Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OMG! It's Snowing In NY and NJ!

According to the media in general, and The Weather Channel in particular, we're on the eve of destruction. There's snow falling on the East Coast. Take cover! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
OMG! It's Sowing In NY and NJ!

I guess... you sow what you reap~

But seriously, it's snowing. Really annoyingly.
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was cloudy in Syracuse today. Absolutely awful.
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
To you it's annoying; the media is presenting it as Armageddon.
Maybe I'm a bit jaded due to where I've lived for 35 years. Our "windy" is East Coast's hurricane. Our "scattered snow showers" is someone else's blizzard.
Just a bit ticked off that TWC preempted Coast Guard Florida because it's snowing on the Eastern Seaboard.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-07-2012 at 08:47 PM.
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well it's annoying in NYC - but I understand it's gonna be a sort of Hell out on Long Island
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What makes it so hard on them right now is the fact that they have an ocean of water to their backs and nothing to stop it hardly. A big storm is bad enough when you're on level land but it's worse when you're mostly below sea level and the ocean is a very real threat. The people way out in Brooklyn, LI etc, and on the Jersey Shore they'll be flooded again during the storm and after it too when any snow melts. Many of them are still sans heat, power, even homes. A week after a hurricane it's no joke this happening. Imagine living in a tent in your backyard, in November sans heat or anything, still in the middle of a huge mess, behind a house you can't even live in anymore and realizing that you're going to be slammed yet again by another storm, this one a lot colder even. I'm sincerely hoping most of the people who are still homeless because of Sandy have found shelter tonight because I would not want a dog sleeping outside under those conditions, let alone human beings.
11-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
corrected your typo jim pretty sure you weren't calling for female pigs to fall on ny and nj

I have freinds in brooklyn still without power so i understand the reason they might worry, nyc ne er could handle a snowstorm of any impact. i craced up when london shut down the other year and i looked at it and thought crap just get a broom and sweep your walk ya lazy gits
this sounds like a more serious storm though
11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Dammit eddie, you've ruined the fun

11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You do know that England traditionally does sometimes get some really nasty storms, and really bad winters? The Thames has actually frozen a few times. They used to have Frost Fairs when it did that. Like a carnival only on the ice. Sounds pretty cool to me. UK has been having some pretty freaky weather the past century or so. It used to be a lot colder and snowier than it is now. Now it rains a lot more but they used to get major snow like crazy back in olden times.

And anyway a real NY area snowstorm is nothing to sneeze at. They get can get like 10-20 foot drifts in places like Buffalo and I've actually been snowed in when I lived in NYC and Philly. There was enough snow that it covered the top of the door of our brownstone. We had several feet of staircase before the bottom of the door so imagine what it took in inches to cover it up that high in snow. It blocked us in until we got dug out. We could not do it ourselves. We had to hire someone with a machine finally. City did the main streets but not the houses and the side roads. We were snowbound for like a week. In NYC on the Upper West Side. Not such a little snowstorm that year.

I tried to go out, once. Ended up 3 or 4 feet down in a hole in the snow. My roommates had to let me down a rope so I could clamber up. The snow was way taller than me. It sounds funny, and it was, but probably wouldn't have been if I had been out there on my own. I will never do that again. Attempt to walk on a bank of snow. It was too dumb, lol. But I didn't know. That was the most snow I'd ever seen and I had this idea that it would be packed and that I could just carefully walk to the main sidewalks. Nope, probably not, even with snowshoes, lol...

I'd love to see one of these though....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

Last edited by magkelly; 11-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.
11-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I worked for 20 years as a stagehand in NYC and have friends on staten island that are still without power. They will be cold and miserable tonight.
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It's November. It's supposed to snow. We had some flurries at work this evening but it looks like the worst has passed off to the east. It will be mild again by the weekend. I was looking forward to some skiing. Looks like Vermont did ok though.
11-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
corrected your typo jim pretty sure you weren't calling for female pigs to fall on ny and nj
Thanks, Eddie. That's what happens when my brain moves faster than my thumbs move across my Droid keyboard.
11-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Serioously, Jim, a Nor'easter normally isn't that big a crisis ...when your house is standing and there's supplies and power and your block's not already flooded, etc.

This can add up to some pretty significant problems in an area that densely-populated.
11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Serioously, Jim, a Nor'easter normally isn't that big a crisis ...when your house is standing and there's supplies and power and your block's not already flooded, etc.

This can add up to some pretty significant problems in an area that densely-populated.
I certainly don't mean to trivialize the event in terms of how it's affecting people. The media aspect is another issue. It's causing more heartache and grief than I would ever want to experience for a lot of people; but I'm not sure how snow flake by snow flake coverage by the media changes that.
Hello? TWC? Hello? Helllllooooooooooooooo, it's November and yes, it's snows in November.
11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Things are still a mess down there. We sent 7 trailers loaded with food south again tonight. A lot of motels up here are full, almost like summer. They started gas rationing down there but our gas up here, 200 miles north, dropped another nickel today. Go figure that one out. In a normal late fall/early winter, we're good for a stormy day or two out of every week. The Weather Channel is naming winter storms now. Must be their ratings are down. This past storm was nothing compared to the October 2011 nor'easter which dumped 24-36 inches of snow across southern New England an over a foot in the Hudson Valley. A lot of people in Upstate NY and Vermont were still camping out after Irene when that one hit. Fall snowstorms are a fairly normal event.