Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just one question

To all who were doing the Obama happy dance last night.........
...... How are your investment portfolios looking this evening?

Last edited by seacapt; 11-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Depends on how much stock you had in SWHC!

Hospital stocks also rallied on all the cattle being herded into the slaughterhouse by obamacare.
11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Depends on how much stock you had in SWHC!

Damn I wish I had thought of that!
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Investments?? hmm - now its the time to invest (buy).

Also considering investing in Bain because Romney may now just return to his old job, the one he does best. Make tons of money by calling bluffs and shipping jobs to China. Great! Thanks for drawing my attention to the opportunity.

11-07-2012, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Still dancing...

Dow Jones is up 63% from when Obama took office.

A stark contrast to the 25% drop during Bush's presidency.

That said, fears of a German slowdown might have affected the market today.
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If the market grows as much in the second term, I'll be retiring.
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Oh, no, my investment portfolio!

I think I've really gotta do something about this water neck gasket before winter, if I can spare the few bucks and make my hands cooperate?

Gods forbid Wall Street might have a petulant dip in *stock* portfolios cause we didn't elect a climate denier who says I'm living too large to deserve an apartment, never mind a stock portfolio, cause obviously he was 'God-ordained' to call it 'values' that sweetie and I don't have a home or health care or a decent wage, both of which probably have *spent* about all of what we were calling our nest egg (and my fund to see a better doctor) before things finally got bad enough thanks to Dubya's policies.

Investment portfolio? I got a K20d and an old computer and a slightly-less-obsolete video card, both kindly sent to me by someone I haven't heard from since his *home* got flooded out.

Investment portfolio?

The Grinch that just couldn't let me as a citizen of Massachusetts feel like a full citizen for more than a few hours has not been elected to scapegoat me further and make it worse. Maybe one day, now, sweetie and I can be together again and *have* an investment folio that isn't forefeit the moment a straight person demands it of whoever survives.

The guy who wouldn't admit his economic plan because it was mathematically impossible didn't get elected and I give a *shite* about Wall Street returns today?

Boo-hoo for Wall Street?

Seriously, dude. They've been making money hand over fist. Still haven't seen fit to do much of anything for the *real* economy. Especially my *real* cash-on-the-barrelhead* one.

I'm too psyched that just maybe if I reach the point of having a savings account with something in it, never mind an 'investment portfolio,' I'll be a free citizen that *has* it. But I ain't picky. Still gotta raise a bit of scratch for an oil change. Or gas. Especially while it's gotten cheap again.

Seriously, dude. I'm afraid to order a few *checks* to pay the damn rent with cause that comes out of my 'investment portfolio.' Which is a 93 Volvo with 300000 miles on her.

When I was talking about equipment upgrades and a little house somewhere *Bush* cut our little nest egg in half. Like that. It wasn't much. And we didn't owe anyone a thin freaking *dime.* But what's left is an old car in the driveway. So I can get my prescriptions once in a while. Cause she's *still* cheaper than a Godsforsaken cab.

That's my freakin' investment portfolio. And *that's* falling apart for want of a nail, and a nail, and a nail. That's all I got to show for my last ten years. Seeing my *sweetie* through a PhD and her losing everything for want of... Health care. Us being married.

How *dare* you ask me to cry for Wall Street? They made a housing bubble. Held a gun to our economy's head to keep the rents and costs high while perfectly good homes and lives went to *rot* and you want me to cry for your ing *dividends?*

What, cause a man who thinks he's a Bishop of some God and capitalism that says it's our fault if Wall Street monkeys a number cause their greed is displeased today? ? He's spent thousands of dollars for every couple like me he demands to hurt and I'm gonna cry cause the rigch queerbasher didn't get elected to do it *again?*

No.

Not cryin.

Not for Wall Street. The waters of the Godsforsaken denial they spent billions on is swirling about their ankles and they don't care. Then they don't get a maniac elected, to do even worse and worse to me as promised. You wanna blame who for them what... Hurting people with stocks cause they don't like who got elected? Call that America? Is that what you're saying?

You really think I'm at the point of giving a shit?

Mr. Stockholder? Poor mr portfolio?

