Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hostess is still seeking to reward the executives who did so well by them. NEW YORK: Hostess to seek approval for executive bonuses - Business Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com No pensions for the workers despite their having done the work, but we can't slight the CEO on his hard-earned bonus.

11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Hostess is still seeking to reward the executives who did so well by them. NEW YORK: Hostess to seek approval for executive bonuses - Business Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com No pensions for the workers despite their having done the work, but we can't slight the CEO on his hard-earned bonus.
Can't say anything but sick isn't it...........what is even sicker is I bet they get it........
11-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hope the judge makes a common sense decision and denies the bonus request. Make the lives of the remaining executives as miserable as they have made the former employees. Most of these guys have more than enough already. Let them quit if they don't like it.
12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #139
Veteran Member

The bonus request was apparently granted, though the CEO declined his. He did not take a pay cut, though.

The latest news releases perhaps bring home why workers did not trust the company with further concessions. It was not just that the company did not make its pension contributions, it was stealing the money workers were having taken from their paychecks. Hostess workers’ pension contributions were redirected - KansasCity.com It really seems like someone should go to jail in these situations.

12-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #140
Veteran Member

The bonus request was apparently granted, though the CEO declined his. He did not take a pay cut, though.

The latest news releases perhaps bring home why workers did not trust the company with further concessions. It was not just that the company did not make its pension contributions, it was stealing the money workers were having taken from their paychecks. Hostess workers’ pension contributions were redirected - KansasCity.com It really seems like someone should go to jail in these situations.
Can't jail job destro.. err. creators.. apparently it has become un-American.. what ever that means anymore.........
12-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The unions sink another one. More than 18,000 will be out of work. I hope the Chinese can replicate Twinkies.
They don't have to actually. There are a number of companies out there who make very similar cakes. Little Debbies and Tasty Cake have cream filled crumpets and cakes, same thing pretty much and I know I've seen at least 3 smaller companies that are completely cloning the Twinkie. Hostess will die but not the products. Someone will buy them and start producing them under another label, you watch. I'm actually not a Twinkies fan. I like Little Debbie's Swiss Rolls (Which of course are just like the iconic Hoho...) and the butterscotch crumpets. Actually I think Little Debbie's Swiss rolls are better and they make them in a few flavors which I like. I'm sorry all those people are losing their jobs but I doubt it will affect my snack cake consumption much. There are too many other people out there making little snack cakes and I'm not "that" brand loyal when it comes to my food. It's just a little low end snack cake with creme inside. I like them but I actually like the stuff at my local bakery better and if I am going to splurge I'd actually rather have one of these:

http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/581006

These are just total heaven on a plate. Huge cupcakes in vanilla or chocolate filled with white creme and with two kinds of frosting with chocolate curls and discs on top. YUM. I can't do things like this often but I'll take this over a Hostess cupcake any day. Any of their dessert cakes pretty much. Dad brought me one of their version of pumpkin moon pies last week when I was sick and it was just awesome too. I was totally impressed. I love their pillow cookies too. Most of what they sell is way overpriced for me most of the time, but I could live in their bakery....

Last edited by magkelly; 12-11-2012 at 06:57 AM.
12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They don't have to actually. There are a number of companies out there who make very similar cakes. .....
And someone will buy the assets and make Twinkies as well. Perhaps they will do it with fewer employees, but without stealing.

12-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Well actually when you get down to it it's not stealing when it comes to baked goods. Hostess may own the the brand Twinkie but they don't own creme or gel filled cakes (or crumpets) which is basically what a Twinkie is. All those things they make they've been made for hundreds of years really under various different names.

A honey bun is just a sweet roll, a creme filled cupcake is a creme filled cupcake and Hohos they're just Christmas swiss rolls made smaller. Go to any good bakery and you'll see variants on a theme.
They usually taste even better too. I was raised on those cakes but I never could quite look at a Hostess cake the same way after I ate my first bakery crumpet, cupcake or real brownie. I mean there's just no comparison. The real deal is just so much better. I was addicted to Moon Pies, Krumpets, Hoho's and Little Debbie brownies as a kid but now I eat the real deal from the bakery. It's like night and day. There is just no comparison.

All people like Hostess, Tasty Cake, Little Debbie really did was size them up for kids, mass produce them, and make them so they had a greater shelf life. Twinkies will always be out there just not maybe under that name...

Last edited by magkelly; 12-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
12-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well actually when you get down to it it's not stealing when it comes to baked goods. ...
I'm not sure what you are saying here. The stealing was taking money from employees' checks to put in a pension fund and spending it for something else.
12-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #145
Veteran Member

And someone will buy the assets and make Twinkies as well. Perhaps they will do it with fewer employees, but without stealing.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to my comments about other makers basically making the same cakes sans the Twinkie name. Haven't been to bed yet. Obviously I'm a bit brain dead, lol...