But they vote and have delegates.

Jason

11-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
But they vote and have delegates.

Jason
Because they have actual people living there to represent, yes, but that's a whole world away from all the things that the 50 States get to do and if the went there they'd no longer be neutral ground so to speak. The capital was originally not in DC and I guess they found that when it was actually located in a certain state that state's business made it rather partisan at times. Being located in no particular state means the government isn't obligated as much to the state they are in. It's pretty hard to go against the wishes of the state who's territory you're in I would imagine if they have physical control over you. If the capital were in say NY or PA then who's to say that those states couldn't put more pressure on the government when it came to getting the things they wanted. By being neutral ground that's not supposed to happen though of course it probably does to some extent by virtue of where it's located. MD and VA certainly actually have a lot of say about things in DC just simply by virtue of the fact that DC is where it is.

I grew up there and we were certainly not rich by any means, middle class people, my family but my parents worked in DC and just outside it in VA respectively and I saw a lot of DC. We were in and out of it all the time. One of my Dad's poker/drinking buddies was a politician back then, a senator or house rep I think. He gave me a senate pen one time. They had a Redskins football player in that bunch too. DC was no big deal to me. It was just a big rather ugly city (Too much white marble and concrete for me...) that we basically the burbs to and that my parents worked in. It was kind of like living in Jersey and commuting to NYC every day except as I recall the traffic was worse. I was still a kid when we left but I do remember how nasty the Beltway was and how I nearly threw up every time they made me go on it during rush hour because we would stop and start so much...

I never really saw all that much of "our nation's capital" the whole time we lived there. All the monuments, government buildings and such. I only saw a couple of the monuments from a distance on field trips and only the federal building my Mom worked in. My Mom liked the Smithsonian so we'd go there a lot but the rest? She couldn't be bothered with any of that. Neither could Dad. They were typical barflies, the daily cocktail hour was all back then. I saw a lot of the DC bars and I got taken to a few neat places to eat, to a lot of swanky parties in Georgetown, though all I ever really saw of those was the room where all the kids got dumped. Needless to say I really wasn't all that impressed with DC. I actually remember meeting quite a few important people government, sports people, actors and such, but I hardly remember who at this point. Didn't feel much like the heart of the country to me...I haven't been back as an adult. I suppose I should probably go one of these days and get a better sense of what the place is. I daresay there's far more to it than bars and concrete buildings but that's all I remember now almost....That and this big really impressive supposedly unlucky blue diamond my Mom showed me once. I'm not much into sparking stones but that one I liked and I'd still like to see it in person again someday....

This is what I remember most about the Smithsonian and DC, standing in front of this and wishing I could take that pretty bauble home with me, laugh...

http://www.si.edu/Encyclopedia_SI/nmnh/hope.htm

Closest I ever got was one of these...

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2012/03/Heart-Of-The-Ocean-133286910...r:3,s:20,i:147

Mine wasn't even real crystal....sigh....turned out to be a piece of Chinese made knock off junk my "replica" necklace....It turned my neck green then fell apart....:P

Last edited by magkelly; 11-08-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Closed Thread