Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Drinking the Kool-Aid - interesting article

I don't recall hearing the phrase before reading it in these Forums, though I imagine it must have been around in the era.

Regardless of that, this article contains some interesting history (that I do remember) as well as providing a literary warning about the loose use of the phrase.

Stop Saying 'Drink the Kool-Aid' - Chris Higgins - The Atlantic

Enjoy, if that's the right word for some of the content.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-08-2012 at 11:33 PM.
11-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The phrase has been updated since 1967 as it applies to the liberal media. It is now "Fresh squeezed Kool Aid".
11-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I always thought that people were referring to the Guyana punch tragedy in the 70s....
11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

So did I. Don't drink the electric Kool Aid! Full of cyanide.

Best regards,

/Clay

11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
I always thought that people were referring to the Guyana punch tragedy in the 70s....
That's the first time I remember hearing the phrase. It may have different meanings to others but I will always associate it with Jonestown.
11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is definitely meant to be a cultural reference to Jonestown. IE don't follow blindly and become a cult member because it could get you killed. I actually started hearing that used as slang in school not too long after it happened. It was pretty wide spread by 1983 or so. It's kind of a nasty thing to say when you think about where it came from but it is something people say all the time now without thinking.
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It is definitely meant to be a cultural reference to Jonestown. IE don't follow blindly and become a cult member because it could get you killed. I actually started hearing that used as slang in school not too long after it happened. It was pretty wide spread by 1983 or so. It's kind of a nasty thing to say when you think about where it came from but it is something people say all the time now without thinking.
Actually, he started with Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters and the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Wolfe's book about it came out in 1968.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LSD spiked Kool-Aid is what the hippies, Grateful Dead, Kesey et al. referred to it. All Jones did was put a dark spin on it.

11-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Besides, the people at Jonestown didn't drink Kool-Aid. They drank Flavor Aid.
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't recall hearing the phrase before reading it in these Forums, though I imagine it must have been around in the era.

Regardless of that, this article contains some interesting history (that I do remember) as well as providing a literary warning about the loose use of the phrase.

Stop Saying 'Drink the Kool-Aid' - Chris Higgins - The Atlantic

Enjoy, if that's the right word for some of the content.
Maybe Chris Higgins needs to read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.
11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This image is used on several of the Watch forums when someone is such a fanboi that they deny obvious problems with a watch/brand.
11-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
The phrase has been updated since 1967 as it applies to the liberal media. It is now "Fresh squeezed Kool Aid".
Is that what Fox is saying? You may have missed a step since Jonestown.
11-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The phrase referred to the Jonestown tragedy, not some cheesy paperback.Ask root boy slim.
11-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
The phrase referred to the Jonestown tragedy, not some cheesy paperback.Ask root boy slim.
Maybe old root can ask Ken Kesey since they are both dead!
11-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, he started with Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters and the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Wolfe's book about it came out in 1968.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LSD spiked Kool-Aid is what the hippies, Grateful Dead, Kesey et al. referred to it. All Jones did was put a dark spin on it.
Right!!! Drinking the Kool-aid was an expression long before the Jonestown tragedy. I know this because I was around then, unlike some of you. "Someone's been drinking the Kool-Aid" means you're acting high, like someone on acid, i.e. confused, silly, out of touch with reality. It was intended to be humurous and always got a laugh when used appropriately.

Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary and LSD were not obscure in the hippy era, they were famous or infamous, depending on your age and POV.
11-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Most of us who are older remember Kesey, Wolfe's book, and spiked punch. The phrase in question still refers to the mass suicide in Jonestown and in a couple of movies about the tragedy, that's what they were telling people to do over the sound system. The article covers all the other references to the phrase also. The most common understanding of the term in today's world is the blind obedience of Jones's followers. The writer of the article thinks it's offensive to say it but the phrase isn't going anywhere and will likely be around for a long time, just like little kids still sing 'ring around the rosie' which refers to thousands dying in the streets during the black plague.