Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While many may disagree I fully endorse your top loader style. Mold growth in addition to leaks can be a problem with those snazzy, pricey new front loaders. We like Whirlpool around here and Whirlpool and a couple of others rebrand their stuff Kenmore for Sears. I suspect you will be fine with well know national brand that has the features and capacity you desire.

There is the basic unit and then they add the bells and whistles to move the price point upwards. The size you desire and the number of cycles (modes) determines your model. I sometimes get my work clothes quite dirty and the while we never use the delicate cycle, the extended wash wash with the extra rinse comes in handy when I have been crawling around in a crawl space.

As for the greasy clothes in the dryer, I would not leave home while they were dryer and I would invest in an ABC fire extinguisher to have on hand. We have never had a problem but then grease is not my preferred muck to get on my clothes. I suspect it is always a possibility and the warning notices have about as much real life relevance as the strangulation notices on the window blind cords.

11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
While many may disagree I fully endorse your top loader style...
I am not disagreeing with you, but even the brand that some people here are lauding (Miele) does not manufacture top loading machines. I think that says something about trending towards more efficiency.
11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
...those snazzy, pricey new front loaders.
Come again? We haven't seen many toploaders around here for the last 40-odd years...

QuoteQuote:
We like Whirlpool around here...
We don't. It's consistently graded as a B or C brand by European consumer organizations. The brand is sold as the IKEA house brand with the reputation that goes with it - cheap and crappy but looks absolutely great.

QuoteQuote:
...an ABC fire extinguisher to have on hand.
Yes, if you want to get electrocuted real quick.
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
...We don't. It's consistently graded as a B or C brand by European consumer organizations. The brand is sold as the IKEA house brand with the reputation that goes with it - cheap and crappy but looks absolutely great...
Whirlpool is in the top two as far as manufacturing quantity of home appliances (this type, anyway) in the world. There are quite a few brands that fall under the Whirlpool umbrella as being the parent company. Most of the Whirlpool brands are shiite. (As an example - the Ikea brand.) However, a brand such as Kenmore can get higher marks for items such as washers and dishwashers. Are they as good as Bosch or Miele in those categories? Probably not. But a brand such as Kenmore is loads less expensive than Bosch or Miele.

Last edited by lammie200; 11-02-2012 at 03:26 PM.
11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

We have a Samsung, it's quite and low priced. I highly recommend it.
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have used a few different front loaders and was never impressed with them one bit.

They do use less water and less detergent, but they don't get the cloths near as clean as a top loader. After a while of washing with a front loader, the cloths will start to feel different.. like they are not quite clean.

As for what exactly to get, look around for comments on specific ones that are available in your area.

And a huge suggestion.. NEVER, EVER get anything that is recommended by consumer reports unless you can verify that it is actually a good product from other sources. My parents used to go by what consumer reports recommended, and it always ended up badly.
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #22

I have a top loader and don't see a need to spend the xtra money for a front loader. With what you are describing I would make sure to get a top loader with a large capacity. Greasy clothes will need the extra room to become clean without overloading the machine. Look at how you normally do laundry. Do you use all of the extra settings? Do you wish you had extra settings? Answer those questions then get one that matches your answers. When it comes to brands it doesn't matter which one you choose, there will always be positive and negative reviews. My philosophy is to buy items that are in the mid-range pricewise. Very expensive and you are paying for status, very cheap you get very basic model that may not be good quality.

11-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeliaRana Quote
I have a top loader and don't see a need to spend the xtra money for a front loader. With what you are describing I would make sure to get a top loader with a large capacity. Greasy clothes will need the extra room to become clean without overloading the machine. Look at how you normally do laundry. Do you use all of the extra settings? Do you wish you had extra settings? Answer those questions then get one that matches your answers. When it comes to brands it doesn't matter which one you choose, there will always be positive and negative reviews. My philosophy is to buy items that are in the mid-range pricewise. Very expensive and you are paying for status, very cheap you get very basic model that may not be good quality.

Apologies fro the slow replies.
When I use the machine we currently have I have never wished for more settings, but then again, I'm very much a "throw everything in and turn it to light wash"

I've read this thread, and also one of the local product review websites.

My original preference was a Simpson brand machine, my mother has one and it's been happily washing for about 10 years now.
However, upon reading the review sites it seems a few of the reviewers (granted, they're just reader submitted reviews) have had issues with leaking machines, and electrical faults.

I'm leaning towards a Samsung maybe.

Unfortunately Miele etc are way beyond our price range (the cheapest Miele is still more than 3x our budget)
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Needless to say that full frame washer machines will demonstrate better DoF (depth of fabric) as far as detergent penetration is concerned. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. They are trying to fool you guys.
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What are the thoughts on medium format washers?

There's a place called "laundromat" that allows you to rent a medium format washer one frame at a time

11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there not some form of Amazon/Oz that has product reviews? Or Consumer Reports magazine? Or a store where you can ask a few questions and look around?

If not, then a Sears Kenmore :-)
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Another vote for front loading Samsung units. We bought ours from Sears a couple of years ago. I did a bunch of research and the Samsung units were best bang for the buck at the time. We stacked ours, and love the added real estate we got back in our laundry room. Have worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.
11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is there not some form of Amazon/Oz that has product reviews? Or Consumer Reports magazine? Or a store where you can ask a few questions and look around?

Yes, there are many local websites with user reviews, but most of the user reviews seem to be silly things like "don't ever buy this machine, the lid is fragile and breaks. My son jumped on it and it just broke", "never buy it again, all I did was tip a whole bucket of soap in the machine and it foamed everywhere"

I've not seen any physical magazines that review this stuff, but we do have "choice" which insist on a 12month subscription just to view one review.

I've been to a few stores, but they tend to only know the basic information from the brochure.
11-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Go to the library and read consumer reports. They aren't as good as they once were but that at semi-objective.
11-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Yes, there are many local websites with user reviews, but most of the user reviews seem to be silly things like "don't ever buy this machine, the lid is fragile and breaks. My son jumped on it and it just broke", "never buy it again, all I did was tip a whole bucket of soap in the machine and it foamed everywhere"

I've not seen any physical magazines that review this stuff, but we do have "choice" which insist on a 12month subscription just to view one review.

I've been to a few stores, but they tend to only know the basic information from the brochure.
if it saves you grief from a poor manufactured product choice may be a good investment (i assume it's like an aussie consumers report). I hear a lot of good stuff about samsung appliances for mid range value. I just bought a new fridge on sunday and almost bought a samsung but there was a dimension issue so had to pass on it. ended up with whirpool gold (pretty much the same as kitchenad minus a couple bells and whistles) because it fit the space where my first few choices didn't.
as for all the people who keep touting kenmore remember this member is in australia. kenmore is a us brand (that infiltrates canada through sears canada)