Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless connection to a TV via an Android device...

Hi everyone,

This is a bit "off photography" topic.

I want to be able to send signals (connect) from my Android devices (tablet and smartphone) to my TV.
The TV does NOT have a DNLA port but my Blu-Ray player does.

The tablet is an ASUS TF700 Infinity and the phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE.

If anyone knows how to make such a wireless connection, I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks!

JP

11-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #2

What TV do you have? Does it happen to have an ethernet port available, which you can then connect to a wireless router?
11-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by huyie Quote
What TV do you have? Does it happen to have an ethernet port available, which you can then connect to a wireless router?
The TV is a Samsung but does not have an Ethernet port.
However, the Blu-Ray player does (LAN) and I was told that it could be used for this type of "connection" when the TV doesn not have this option.

JP
11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

I assume TV and Blu-Ray player is connected via HDMI 1.3 (ideally 1.4 but I don't think both of your devices would have it).
Maybe you could try connecting the Blu-Ray player to a wireless access point, and install Samsung Remote on either Android devices to see if at least it recognises the TV. Or even install 2Player to see if it recognises the DLNA device.

What model Samsung TV do you have? Otherwise you might need to update the firmware on it over USB. (You could even try hacked firmware like SamyGo, but you need to follow the instructions carefully). That way, at least the AllShare feature should at least work between TV and phone.

Last edited by huyie; 11-13-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added extra info
11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I assume TV and Blu-Ray player is connected via HDMI 1.3 (ideally 1.4 but I don't think both of your devices would have it).
It is connected via HDMI indeed, but I am not sure if it is 1.3 or 1.4 for either.
Maybe you could try connecting the Blu-Ray player to a wireless access point, and install Samsung Remote on either Android devices to see if at least it recognises the TV. Or even install 2Player to see if it recognises the DLNA device.
That would make sense as I saw something about a "WAP" somewhere in my searches.
What model Samsung TV do you have? Otherwise you might need to update the firmware on it over USB. (You could even try hacked firmware like SamyGo, but you need to follow the instructions carefully). That way, at least the AllShare feature should at least work between TV and phone.
The TV model is: LN32C350, and a few more characters: 1DXZC.
I found the user manual online here: Support - LCD TV LN32C350D1D | Samsung TVs, but mine does not have internet connection.
Is a wireless access point device a "router" ? If it is, I already have a router connected to my main computer (a Windows PC). If not, does it mean that I would have to purchase it separately?
I know where to find the Samsung Remote online ... I also saw that when doing some "Googling".

Thanks for the info again !

JP
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #6

Is it a wireless router though? What brand/model router? Do you use Wi-Fi at home?

What are you planning to do that you need to 'connect' between Android devices and the Samsung TV/Blu-Ray Player? Might be able to give you other suggestions what you can do for that purpose. It would be easier to connect your Android devices over Wi-Fi, and have a direct ethernet cable from the Blu-Ray Player to the same Wi-Fi router (assuming distance from TV/Blu-Ray to the router isn't a problem).

If the purpose is to use the Android devices as a remote control, then you'll more likely only need an IR transmitter/blaster/emitter connected (downside, range is bad, up to 3 metres). You can make one yourself based on some DIY guides available, or purchase off ebay from a guy in Spain (under $10). Has the added benefit that it will work with your camera to within ~ 3 metres, but you will need to get an app such as PhotoIRmote).
I'm only aware that the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 and Sony Xperia Tablet S have an inbuilt IR blaster, whereas your ASUS TF700 Infinity doesn't have it included. For your phone, you won't have one included either (I have the Australian variant of your phone (S2 4G), which doesn't have one, so I assume yours won't have one either).

It also might be best to update the firmware based on the link you gave me anyway and look for Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) - Jun 21, 2011. I assume you have had your TV way before that date anyway.

Last edited by huyie; 11-14-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added minor correction
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is it a wireless router though? What brand/model router? Do you use Wi-Fi at home?
Yes, I have a Wi-Fi set up at home. I can "connect" to it via my tablet, my phone and another "mini" PC.
The router is a TP-LINK TL-WR841N

What are you planning to do that you need to 'connect' between Android devices and the Samsung TV/Blu-Ray Player? Might be able to give you other suggestions what you can do for that purpose. It would be easier to connect your Android devices over Wi-Fi, and have a direct ethernet cable from the Blu-Ray Player to the same Wi-Fi router (assuming distance from TV/Blu-Ray to the router isn't a problem).
The plan is to wirelessly connect the android device(s) (tablet/phone) so that I will not have to use the HDMI cable to connect directly to the TV. I also want to be able to use the TV as if it were the tablet itself: you input stuff into the tablet and you get the image(s) on the TV. Just like you would connect a PC to a large monitor for instance.
If the purpose is to use the Android devices as a remote control, then you'll more likely only need an IR transmitter/blaster/emitter connected (downside, range is bad, up to 3 metres). You can make one yourself based on some DIY guides available, or purchase off ebay from a guy in Spain (under $10). Has the added benefit that it will work with your camera to within ~ 3 metres, but you will need to get an app such as PhotoIRmote).
I'm only aware that the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 and Sony Xperia Tablet S have an inbuilt IR blaster, whereas your ASUS TF700 Infinity doesn't have it included. For your phone, you won't have one included either (I have the Australian variant of your phone (S2 4G), which doesn't have one, so I assume yours won't have one either).
I don't plan using the tablet/phone as a remote.
It also might be best to update the firmware based on the link you gave me anyway and look for Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) - Jun 21, 2011. I assume you have had your TV way before that date anyway.
Thanks.

JP

11-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Hook up an ethernet cable between the Blu-Ray player to a LAN port of the TP-LINK TL-WR841N.

You'll need a DLNA compliant app such as Skifta on phone/tablet to be able to stream things like songs, photos and videos to your Blu-Ray player.
Not sure if there is a way to display what you see on either tablet/phone to your TV without connecting a HDMI cable, as it will be very bandwidth intensive and would be very choppy if there is a way to do it over Wi-Fi.
11-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, a DLNA compliant app would work, but there are limitations since this norm is not well implemented. The new Miracast norm should help with this.

In the meantime, I suggest two things:

1-if you want to share only music, then purchase a bluetooth to audio dongle (I got one from eBay for 7$, works like a charm) and connect it to the TV (or your receiver if you have one).

2-if you want to stream video, run apps, etc, then purchase a Vizio Google TV device for 100$, and you'll be all set.
11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Indeed, a DLNA compliant app would work, but there are limitations since this norm is not well implemented. The new Miracast norm should help with this.

In the meantime, I suggest two things:

1-if you want to share only music, then purchase a bluetooth to audio dongle (I got one from eBay for 7$, works like a charm) and connect it to the TV (or your receiver if you have one).

2-if you want to stream video, run apps, etc, then purchase a Vizio Google TV device for 100$, and you'll be all set.
This Vizio Google TV device seems to be the thing.

I've just watched a video and it looks good. I'll do a little more Googling before comitting ... nonetheless, a very interesting device.

Thanks.

JP
11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hook up an ethernet cable between the Blu-Ray player to a LAN port of the TP-LINK TL-WR841N.

You'll need a DLNA compliant app such as Skifta on phone/tablet to be able to stream things like songs, photos and videos to your Blu-Ray player.
Not sure if there is a way to display what you see on either tablet/phone to your TV without connecting a HDMI cable, as it will be very bandwidth intensive and would be very choppy if there is a way to do it over Wi-Fi.
Thanks Huyie.

JP