off even with most thunderstorms so we are mostly used to it.

Time to hunker down!
10-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hrm, yeah, this one does feel like it might be a bad one, at least from down here. Just have been having that kind of edgy feeling I sometimes get when the atmosphere's unstable. Think I'll treat this one like anything might happen, since I need a big grocery run anyway. Feels as though that high pressure front's just about pushed in, now, though. (A little nicer on the joints, anyway.) Looks like it's supposed to be fending off the storm from this area, anyway.
10-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'm safe, but maybe I'll dig my waders out just in case.
10-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Eh, you never know, these days. Barometric pressure just took another turn down, here. It makes me want to get proper instruments. Instead of, really, my knees.
10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I usually listen to the old timers about past weather events. Not that my father-in-law is such an old timer, but when talking about this storm this morning, he mentioned that this is a similar setup that hurricane Agnes had back in 1975. I pulled up the track of Agnes - looks all too similar to what Sandy's track is forecast. Agnes was the most destructive storm in Pennsylvania history.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:45 AM.
10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It makes me want to get proper instruments. Instead of, really, my knees.
Meteorologists have proper instruments. Generally speaking, meteorologists with instruments aren't any more accurate than people with bad knees, hips, elbows, or fingers that have learned to pay attention to them.
10-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
don't forget your fly rod
10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I lived on Long Beach Island in southern NJ in the early to mid 70's and it was common for full moon high tides to flood the streets as the bay would back up the storm sewers. Hopefully, these storms won't all mesh together as predicted. Flood damage from Irene is still evident in places around here. For my area, the snow scenario would work the best for us as our leaves are almost all gone. We had over 4 inches of rain last Friday in places so another big dump of rain would not be good. Snow will slowly melt.
I practically grew up on LBI back then - my grandmother had a house on Persing Avenue in Holgate. I remember that flooding well. I also remember everyone talking about the 'Big Storm' that would come along some day and chew the island into pieces again like had been done in the past - I'm thinking this could be the one, and it's really heartbreaking.