Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We have had early voting in Ohio for weeks. Wonder who could ask for more opportunities to vote.

11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
We have had early voting in Ohio for weeks. Wonder who could ask for more opportunities to vote.
I suppose it depends upon when you can take time to vote. In 2008 there were 5 early voting weekends, and now there is one.
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A short time ago, In the middle of the night in the privacy of my own home, I instructed the US treasury to transfer from my treasury account $20000 to my checking account. When I checked with my local bank at 8:30 am that morning the money was there.

Yet we persist with an atavistic preindustrial agrarian 18th century system of determining the will of the people.

The truth is the system does not want to know the will of the people only certain select people which was exactly it's intent when first setup in the late 18th century.

It's idiotic in the 21st century.

Last edited by wildman; 11-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

The truth is the system does not want to know the will of the people only certain select people
Republican party "plank".....

But a bit back ....... there is a need for some check and balance on "tyranny of the masses".. as in a straight democracy... which is what the "electoral college" was for.. Problem is apparently we have as little faith in the small collective of "smart people" as we do in the "masses".. Not an easy problem to solve....

Balancing the tyranny of the majority against the tyranny of the minority....

Personally the US is one of the greatest dysfunctional systems I know... but a lot of the success is due to our cultural diversity.. not commonality.

11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

A short time ago, In the middle of the night in the privacy of my own home, I instructed the US treasury to transfer from my treasury account $20000 to my checking account. When I checked with my local bank at 8:30 am that morning the money was there.

Yet we persist with an atavistic preindustrial agrarian 18th century system of determining the will of the people.

The truth is the system does not want to know the will of the people only certain select people which was exactly it's intent when first setup in the late 18th century.

It's idiotic in the 21st century.
Yep. A Conservative I personally wish more in the Republican Party were like, writes:

QuoteQuote:
America's voting system is a disgrace
David Frum

Washington (CNN) -- When the polls close in most other democracies, the results are known almost instantly. Ballots are usually counted accurately and rapidly, and nobody disputes the result. Complaints of voter fraud are rare; complaints of voter suppression are rarer still.
The kind of battle we are seeing in Florida -- where Democrats and Republicans will go to court over whether early voting should span 14 days or eight -- simply does not happen in Germany, Canada, Britain or France. The ballot uncertainty that convulsed the nation after Florida's vote in 2000 could not happen in Mexico or Brazil.

Almost everywhere else, elections are run by impartial voting agencies. In France, elections are the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior, which establishes places and hours of voting, prints ballots (France still uses paper) and counts the votes. In Germany, an independent federal returning officer oversees a complex state and federal voting system. In Canada, federal elections are managed by a specialized agency, Elections Canada. Mexico, emerging from a sad history of electoral manipulation, created in the 1990s a respected independent agency, the Federal Electoral Institute. Brazil has nationwide electronic voting, producing instantaneous, uncontested results.

No voting system is perfect. Britain has faced allegations of chronic fraud in absentee balloting. As I write, Lithuanian politics are convulsed by allegations of vote buying by one of its political parties. But here's what doesn't happen in other democracies: Politicians of one party do not set voting schedules to favor their side and harm the other. Politicians do not move around voting places to gain advantages for themselves or to disadvantage their opponents. In fact, in almost no other country do politicians have any say in the administration of elections at all.

Here's a story from the 2000 election.
Like many old cities, St. Louis has not invested in modern voting equipment. Voting delays are notorious. At the scheduled poll-closing time, voters were still lined up throughout the city. Al Gore's campaign, desperate to win the state, asked a judge to extend voting for three more hours in the heavily Democratic city -- but only in the city. A state judge agreed. Republicans appealed, the state judge was overruled, and the polls were closed after remaining open a total of 45 additional minutes beyond the legal closing time. Republicans won Missouri's 11 electoral votes by a margin of 78,786 out of the almost 2.4 million cast.

Think about what's incredible here: Lines were lengthy in St. Louis City because in the United States, almost uniquely, local governments choose how voting is cast and counted. People who live in localities with less capable governments, such as St. Louis, will face greater delay and difficulty in casting their vote. When local Democratic officials saw themselves disadvantaged by the existing rules, they appealed to a judge for special treatment for its (likely) voters -- and only for those voters. (Good news: In Missouri, circuit judges are appointed by the governor and then confirmed in office by nonpartisan vote. In many states, however, judges are themselves elected in partisan elections.)

The other party demanded that the existing rules be upheld, and the case was litigated on the fly, ending in a weird compromise that only failed to become a national scandal because the events in Florida were so much more dramatic. In any other democracy, voters nationwide would have cast their votes on the same kind of balloting equipment, subject to the same rules. The parties would have had a minimal role in supervising the election, and certainly would not have been allowed to ask for rule changes as the vote occurred. The voting would have been overseen by a national election commission, not by local judges, who might be nonpartisan -- but who very well might not.

Americans worry more about voter fraud than do voters in other countries, because they are the only country without a reliable system of national identification. In no other country, including federal systems such as Germany, Canada and Australia, does the citizen's opportunity to vote depend on the affluence and competence of his or her local government. In every other democracy, the vote is the means by which the people choose between the competing political parties -- not one more weapon by which the parties compete.

The United States is an exceptional nation, but it is not always exceptional for good. The American voting system too is an exception: It is the most error-prone, the most susceptible to fraud, the most vulnerable to unfairness and one of the least technologically sophisticated on earth. After the 2000 fiasco, Americans resolved to do better. Isn't it past time to make good on that resolution?
11-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
In every other democracy, the vote is the means by which the people choose between the competing political parties -- not one more weapon by which the parties compete.
Exactly to the point-

The Republican's are right, fraud is an important part of our system but it's not being committed by some "welfare queen" in South Chicago who has been standing in line for 4 hours in freezing weather just to cast her vote.

Last edited by wildman; 11-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exactly to the point-

The Republican's are right, fraud is an important part of our system but it's not being committed by some "welfare queen" in South Chicago who has been standing in line for 4 hours in subzero weather just to cast her vote.
Actually to the Republican "plank" that is fraud.. No skin in the game.. no vote..
Back to just the "landed gentry" being able to vote............

for fun .. intrade

71.9 O to 28.2 R

Closed Thread