Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

Question for people in Orlando, FL

I recently found out I am heading to Orlando for a week in march for a bit of sun. Besides doing the obvious things there I also plan on picking up some camera gear. I was wandering if people in the area could recommend any camarea stores? The main things I'd be looking to pick up are lighting stuff (umbrellas, stands, flashes etc) and a place that sells used stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I dont have to spend too much time visiting every camera store in the area. Also if you could comment on their prices compared to B&H/Adorama that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

02-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't mind knowing, either, as I live only a couple of hours from Orlando. Surely, they've got to have at least one store that's better than Ritz or any of the local stores around here.

Heather
02-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a store called Colonial that I went to when I was in Orlando in July 2006.

Colonial Photo and Hobby — Central Florida's largest photo and hobby store. Hobbies are our specialty, not a sideline!

They have a lot of stuff and they have staff who know cameras. BUT, they couldn't give two sh!ts about Pentax. At least in July 2006, they didn't. I asked one of the counter guys, who wasn't some bored know-nothing punk, where the Pentax digital stuff was. He pulled out a dusty 67 from behind the counter with a smirk. Maybe they've changed since then. Maybe not. I paid the $12 for my one item and left. Your mileage may vary.
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
There is a store called Colonial that I went to when I was in Orlando in July 2006.

Colonial Photo and Hobby — Central Florida's largest photo and hobby store. Hobbies are our specialty, not a sideline!

They have a lot of stuff and they have staff who know cameras. BUT, they couldn't give two sh!ts about Pentax. At least in July 2006, they didn't. I asked one of the counter guys, who wasn't some bored know-nothing punk, where the Pentax digital stuff was. He pulled out a dusty 67 from behind the counter with a smirk. Maybe they've changed since then. Maybe not. I paid the $12 for my one item and left. Your mileage may vary.
Okay thanks for that! I was on the Orlando Yellow pages and they were the biggest shop that I could find. Well its been awhile so maybe its changed, we'll see I guess!

Thanks

02-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Just wanted to give this a quick bump in a last attempt to see if anyone has any comments\suggestions?

Thanks
02-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm I'll be in Hallandale (between Miami and Fort Lauderdale) in March, I'd also be curious to find a decent photo store in that area.

Pat
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I checked out Colonial Photo and Hobby's website and I found the following page where they list the brands they carry:
Pentax is not mentioned at all.

Heather

02-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Colonial is a nice store, kind of funny since half the store is dedicated to model trains and planes. They do not support Pentax at all. They do not have anything to clean sensors with, other than the "green clean" vacuum can thing, which I don't want.

So I don't go to Colonial. What do I need there??

But they will have lighting stuff, umbrellas and all that. And bags. Nice store!
02-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I'm not from Orlando but for Germany, the Pentx site's dealer search gives quite useful results. For Orlando (within 50 miles) it returns:

QuoteQuote:
Ritz Camera (plus many other stores farther away...)
3447 East Colonial Drive
Orlando Fashion Square
Orlando, FL 32803
407-898-7177
Product lines: Film Cameras, Digital SLR, Digital Point & Shoot

Yes Brasil
5571 International Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
(407) 351-3684
Product lines: Binoculars, Digital SLR, Film Cameras, Digital Point & Shoot

Quick Foto & Video
5481 W. Hwy. 192
Kissimmee, FL 34746
(407) 396-7272
Product lines: Digital SLR, Film Cameras, Film Medium Format, Digital Point & Shoot

Porters Camera
120 Magnolia Avenue
Eustis, FL 32726
(352) 357-2540
Product lines: Film Cameras, Film Medium Format, Digital SLR, Digital Point & Shoot

Marshalls Camera
202 E. Lake Avenue
Auburndale, FL 33823
(863) 967-3942
Product lines: Film Cameras, Digital Point & Shoot, Digital SLR, Binoculars
And yes, that was one of the first things I noticed when I first visited the U.S. after arriving in Downtown Manhattan: Camera stores in Germany carry Cameras and, ... Lenses, Telescopes, Darkroom equipment. Camera stores in the U.S. (at least in Downtown Manhattan carry Cameras and, ... Bags.
02-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for that falconeye. Never thought to check the Pentax Site! Will try and stop by some of those places. Although my main plan was to get lighting stuff ($50CA+ for a umbrella?!?! (Henrys)) and actually if they dont have any pentax lenses and stuff thats good because LBA might just kick in if theres some old manual lenses lying around...

Thanks guys!
02-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Colonial Photo and Hobby still doesn't care about Pentax (not bad if you need some misc accessories filters etc), I need to try Yes Brasil, they are literally down the street from me.....