Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Adorama customer service??????

Ok ..as soon as the price fell on the K01 I ordered from Adorama on Thursday the 1st. Friday morning. I received an email telling me my camera shipped on Thursday the first. I tried to track my order today which is the 5th and all I get is the USPS has received electronic notice that they will be receiving an item to be shipped to me and it also says that doesn't mean the item has been shipped or even will be shipped. I double checked my order on Adorama and it states my item was shipped priority mail on the first. So now how long should I wait before I call Adorama?
Reply to thread

11-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USPS doesn't update their tracking as often as UPS or FedEx, and I've even received packages before the tracking # changed from "electronic label created" to "in transit." You definitely should see something today as far as the tracking status, but I'd wait until tomorrow AM to call Adorama about it.
11-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

With all the network and power outages related to Hurricane Sandy many online services like package tracking are not functioning 100%. As well as what panoguy said.
11-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I've had a similar transaction. Ordered Friday and they didn't get it out the door until Tuesday, but it arrived fast for me because I'm on the Northeast coast.
It is Monday and an update would have shown by noon...EST, so I would say to give them a call by 2 pm EST if it did not update or just wait until Tomorrow by noon-ish, but no later.

11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Geez, give them (both Adorama and USPS) a break. Things are a mess in NYC, I'm frankly amazed that they are working and doing anything at all at this point.
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Everything is chaos in NYC and Jersey. Be patient. I work for a large food distributor in the fleet maintenence dept. Parts for our trucks and trailers which normally arrive next day or 2 days have taken over a week. Fleets down there lost half their equipment including the post office. We have loaned out some of our trailers to our locations in that area. It's going to take a while to get things running again. Fleets are not getting fuel deliverys yet either so trucks that are running have no fuel. Once power is restored in the coming week, things will improve. There are more important things to get delivered than camera gear.
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If Adorama gave you a tracking number, that is all they can do.

11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I would avoid buying from anyone in NY/NJ until the infrastructure at least gets a band aid applied to it.
11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
USPS doesn't update their tracking as often as UPS or FedEx, and I've even received packages before the tracking # changed from "electronic label created" to "in transit." You definitely should see something today as far as the tracking status, but I'd wait until tomorrow AM to call Adorama about it.

+ the next number. It happens all the time with USPS. UPS often doesn't display the data until the local scan or sometimes even on the truck. Fedex does a much better job.

Considering all that is going on I personally would wait until the end of the work week to call.
11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Geez, give them (both Adorama and USPS) a break. Things are a mess in NYC, I'm frankly amazed that they are working and doing anything at all at this point.
Yeah - I agree. The last I heard Adorama was working with generators to supply power.

The whole area is a mess robert - people are still waiting in 2 mile long lines for 10 gallons of gas.

USPS has many facilities that are closed down in the area including NY and NJ. When something like this happens, the last thing that is worried about is scanning packages as they pass through facilities. It is likely that your package had to be routed either north or south first before it makes it to Ohio. Take a look at the USPS site (big red banner at the very top of the main site) - when you click on that, it tells you that there are a bunch of facilities closed yet in NJ even a week after the storm:

Mail Service Updates

Give them a break!
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yeah - I agree. The last I heard Adorama was working with generators to supply power.

The whole area is a mess robert - people are still waiting in 2 mile long lines for 10 gallons of gas.

USPS has many facilities that are closed down in the area including NY and NJ. When something like this happens, the last thing that is worried about is scanning packages as they pass through facilities. It is likely that your package had to be routed either north or south first before it makes it to Ohio. Take a look at the USPS site (big red banner at the very top of the main site) - when you click on that, it tells you that there are a bunch of facilities closed yet in NJ even a week after the storm:

Mail Service Updates

Give them a break!
Stan,

Thanks for the specifics. I am really impressed with Adorama, but moreso with B&H because they apparently loaned generators to Adorama to keep them going. And in the midst of all this they are still price matching, sending boxes out, and carrying on. Good for them.
11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Stan,

Thanks for the specifics. I am really impressed with Adorama, but moreso with B&H because they apparently loaned generators to Adorama to keep them going. And in the midst of all this they are still price matching, sending boxes out, and carrying on. Good for them.
I am also impressed by them both. Image how hard it is for those who could get to work to actually concentrate on work when their own homes were probably still without power. I also read that the NYC commute was quite chaotic even today.

As for USPS - I go to some of these major hubs on a regular basis. After all the consolidation over the past couple years, the major hubs are working at 100% capacity. Some will process (unload and load) as many as 400 53' trailers full of mail every 24 hours. Image this with 50% more trucks coming in because of being redirected from other hubs that had been closed. The scanning at these facilities is still done with hand-held scanners by the mail handlers. In a situation like this, the scanning takes a back seat to just getting the mail off and on the trailers. I've actually seen the inside of these hubs become grid locked - not a pretty sight!
11-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Stan,

That is the spirit of NY. In times of crisis the city comes together and gets up on its feet. With this attitude nothing can destroy the makeup of this greatest city in the world. I work in this city and travel to there everyday. And the city never ceases to amaze me.
11-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am also impressed by them both. Image how hard it is for those who could get to work to actually concentrate on work when their own homes were probably still without power.
Oh, me too. I was in total awe (I work from home and was well out of the way of it all). On the Wednesday after the storm, enough guys made it into the DC to pick and pack, I think ALL orders that had come in immediately prior to and during the storm. Most of them came from homes with no hot water and no electricity, and yet some of them worked 12 or 15 hours that day to get everything out.

Bear in mind that our DC is in Elizabeth NJ........

I was getting surreal emails from the DC manager saying things like "a bench has just appeared in the parking lot and I have no idea where it came from or what I should do with it".

I also want to add that under the best of circumstances packages miss being scanned at the UPS hub on a regular basis. With the number of items they must have been putting through to try and clear the backlog, for sure it would have been more than usual.

However, one thing you can be sure of, if you receive an email from us stating that your package has shipped, then it has left us. The system is fully-automated and those emails only go out when an order leaves us. If you have any queries regarding an individual order, emailing me directly is always the best thing to do first: Helen@adorama.com
11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I've had a similar transaction. Ordered Friday and they didn't get it out the door until Tuesday, but it arrived fast for me because I'm on the Northeast coast.
It is Monday and an update would have shown by noon...EST, so I would say to give them a call by 2 pm EST if it did not update or just wait until Tomorrow by noon-ish, but no later.
I ordered mine Thursday afternoon. It was sent via UPS, and had a delivery date range of 11/8-11/15. I chalked that up to the mess they are dealing with out there and figured I'd get it when I get it, not a big deal. The UPS tracking details also never updated until Tuesday morning...when it said out for delivery! I was quite surprised it made it out so quickly - if it didn't arrive until later this week or next I wouldn't have been upset though, as shipping camera gear out of the east coast region should be the least of theirs or our worries.