Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I'm sick of smart phones.

I've had a Samsung Droid Charge since April. My first smart phone. I have 1x data at home which is painful to use. I can drive 10 miles away and have 3g which is still painful. 5 miles further to get to 4g and it's not as painful, but still painful. Puny arse screens, stupid texting. Can't anyone call me anymore? But, above all else is the battery life. I have an extended battery, but even with this, I have to live near a charging station as if I have a case of diarrhea needing to be near a bathroom. I've installed juice defender, I've turned off data, eliminated unnecessary apps, and still I can't get through a day without charging. This is a second battery too, so it's good. As I type this, my stupid phone is notifying me that my battery is at 23% and I might want to plug it in. It's hot too. Stupid phone. Now, It's been pretty much in standby since 9:00 this morning. This is typical of my day. I don't call or play on this stupid phone and still it can't have enough gas to make it through one whole day. Wait, it just jingled me again to tell me my battery is critical at 19% and I'd better fill up soon.

Time to go back to when a phone worked great for 4 days or so without charging and it didn't cost me 30 bucks extra per month just to listen to a notification jingle telling me my battery is almost tapped out for the day. Of all the great toys technology has given us in the last 20 years, smart phones aren't one of them. They're just stupid.

Larry

11-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Settings, More settings, Mobile networks, Network mode, change to GSM only. (Based on your saying you have to drive 10miles to get 3G coverage). This will improve your battery life.
11-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There are ones with better life.

I have a HTC Wildfire, I can get a week from a charge.

Granted, I don't have data, and rarely use any apps (apart from the torch)
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I totally agree. I am using a two year old LG Octane and just bought a new battery rather than replace the phone as the choice of 'dumb' phones at Verizon is terrible and I refuse to pay an extra 30.00 a month for a data plan I don't want. Bring back decent 'dumb' phones please.

11-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree. I've never had a smart phone as I'm too cheap. I just need to talk so why pay for a data plan. My son bought an iPhone 5 this week (his $$ not mine) and I thought it would sway me to want one. Nope, I still don't need one.
11-15-2012, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Long live dumb phones. My Samsung 271 Xcover easily makes it through a week without charging. However, waterproof dumb phones don't seem to be made any more and a day will come when I'll get a smart phone too.
11-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't use 4G or 3G if you don't have the signal for it. Your phone uses more power trying to search for 3/4G networks than it would if it was actually on them. So it's not really your phones fault - its your network providers fault for not providing for adequate service coverage. You could have a dumb-phone with 3/4G and you'll still have the same issues.

11-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #8

I really like my Galaxy Note. Fast, versatile, decent battery life (charge once a day, usually just charge overnight). I use it a LOT...

In fact, I just sent this from my Note!
11-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand Larry. You have choice. You can go back to the ever reliable Nokia 3210 or similar excellent mobile phones and return to a phone system that never crashed, is difficult to destroy, and works brilliantly as a phone and texting tool (albeit nothing else). And then save your money in the process by just using your internet on a laptop or home computer instead of your phone.

The iPhone has made my life (and many others) easier and more efficient. And I don't use the social media aspect of the smartphone very much at all. But it does make sharing images a lot easier and quicker...
11-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody whose work life revolves around time commitments and email, and who's on the move appreciates a smart phone. Kids (including "kidults") love them for social media (mixed blessing, IMO, but there you are), music (or something vaguely resembling it) and photographing themselves and their friends.

I first got an iPhone so I didn't have to carry around both a dumb phone and an organiser. Now I don't need a separate GPS, either. I'd never dream of going backwards, but those who live a simpler life should probably avoid owning a smart phone, especially a cheap, under-powered and under-performing one.
11-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have an old Motorola Droid. (The first model.) Still works great & the battery life is pretty good. I stick it on the charger before I go to bed, and that's enough. I'd be stuck without my smartphone. I don't text much on it, but I do check my e-mail, and I can't tell you how many times the GPS has kept me from getting very lost.
11-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
I really like my Galaxy Note
Is that the first one or second? - I have the II on my wish list for next month - have a dumb phone at the moment but want a bit of device and notebook convergence. Have read lots of good reports - we'll see...
11-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I recently got a new HTC 4G Droid before a trip to 3 countries.
And I specifically asked the sales person to be sure the phone would work overseas including Australia.
Well the day before I left the provider sent email saying the phone won't work in Australia and suggested I change to another type.
I did not have time, and sure enough the phone does not work in Australia.

I read that Australia's version 4G is on a different frequency to the rest!

In India the data charge was US$20 per MB
I blew about $250 just on emails and all the background stuff the phone does.
Overseas the weather and maps must be turned off to reduce data.
The thing is useless as an internet browser, it can't even give a UI for my cloud provider.
I have to charge the thing almost every night.
The other irritation is the one touch dialing, if the phone pane is up it will silently redial as soon as you accidentally touch it.
So I have to use the password pane on top.
I can't get used to that stupid ring pull.

The map app looks like it is not properly done, it sometimes tell where you were rather than where you are now.

One day in Korea the thing went nuts and got extremely hot and ran the battery down in 30 minutes or so.
I was kind of hoping it was terminal.

By the way, the camera is useless
11-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Smartphones tend to have shorter battery-life, but the battery life of the OP is extremely short, even for smart-phones.

I love my HTC sensation. I use it a lot, bluetooth is always on as it connects automatically to my car. My wifi is always on as I use that at home and at work. And data is always on, because I use that in between. I use it more for facebook, twitter, ebay email and whatsapp, then I use it for actually calling people. And my battery lasts for two days!!

So, there is definitely something wrong with the OP's phone, or with that specific model maybe.
11-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I actually feel kind of privileged that I have no cell service where I live so I've never had to go through all these problems with smart phones, etc.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone needs to be "connected" all the time. I had to laugh once in a public restroom where someone was talking on the phone while sitting on the toilet.....I mean....come on......