Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Maybe all Republicans aren't the same, but radicals have been suppressing or driving out the moderates. The problem with your theory is that a moderate couldn't have won the primary. Only one moderate Republican stepped up to run for office (Huntsman), and he was virtually ignored by everyone, including the press. Huntsman was the most honest, sincere and thoughtful Republican I've seen in a long time running for President (and, compared to the rest of the candidates running—a virtual Einsteinian saint), so why is it he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being chosen? I say it's because the Republican party has been hijacked by extremists, and that is why they lost the election, or what I see as half the reason anyway.

What's the other half? Something too many on the Right refuse to acknowledge: Obama is a brilliant and competent leader with a good heart. To have the combination of such intelligence, education, sincerity and humility in the most powerful position on Earth has not gone unnoticed by a lot of us; then factor in how Obama's spirit created a rather dramatic contrast against the incredibly duplicitous mien of Romney and his incompetent team of thugs (offering another Bush-like Presidency) and well . . .
Related:
Yashar Ali: Why Mitt Romney Lost: Empathy
QuoteQuote:
People can try to explain that Mitt Romney did many wonderful things for many people, that his advisors should be blamed for poor messaging or that the Democrats "swiftboated" him, but in my mind it is nearly impossible to manufacture or message empathy. While a political candidate can say all the right things, without a sense of empathy for the population, he/she will eventually display a lack of humanity and understanding.

A perfect example of this was Mitt Romney's "47 percent" moment (notice I didn't use the word "gaffe").

But excuse-making doesn't work for either of the political parties. Perception is everything in politics. If you have to spend time explaining why people are misunderstanding your message, you're never going to gain their support. There are no "buts" in politics.

To prove that I'm not delving into partisan attacks here, I want to look at a Democratic defeat. Of the many factors that led to John Kerry's loss in 2004 (key word: many), there is one that he shares with Mitt Romney: disconnection.

I honestly don't think that their supposed disconnection from the rest of America has anything to do with wealth. In other words, the fact that both men are incredibly wealthy did not and does not lead to this disconnection. People who don't have money can be just as lacking in the empathy department as people who do have money. We connect wealth as a way of explaining why they don't understand or why they at least lack the ability to project that they understand. However, these two men wouldn't be able to express empathy if they were working in a minimum wage job.

People make jokes about this, but when Bill Clinton said "I feel your pain" in the 1992 presidential election, it had a startling impact on how he was seen.

"I feel your pain" may be seen as cheesy, but anyone in a difficult position wants to know that what they are facing is understood by others, especially by the man or woman who is vying to lead their country.

So how does this all play out in real life? If you're a part of one of these groups that is struggling, this is what you heard/hear from the Republican Party, and this is what many voters perceive of the Republican Party:

Undocumented Immigrants: You should be ashamed of yourself for trying to give your family a better life. Look over your shoulder. And if your parents brought you here as a young child, too bad. Not our problem.

Gay and Lesbian people: Your love is impure and you don't deserve validation or any legal protections. Your relationship doesn't exist.

Women: You have just faced the most gut-wrenching, painful trauma in your life: sexual assault. And now, you realize that you have been impregnated. Now get over it. Too bad.

Anyone on Government Assistance: You are a lazy thief.

Again, the intention of the party or candidate doesn't matter, it's all about perception.

11-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This in no country for old white men anymore.
To be more precise a country for wealthy old white men.

And in another generation the great demographic shift the left is talking about will probably just result in a country for wealthy old brown men and, women.

Things must change a little so they may remain the same.

Last edited by wildman; 11-11-2012 at 03:33 AM.
11-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of course, but not all republicans are the same, just like not all democrats are the same. A more centrist candidate who was more in-touch with middle class voters would have made a difference. ...
The problem is that candidate would not have been a Republican nominee. Indiana is not the heart of the GOP these days. It is Texas. The GOP primary voter is more like the Texas voter.

The 47% comment is not just a Romney phenomenon. The entire GOP establishment needs to get off the "makers" and "takers" line.
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The problem is that candidate would not have been a Republican nominee. Indiana is not the heart of the GOP these days. It is Texas. The GOP primary voter is more like the Texas voter.

The 47% comment is not just a Romney phenomenon. The entire GOP establishment needs to get off the "makers" and "takers" line.
I think that a centrist candidate who actually excited voters in the GOP could win by increasing turn out in the primaries, to overwhelm the tiny (but very conservative) number of voters who normally turn out to be the party "king-makers." The reality is that even in fairly conservative districts, candidates like Todd Akin just really have no shot at winning, particularly since the Democrats they face tend to be fairly conservative as well.

11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that a centrist candidate who actually excited voters in the GOP could win by increasing turn out in the primaries, to overwhelm the tiny (but very conservative) number of voters who normally turn out to be the party "king-makers." The reality is that even in fairly conservative districts, candidates like Todd Akin just really have no shot at winning, particularly since the Democrats they face tend to be fairly conservative as well.
A party of about 28% of the electorate, the majority of which identify themselves as "conservative" or "very conservative" will have difficulty getting its primary voters excited with a moderate. The most conservative 15-20% of the country controls nomination. Moreover, the Republican party has a tendency to go black or white, and identify all who are not "conservative" as "liberal." True moderates end up labeled in a way that is deadly to nomination. Conservative talkers make this worse.

On the other hand, since Clinton's time, the percentage of Democrats identifying as "liberals" has been about 29%. It is easier to get Democrats excited about more moderate candidates.
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Doumbfounding the Newt.............

QuoteQuote:
Romney has 58.8 million votes. McCain received 59.9 million votes in 2008.
Read more: Newt Gingrich: ?Dumfounded? by election - Kevin Robillard - POLITICO.com

QuoteQuote:
“But if you had said to me three weeks ago that Mitt Romney would get fewer votes than John McCain — and it looks like he’ll be 2 million fewer — I would have been dumbfounded.”
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This article fleshes out what I've been saying since I heard this constant junk about the GOP problem with Hispanics being immigration. The Republicans? Fallacy About Latino Voters And What Motivates Them - The Daily Beast It is not. As Beinart points out, Hispanic Americans are not "tea partiers with visa problems." It is economic. Hispanic Americans earn an average of 1/3 less than non-hispanic whites. If you tell some of the hardest working and least compensated Americans that the economic system will be even better if rich people get taxes less and can do more of what they want, it falls on somewhat deaf ears. It is not about ethnicity so much as income.