Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Pentax vs Nikon Ergonomics

As you closed my previous thread for no reason....
Pentax reviewers often say that Pentax cameras are easy to use.
I beg to differ...

The Pentax menu system seems dated and complicated. Canon's user interface is easier to use. I however, do not like the lack of a rear dial on Canon.
Am I the only one with these thoughts?

11-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The day I picked up my k-x, I was able to use most of it's features intuitively. Menu parsing was easy, all the buttons are nice on the back, and the dial positions and button positions felt natural.

Then I tried a Canon. It was horrid. The rear wheel is kinda hard to use, it wasn't very intuitive where half the controls (AF, etc) were, and the worst part was - the T2i kept on forcing me to hold a button to switch between using aperture and shutter. My k-x allows me to just press the button once to switch, and pressing the shutter halfway switches it back. It's much more stable when trying to change aperture/shutter speeds in the middle of shooting. It was damn hard holding that button, keeping the index finger on the shutter, and rotating that rear wheel.

And then I tried a Nikon - not as many complaints. Still not as intuitive as Pentax. Plus, who on earth decided at Canon and Nikon that the lens release would be located on the other side? It was so easy to change lenses on my k-x (right hand on grip and button, left hand turn lens) - but on the T2i it was trying to grip the left side of the camera while pressing the button.

So I think Pentax is smart in ergonomics.
11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoman1 Quote
Pentax reviewers often say that Pentax cameras are easy to use.
I beg to differ...
Duly noted.
Closed Thread