Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh heh. It feels like I'm reading a thread populated mainly by the two old guys from the muppets.

(Submitted from my iPhone)

11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I actually feel kind of privileged that I have no cell service where I live...
No cell coverage?! Scary stuff...
11-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an i phone 5. Honestly, it bothers me that I have to pay for a data plan, when I live in an area where data coverage is lousy. I am on the edge network and it is so slow that it is all but worthless. Paying twenty bucks a month extra in order to use my cell phone is just silly. I had been using a "dumb" phone and then carrying an ipod touch for applications that I needed to use (I can jump on wi fi most places), but I just got tired of carrying two devices, so here I am with an i phone.

For the OP, you need to figure out what is up with your battery life. That is way less than you should have. You should have a minimum couple of days battery life with average usage.
11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Banned

I really wish my tiny smartphone would have as good battery life as my big laptop.

Oh, wait. Did I get the order wrong?

11-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
I really like my Galaxy Note. Fast, versatile, decent battery life (charge once a day, usually just charge overnight). I use it a LOT...

In fact, I just sent this from my Note!
The G Note is great. The only problem is that I now "need" to replace it with the Note 2!
11-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have a 3 or 4 year old (got used on ebay) LG Optimus with Virgin Mobile serivce.

For home use you should get a wireless router and connect phone that way. For other places get the
pay version of task killer pro. It really extends the battery life. I do not get cell service in my work (normal,
nobody does) and have to leave it plugged in. It uses A LOT of battery power looking for service.

I have the extended battery but doing the above helps.

My wife as the Virgin Mobile upgrade to the one I have and it is 10X faster on 3G. Sometimes I think it is just the phone.
11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now you guys, I'm not some anti technology old guy. I've embraced everything. Even with the positive and negatives of a smartphone, the battery life is one aspect that is hard to swallow. I've done everything to minimize battery drain, but after 12 hours on standby with no data on and my battery is nearly dead....well, this is unacceptable. Maybe this phone is crap. I'm going to give it a while longer before I head to Verizon and ask them to do something about it.

Larry

11-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Since getting the phone, have you run the battery from full charge all the way to depletion? You might need to do that a couple times - the battery/phone may be reporting/receiving an incorrect charge level and so needs to be reconditioned.
11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #24

How are you charging your phone? I was given a used HTC Evo with only the USB cord. I was getting horrible battery life! I couldn't even make it through the day without it dying. Now I'm charging via an ac adapter and the battery life has improved greatly. Avg about 14 hours with data enabled. My iphone wasn't much better either. I wouldn't expect fantastic battery life from a smart phone, so if that is important to you then ditch it and get something else.
11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
Forum Member

I don't understand people that don't like smart phones.
To have all of the world's knowledge in the palm of your hand is a miracle of science.

Smartphones give us the power to learn about any subject anytime we want. Who doesn't want that?

By the way, I have the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and it is awesome.
By battery generally lasts two days without charging and I am a heavy user.
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Banned

I use a Nokia N8. When I want to pack light, no cams, just me, some music, navigation (if I'm driving there), info, and that wonderful cam, I'm set. There's nothing more to it. I'll get an 808 when the prices drop.
11-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
Smartphones give us the power to learn about any subject anytime we want. Who doesn't want that?
Me - when you are "learning about any subject" and also driving a 3000lb vehicle straight at me.

Not a personal attack at all - just a generalization.
11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've been getting along fine with my Net 10 pay and go phone for about 3 years now. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of modern smart phones, but for $15 a month (yes, I'm that cheap) I get 150 talk minutes/300 texts that roll over every month and that is more than enough for me.

I don't really want a smartphone... just because the cheapest plans are $40-50 and the offer tons of things that I don't need.
I have a GPS and even if I didn't I don't have a problem asking for directions, I've got an iPod, I've got a small and decent P&S camera. I don't need my phone to have all these things.
The internet is something that I need to use on occasion on my phone, but I don't need some nice fancy phone dedicated to internet surfing for those few cases that I do need to look something up.

I look at it this way, the less money I spend on cellphone service, the more money I have to spend on new lenses.
This way, I get service and lenses. Win win situation.
11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I've been getting along fine with my Net 10 pay and go phone for about 3 years now. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of modern smart phones, but for $15 a month (yes, I'm that cheap) I get 150 talk minutes/300 texts that roll over every month and that is more than enough for me.

I don't really want a smartphone... just because the cheapest plans are $40-50 and the offer tons of things that I don't need.
I have a GPS and even if I didn't I don't have a problem asking for directions, I've got an iPod, I've got a small and decent P&S camera. I don't need my phone to have all these things.

I look at it this way, the less money I spend on cellphone service, the more money I have to spend on new lenses.
You don't need data service to have a smartphone, you know. When I came back to the US, I went to T-mobile, got a prepaid card, and was done with it. No data. Now I have ATT, which is killing me, because it's the ONLY provider in my region, and I'm getting hit for $120 a month.
11-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
You don't need data service to have a smartphone, you know. When I came back to the US, I went to T-mobile, got a prepaid card, and was done with it. No data. Now I have ATT, which is killing me, because it's the ONLY provider in my region, and I'm getting hit for $120 a month.
I know, but the thing is that I'm fine with what I have now and I doubt that I could find anything else that comes out to around $15 a month.
It's not like I have some prehistoric phone that I can't do anything on; I can call, text, use the internet. That's all I need.