Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just, ah, if people in the South really want to secede, get me out first, and it shouldn't take 'destroying America' to do it, even if some haters seem to want that.

Fact is, the South *won't* even if the Teabaggers got some mileage out of the idea. Despite all the complaints about 'government spending' the Red states *actually* get more than they pay in.

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Earthshattering, isn't it? I think I haven't heard the word combination "openly gay" around these parts for the last 40-odd years or so. Our politicians, sportsmen/women, TV personalities, businessmen/women, mayors, military, police officers either happen to be gay or not for quite some time now. (although this still seems to be an issue in some sports like soccer even today)

The terminology itself is indicative of where the US as a nation stands in 2012: "openly gay" as if being gay would be something to be ashamed of or a reason not to trust someone to do a particular job, be nice to old people or anything else. Is it thàt difficult to accept?
Actually, in this case I would say it's about the fact that it's likely there have been *closeted* LGBT people in the Senate before.

Actually, Tammy Baldwin was my Representative for oh, it might have been a year before sweetie mentioned she's an out lesbian, and that's not cause she was hiding: it just wasn't that big a deal where we were. She's always been one of the good pols, though, really. Really smart: I think anyone ought to be glad she's in the Senate now.

I'm of course, really happy about how this election went, particularly on four out of four states voting in favor of my civil rights.

I just wasn't that optimistic about this one. Still getting over the shakes and sleeplessness.

11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Earthshattering, isn't it? I think I haven't heard the word combination "openly gay" around these parts for the last 40-odd years or so. Our politicians, sportsmen/women, TV personalities, businessmen/women, mayors, military, police officers either happen to be gay or not for quite some time now. (although this still seems to be an issue in some sports like soccer even today)

The terminology itself is indicative of where the US as a nation stands in 2012: "openly gay" as if being gay would be something to be ashamed of or a reason not to trust someone to do a particular job, be nice to old people or anything else. Is it thàt difficult to accept?
For me, no. Hello? You're probably typing back at one of the most gay friendly straight people on this forum. You do know that? I don't care what someone's preference is, at all. Or even note it usually, but yeah, it is a new thing for most of the nation when it comes to politics. Not everyone who is gay is out and proud. I wish but there are still people in the closet even today, including quite a few of this woman's peers. In politics being out, it can be tough. This woman is a trailblazer so yes, today I'm happy to see her an "openly gay" woman in office.
11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I'm hoping for the USA to collapse. Why? Because that's the only chance The South(or Texas)has to become free from the USA and become an independent nation.
I hope you're on some weird drug, so you can stop taking it. If you're sober, there's not a damn thing we can do for you.

But it does remind me of a funny quote.

During the World Series, Toronto against Atlanta, the CBC interviewed an Atlanta fan on the street. They asked him about how he'd feel about the championship going to a different country. He paused for a moment... and said, "Toronto a different country? naw... now Texas, that's a different country." I think if Texas wants to separate they might be going it alone. The south has issues for sure. The north set their slaves free and then made them treat the ex-slaves like human beings, when they felt it was their right to do otherwise. The Texas agenda seems to be largely that they are Texans, (and way more Mexican than they'd like to think.) Some of them wouldn't be happy as part of any union. Kinda like Quebec in Canada.
11-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
For me, no. Hello? You're probably typing back at one of the most gay friendly straight people on this forum. You do know that? I don't care what someone's preference is, at all. Or even note it usually, but yeah, it is a new thing for most of the nation when it comes to politics. Not everyone who is gay is out and proud. I wish but there are still people in the closet even today, including quite a few of this woman's peers. In politics being out, it can be tough. This woman is a trailblazer so yes, today I'm happy to see her an "openly gay" woman in office.
It's true: down here, even in a pretty liberal area, being 'out' is very much a matter of degree. You've definitely got to assess your vulnerabilities before using pronouns in reference to your partner, and the gubernatorial candidates were falling all over themselves to out-homophobe each other,
calling each other 'soft on gays' and whatnot. It's never been my style to run around in rainbow flags and whatnot, but I'd definitely think twice about that, never mind, I think, run for office that way. I might well feel differently about that if I were a better poster child, ...I'm not really a prime candidate for an 'It Gets Better' video right now. Maybe a 'Hey, it's Been Worse' video.

11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spoke too soon regarding FL. They're still talking recounts, oh shiz, lol.
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I spoke too soon regarding FL. They're still talking recounts, oh shiz, lol.
Need a little help from political scholars here. Romney conceded; so here's my question: If the final vote count, assuming no irregularities/illegalities are found, was such to change the outcome; could Romney claim the presidency even though he conceded. My guess (hope) is no.
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Need a little help from political scholars here. Romney conceded; so here's my question: If the final vote count, assuming no irregularities/illegalities are found, was such to change the outcome; could Romney claim the presidency even though he conceded. My guess (hope) is no.
Florida wouldn't be enough anyway. Florida plus Ohio wouldn't be enough. Once you concede it's over. That's why Kerry was dumb in 2004.

11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Florida wouldn't be enough anyway. Florida plus Ohio wouldn't be enough. Once you concede it's over. That's why Kerry was dumb in 2004.
Even the loss of Virginia wouldn't change it. Frankly, I was thinking Obama would win when Penn. and Mich. were called so early.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, so once a candidate concedes, it's over, right? (Assuming no legal issues with the votes.)
11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Okay, so once a candidate concedes, it's over, right? (Assuming no legal issues with the votes.)

Pretty much. It would take more than the same Florida GOP electioneering people as brought us other bungled/messed up elections raising a stink over it, certainly, even if it were that close in the electoral count. I think about the only ones who'd consider it OK to renege on a concession under these circumstances are Donald Trump and Karl Rove. I think even Glenn Beck's given up whining on that count.
11-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think about the only ones who'd consider it OK to renege on a concession under these circumstances are Donald Trump and Karl Rove.
and Al Gore. He conceded then took it back, remember? In his defense though, it was due to a network illegally publicizing results before the polls closed.
11-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fox News actually called it for Obama prior to CNN. After Fox declared him the winner, I switched to CNN and it took them a minute or two for them to call it.
11-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was watching CNN at the time, made this post, that all. It doesn't matter who called it first to me really. It was just a comment...
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

and Al Gore. He conceded then took it back, remember? In his defense though, it was due to a network illegally publicizing results before the polls closed.
Those were in fact very different circumstances. Not that it was a wise thing for him to do, even if there was pressure while, guess who, Florida counted hanging chads and all.
11-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Fox News actually called it for Obama prior to CNN. After Fox declared him the winner, I switched to CNN and it took them a minute or two for them to call it.

I was watching PBS and getting the data. I actually called this one with good confidence sooner than the networks by a long while. They weren't actually staking anything on making calls themselves, so it was obvious well before Fox people were melting down at each other. Commercial networks have more at stake with that. They reported broadcast networks and if they mentioned cable ones I didn't mark it at the time. And I was feeling dreadfully-pessimistic until the results started coming in. But you could actually tell pretty quickly that the local conservative news' models just weren't holding. Kind of a nice thing about *not* getting too much television. I was a lot more scared beforehand but once data started coming in, it was pretty quick.