Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Part of the problem is old Saddam was bluffing that he had some WMD capabilities. At the time, the U.S. intelligence gathering capability wasn't up to par of the cold war era and couldn't really evaluate the situation accurately. Saddam basically "zoomed" the Bush administration, but unfortunately for him and us, he did too good a job. While Saddam was serving at least 1 good purpose as a weakened bully, holding Iran in check. Of course he killed many Kurds etc. over the years. While I didn't agree with going into Iraq, he needed taken out at some point. I think once he was toppled, we should have made a swift exit. However, when our troops and sailors are sent somewhere, I support them.

11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whether a leader needs to be taken out should be the decision and responsibility of the people to whom he is a threat. In this case, it was only the Iraqi people.
There are leaders in the Middle East that are a genuine threat to us and have been causing damage to America on a daily basis for a long time, but we didn't take them out. Sadam is dead but we go on pretending the real threat is a friend.
11-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Whether a leader needs to be taken out should be the decision and responsibility of the people to whom he is a threat. In this case, it was only the Iraqi people.
There are leaders in the Middle East that are a genuine threat to us and have been causing damage to America on a daily basis for a long time, but we didn't take them out. Sadam is dead but we go on pretending the real threat is a friend.
I strongly agree with that. That was one of my top 10 reasons for not going into Iraq. I also agree that the Saudi should have been squeezed hard enough to make lemonade and coconut milk.
11-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #49
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Part of the problem is old Saddam was bluffing that he had some WMD capabilities.

Quite a few countries do that exact same type of bluffing. Even the former Soviet Union did it, as does america.

11-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #50
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There are leaders in the Middle East that are a genuine threat to us and have been causing damage to America on a daily basis for a long time, but we didn't take them out. Sadam is dead but we go on pretending the real threat is a friend
There are also many, many people throughout the world whom are more of a direct threat to america, but nothing is ever done about them. There are to many cases to sight in this one, but let me give two as an example… Soviet Union shoots down civilian airliner - deliberately. What happens? Nothing. Russia invades what is technically a nato country. What happens? Nothing. Because america picks and chooses the battles it thinks it can win - only later to scurry away in a type of calculate defeat. That's why both Iraq and Afganistan continually remind me of instances like Vietnam and Korea.

One also has to remember that; america has far more enemies than it does friends. The friends that america does have are also mostly ones that can be bought to become our friends. Most also forget - wasn't it Osama BinLaden that used to be our friend. After all america did directly train and finance him for decades - btw the financing was up to the day of 9/11
11-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
Inactive Account

Yep, look at N Korea. All the sabre rattling and treats dried up the day they detonated their first nuke - they actually DO have WMD, and who wants to pick a fight with a dog that has teeth. The US seems to me to be trying to take on the role Britain held a hundred years ago, but without being honest about their aspirations to empire, and without the genuine desire (misplaced and patronising or not) to improve the lot of the people subjugated.

I always feel compelled to add that I'm talking about the US as a nation state, and not the individuals who live there when I post things like this, and also to point out that my own country is complicit with most of the States' misadventures.
11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Quite a few countries do that exact same type of bluffing. Even the former Soviet Union did it, as does america.
The Soviets could back it up to a large degree, especially after 1966.
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Part of the problem is old Saddam was bluffing that he had some WMD capabilities. At the time, the U.S. intelligence gathering capability wasn't up to par of the cold war era and couldn't really evaluate the situation accurately. Saddam basically "zoomed" the Bush administration, but unfortunately for him and us, he did too good a job. While Saddam was serving at least 1 good purpose as a weakened bully, holding Iran in check. Of course he killed many Kurds etc. over the years. While I didn't agree with going into Iraq, he needed taken out at some point. I think once he was toppled, we should have made a swift exit. However, when our troops and sailors are sent somewhere, I support them.
Well since we "sold" him the chemical weapons.. and he "assumed" Bush was just sabre rattling for the US people.. and won't REALLY attack an old ally.. hey why not pretend a bit...

I really would have liked to hear what he said when the US did actually attack... Something like "with friends like that who needs enemies".................