Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahh respect.. what a concept

GOP Leaders John Boehner and Mitch McConnell Refuse to Accept President Obama's Election Night Call

QuoteQuote:
However, when President Obama tried to call Republican leaders House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority leader Mitch McConnell that night, he was told they were both asleep, reports the New York Times.

On Wednesday afternoon, House Speaker Boehner was awake and took President Obama's call in a brief exchange about the need for a budget compromise to avoid $700 billion in automatic tax increases and spending cuts that would go into effect at the end of the year, if no compromise is reached.

Later that day, House Speaker Boehner told reporters that he would be willing to raise taxes, but not on the top earners, and would agree to spending cuts in social programs.

This was basically GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney's economic plan, which had been rejected by 50 million Americans less than 24 hours earlier.

11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Later that day, House Speaker Boehner told reporters that he would be willing to raise taxes, but not on the top earners, and would agree to spending cuts in social programs.
This sounds a bit off. I don't think any politician who is in their right mind would say something like this.

If I remember correctly from other articles that I read, Boehenr actually said that he would not raise taxes, but was open to raising revenue (presumably by closing certain tax loopholes, etc.). I am assuming the mechanism they choose to use to “raise revenue” will have a similar effect to raising taxes, but allow all of the Republicans who signed the anti-tax pledge to put political spin on it and save face.