I mean. Dude. Romney's *church* has spent more per capita *hurting* me and all Americans like me than it would have *cost* ship us off to Lesbos with a house and pension. And I'm supposed to whine the Bishop with no plan but hurting me didn't get elected? And now Wall Street decides to say whatever their deal is will cost you? Today? Same bastards who spent more on climate denial than even *considering* what, building a freaking jetty or a generator or anything? "The private sector will take over once you're all declared wrthless sinners"

Yah. Right.

Oh. Guess what. No.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.
11-07-2012, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oh, no, my investment portfolio!

I think I've really gotta do something about this water neck gasket before winter, if I can spare the few bucks and make my hands cooperate?
Thanks for putting it in perspective. We can be a shallow lot.

Larry
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote

Over 2x spending more than any other president since Nixon. That comes out to many trillions of dollars.

Let me put a clearler picture on that one for everyone out there. That money owed will in fact be directly passed along to both your children and grandchildren. So I'm sure they would thank you all for items such as foreign spending, also spending it one 100++ million dollar jet fighters that cannot fly to sav their pilots lives, etc... The people and government of China would also thank you - because that's a good portion of exactly whom we owe the money to. While the american infrastructure and people settle for new lower standards; the ecnomy of China will actually exceed that of america in his new term.

Yet at this rate of spending there won't be an america in less than six years
11-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Stock market drops because of worries in the EU and you freak out???
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The stock market wasn't nearly so risky before the internet made everybody with a keyboard an investment broker. I don't invest in anything but gold anymore.
11-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ RML
Miss Rat , I do empathize with you. As we have discussed privately there have been times in my life when I was in or not far from your current situation . Heck , right now I'm living and solely supporting a family from month to month with nothing going into personal savings or investment . I don't have too many more years left to make it. The only thing that really keeps me going is the fact that I decided to pay off allmost all of my dept a few years back , opperate my business with absolute minimal use of credit and not buy what I can't afford. I guess raw determination has something to do with it also. BTW as far as old rides go I got you beat , the truck I drive every day is a 1988 GMC with 350,000+ miles but I like it , the seat fits my butt.

I am in no way "boo hooing Wall Street " but I do feel sorry for those who are loosing life saving invested in it.

Last edited by seacapt; 11-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.
11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The stock market wasn't nearly so risky before the internet made everybody with a keyboard an investment broker. I don't invest in anything but gold anymore.
That actually has nothing to do with it, you know.

As for gold, or gold bond powder, good luck eating *that* when no one particularly has anything to sell you.

Kind of like a bad scene in geneva once upon a time. Very holy. People might as well eat their grandparents on gold plates.
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I wasn't dancing. More like breathing a sigh of relief at the idea that Romney wasn't going to be putting anyone on the Supreme Court anytime soon, but the answer to your question is "What investment portfolio?" Who has money to sock it away? Not me. I'm not making enough for that. I'll be working till I drop and that won't likely change no matter who gets elected...
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If the market grows as much in the second term, I'll be retiring.
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote

Gentlemen , I'm truely glad that you were able to stay in for the long haul or invest at extreme lows but lots of people couldn't afford to.
Now , I am getting a bit grey and my memory isn't what it used to be so I had to do a little research but the big drop happened during the very end of the "Bush presidency". One month prior to the elections to be precise. A pre election drop is not uncommon due to investment uncertainty but this one was exceptional due mainly to unprecidented lending institution problems. There was a glut of forclosures due to sub prime lending. Real estate values were going down and banks were not even making normal risk loans.Contrary to what some will say , a great deal of sub prime lending was if not directly attributable to at least influenced by Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac policy. For what its worth in my opinion there is a big difference between a well considered risk "sub prime" loan and flat out stupid but Federally gauranteed loan. So yes the stuff really hit the fan during the last four months of Bush's term and even though Fannie and Freddie were the work of the Dems , not Bush it is your perogative to blame him if you'd like. The market took another big hit imediately after Obama took office with several subsequent drops but yes it has climbed up slowly since in part due to federal money. Here is what I consider an informative and concise quick read on the subject- Stock Market Crash of 2008

All that being said the fact is that today the market took the biggest one day post election drop since the last time Obama was elect.
If you choose to blame it all on Germany , that also is your perogative but at least admit alot of people are hurting.

Last edited by seacapt; 11-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Closed Thread