Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Staples for $13 (million)

just found this reflection on "selective memory" interesting...

Then:
QuoteQuote:
Still, Romney remained a skeptic about Staples’ prospects for a long time, according to his testimony, maintaining that many start-ups fail, and reeling off cold statistics that betrayed no illusions about Staples’ chances. He said he felt there was a 25 percent chance Staples would be successful, 25 percent that it would be an “OK investment,” another 25 percent probability it would be a “bad investment but we’d get our money back,” and a “25 percent probability we’d lose money.”
And now:

QuoteQuote:
Speaking over the summer at the Republican National Convention, Stemberg recalled none of the hardships of the early days, just Romney’s willingness to help. “He never looked at Staples merely as a financial investment,’’ Stemberg said. “He saw the engine of prosperity it would become.”
“He never looked at Staples merely as a financial investment,’’ Stemberg said. “He saw the engine of prosperity it would become.”

funny isn't it.. To Romney it was NOTHING but an investment...and Stemberg knew this....

Mitt Romney testimony in Staples founder Tom Stemberg divorce case reveals rocky early years of company - Business - Boston.com

11-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting perspective here. Flip-flopping seems to work - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This election, more than any other in my time as a citizen, has disappointed in the lack of penalty for lying. In fact, it seems to be rewarded. The more Gov. Romney tells untruths, the better he does.

Romney was disliked by the majority of his party in the primary, and was a plurality candidate until the others essentially gave up in the face of his money. Even then, his majority was narrow. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/republican_vote_count.html Two thirds of the only state he has governed rejects him. His campaign was in the toilet a few months ago until a debate where he stood before the country and confidently spun lies--many of which video proves.

The President stopped that momentum with debate performances where he acted confidently and assertively, but, frankly, gave the fact-checkers something to do on both sides. Never has President Obama gone to the extent of Gov. Romney with his ads about Chrysler and GM, or the "you didn't build this" edit, or the blatant flip flops on abortion, Romneycare, and on and on, but, plainly, we seem to reward politicians for making facile statements which stretch the truth. It seems to me that the more you lie and flop around, the better you do.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-01-2012 at 05:16 AM.
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes now, amid the cohesion of the GOP around its candidate, one forgets that Romney has been called a liar by just about everyone who has ever run against him, and the comments are so similar whether the opponent is Republican or Democrat.
When asked in Iowa if he was calling Romney a liar, Newt Gingrich responded, "Yes."

"Someone who will lie to you to get to be president will lie to you when they are president."

"He's not telling the American people the truth."

"I just think he ought to be honest with the American people and try to win as the real Mitt Romney, not try to invent a poll-driven, consultant-guided version that goes around with talking points, and I think he ought to be candid. I don't think he's being candid and that will be a major issue."

"Here's a Massachusetts moderate who has tax-paid abortions in 'Romneycare,' puts Planned Parenthood in 'Romneycare,' raises hundreds of millions of dollars of taxes on businesses, appoints liberal judges to appease Democrats, and wants the rest of us to believe somehow he's magically a conservative."

"And candidly, I wish Mitt would just, you know, level with the American people, be who he really is, and let's have a debate about a Massachusetts moderate versus a real conservative."
The Gingrich view was expressed by other Republicans, before he was their candidate:

"Gov. Romney has taken two positions on every issue." - John McCain

"I have run a lot of elections, supported a lot of people, [and] I have never seen a guy change his position on so many things, so fast, on a dime." - Rudy Giuliani

"We just call him a serial flip-flopper." - Ron Paul

"I don't know how to respond [to Romney] because his position may change tomorrow." - John McCain

"I think he's certainly being dishonest about his own record. When he said that he had the endorsement of the NRA, he did not. When he says that he didn't raise taxes, in fact there were $500 million in fees that were raised during his time [as governor of Massachusetts] ... He's making up stuff ... It's just incredible ... It's not true ... Maybe you have another word for it, but in Arkansas we kept it simple: we called it dishonest ..." - Mike Huckabee

"They (voters) want to know what’s the truth. They’re not interested in a chameleon." - Michelle Bachmann

"Romney, supposedly the Republican most electable next November, is a recidivist reviser of his principles who is not only becoming less electable; he might damage GOP chances of capturing the Senate … Republicans may have found their Michael Dukakis …" - George Will

"Mitt Romney is running a very desperate and, frankly, very dishonest campaign." - Mike Huckabee

"What you have with Governor Romney is someone who is simply not the genuine article." - Rick Santorum

"He glosses over and doesn’t even tell the truth. … Here is a guy who is the ultimate flip-flopper running for president, and he’s attacking me for not being principled? That doesn’t wash." - Rick Santorum

"He changed his position on virtually everything. I’m a moderate Republican, that’s what I am, so I’d be inclined to support someone like Mitt Romney. But all those changes give me pause." - Rudy Giuliani

"You can’t be a perfectly lubricated weather vane on the important issues of the day ... ." - John Huntsman

Compiled at REPUBLICANS: ROMNEY IS A LIAR

Truly, the comments of his primary opponents in 2008 and 2012 sound just like what has been said about the frustration of the President in dealing with the mendacity of his ticket.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-02-2012 at 07:13 AM.
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
R-money is not if not a "distortion" of reality..

QuoteQuote:
Romney Ad Seen as Distortion Prompts Protest by U.S. Automakers
Romney Ad Seen as Distortion Prompts Protest by U.S. Automakers - Businessweek
QuoteQuote:
“This ad was so misleading, that we had no choice but to offer a vigorous defense of our progress since emerging from bankruptcy,” Martin said. “We are grateful to both parties for the second chance, and we’re making the most of it.”

Then-President George W. Bush gave emergency funding to keep the predecessors of GM and Chrysler solvent in late 2008 until Obama, newly elected, could craft the final form of an $85 billion managed bankruptcy of the automakers and their finance units. Fiat SpA (F), where Marchionne is also CEO, obtained control of Chrysler in exchange for vehicles, technology and managerial expertise.
‘Predictable’ Ads

“We’re in the last days of the campaign, so these types of ads are predictable,” said Martin, who was GM’s Washington- based spokesman during the bankruptcy. “GM’s creation of jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back to this country should be a source of bipartisan pride. GM has gone out of its way to be neutral.”
I HONESTLY can't understand anyone w/ a brain voting for him.. but that is just me...........

Closed Thread