You should give Windows Phone a go

12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #92
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Guakala Quote
You should give Windows Phone a go
If their phones are anything like their operating systems, no thanks!
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Dayum! That phone looks like it was made from the sole of someone's shoes!
Get Smart - Agent 86?
Attached Images

12-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #94

If their phones are anything like their operating systems, no thanks!
Let me guess, you figured out how to connect your abacus to the 'net!

12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #95
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Get Smart - Agent 86?
I'm Agent 69.

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
Let me guess, you figured out how to connect your abacus to the 'net!
You bet!

12-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #96
Veteran Member

That's OK, when you're all sick of them, RML will have one! *posing with cell phone.* Look, Ma, I'm kind of a yuppie, now!

Ah, for the good old days when there were rotary-pulse shoephones. Steampunk before its time. Or after. Exactly as planned.
12-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still like my Sanyo SCP-7050. Built like a tank. Probably been dropped over 100 times since I got it a few years ago. Rock solid. It can even handle one hour phone conversation without any problems. Great phone. I told the salesperson I need a rugged phone and they steered me in the right direction. Not even a camera on the little beast.

12-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I still like my Sanyo SCP-7050. Built like a tank. Probably been dropped over 100 times since I got it a few years ago. Rock solid. It can even handle one hour phone conversation without any problems. Great phone. I told the salesperson I need a rugged phone and they steered me in the right direction. Not even a camera on the little beast.
That's the phone for me! It's got proper buttons, no stupid touch screen crap that doesn't work when I'm up to my armpits in oil and grease, I'm not interested in the camera, the video and the f********* app's!
All I want is a phone, if I want to take pictures I use a camera, and what the hell is an 'app' anyway?
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hate to dredge up an old thread, but this makes me mad.

I live in a fairly rural area, but we have a nice shiny new cell tower within eyesight of my home as I've mentioned before. The only antenna mounted was a US Cellular. I have Verizon which finds some very weak signal from who knows where. Well, Verizon finally mounted an antenna on this tower and I've been waiting patiently for it to go online. According to the Verizon coverage map, it already has. 4G LTE!!. Problem. I have an Iphone 4 now which apparently does not connect to this new 4g antenna? Am I correct to assume that I cannot use this shiny new antenna? Nothing has changed for me. I still can barely make or receive calls and my data is painful to use.

4g LTE being a data only technology doesn't help me one bit. I guess talk/voice isn't important anymore. Unless someone could tell me that this isn't the way it will be, I may as well switch to US Cellular. It seems pointless to have a phone that I can't talk on.

Larry
03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #100
Veteran Member

The Verizon antenna will most probably support your iphone 4 by offerring older 3G and HSPA technologies as well, they'd be daft not to!
03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The Verizon antenna will most probably support your iphone 4 by offerring older 3G and HSPA technologies as well, they'd be daft not to!
That would make sense. Why would they spend the money to put up a 4g only antenna? I've learned not to totally trust coverage maps but in my area it shows wall to wall 4g now which was not there last month, but the basic voice and data map has not changed..
03-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #102
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I hate to dredge up an old thread, but this makes me mad.

I live in a fairly rural area, but we have a nice shiny new cell tower within eyesight of my home as I've mentioned before. The only antenna mounted was a US Cellular. I have Verizon which finds some very weak signal from who knows where. Well, Verizon finally mounted an antenna on this tower and I've been waiting patiently for it to go online. According to the Verizon coverage map, it already has. 4G LTE!!. Problem. I have an Iphone 4 now which apparently does not connect to this new 4g antenna? Am I correct to assume that I cannot use this shiny new antenna? Nothing has changed for me. I still can barely make or receive calls and my data is painful to use.

4g LTE being a data only technology doesn't help me one bit. I guess talk/voice isn't important anymore. Unless someone could tell me that this isn't the way it will be, I may as well switch to US Cellular. It seems pointless to have a phone that I can't talk on.

Larry
Shouldn't cell phone systems be backwards compatible?
03-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shouldn't cell phone systems be backwards compatible?
Not if the provider subscribes to the regiment of planned obsolescence.
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #104
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Not if the provider subscribes to the regiment of planned obsolescence.
That concept is just wrong. Remember when things could be serviced or repaired? Now just about everything is designed so that it cannot be repaired or serviced, and needs replaced in a year or so.

We are already having trouble disposing of our garbage. Now we are creating more garbage at a rate that doubles or even triples every day.
03-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #105
Banned

Photos: Albums
Verizon Wireless Coverage Map | Verizon Wireless

The state of West Virginia has far less than fifty percent of any mobile coverage of any sort. But then again, a very large majority also don't even have anything available outside of dial up internet.