Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
A kangaroo court in a 3rd world country. I bet Bush and the boys are really concerned with that. I know I would be........ NOT.
Yeah, third world countries don't know anything about justice. They should emulate the US model. Throw out the Geneva Convention, declare an illegal war, torture and detain prisoners against international and your own laws.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.
11-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yeah, third world countries don't know anything about justice. They should emulate the US model. Throw out the Geneval Convention, declare an illegal war, torture and detain prisoners against international and your own laws.
You missed the point entirely, but that was expected.
11-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

A kangaroo court in a 3rd world country. I bet Bush and the boys are really concerned with that. I know I would be........ NOT.
+1 except the Caymans aren't a third world country. I think that fact that they are British Overseas Territories lets Bush and Cheney sleep fine, though.

From Wikipedia, but I didn't check the footnotes:

With an average income of around KYD$47,000, Caymanians have the highest standard of living in the Caribbean. According to the CIA World Factbook, the Cayman Islands GDP per capita is the 14th highest in the world. The islands print their own currency, the Cayman Islands Dollar (KYD), which is pegged to the U.S. dollar at a fixed rate of 1 KYD = 1.25 USD.

The Cayman Islands are the fifth-largest banking centre in the world, with $1.5 trillion in banking liabilities.

The Cayman Islands have more registered businesses than people.

All that with a population of about 57,000.
11-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
...One has to wonder where the Bush allegiance is?
Some would say it is in war profiteering, although easily swept under the rug. From Wikipedia, but I ain't writing a paper so the references are fair game:

In the spring of 1918, banker Bernard Baruch was asked to reorganize the War Industries Board as the U.S. prepared to enter World War I, and placed several prominent businessmen to key posts. (Samuel P.) Bush became chief of the Ordnance, Small Arms, and Ammunition Section, with national responsibility for government assistance to and relations with munitions companies.

(Prescott) Bush was one of seven directors (including W. Averell Harriman) of the Union Banking Corporation, an investment bank that operated as a clearing house for many assets and enterprises held by German steel magnate Fritz Thyssen. In July 1942 the bank was suspected of holding gold on behalf of Nazi leaders. A subsequent government investigation disproved those allegations, but confirmed the Thyssens' control, and in October 1942 the United States seized the bank under the Trading with the Enemy Act and held the assets for the duration of World War II.

According to the journalist Joe Conason (Prescott) Bush's involvement with UBC was purely commercial and that he was not a Nazi sympathizer. The Anti-Defamation League and historian Herbert Parmet agreed with that assessment.

Last edited by lammie200; 11-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.
11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote

According to the journalist Joe Conason (Prescott) Bush's involvement with UBC was purely commercial and that he was not a Nazi sympathizer. The Anti-Defamation League and historian Herbert Parmet agreed with that assessment.
That statement alones peaks volumes to me...........at least on a moral level...
11-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
That statement alones peaks volumes to me...........at least on a moral level...
The Bushes are the flip side of the same coin with the Kennedy's. Joe Kennedy was assistant general manager of Bethlehem steel. Joe Sr was made first chairman of the SEC by FDR which is interested given his rumored involvement of the 1929 "bear raid" that crashed Wall Street. Now we have his great grand son on the rise along with another George P. Bush.
11-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Yep. It also looks like he was given the chance of a lifetime to cover his arse later:

On December 2, 1954, (Prescott) Bush was part of the large (67–22) majority to censure Wisconsin Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy, after McCarthy had taken on the U.S. Army and the Eisenhower administration. During the debate leading to the censure, Bush said that McCarthy has "caused dangerous divisions among the American people because of his attitude and the attitude he has encouraged among his followers: that there can be no honest differences of opinion with him. Either you must follow Senator McCarthy blindly, not daring to express any doubts or disagreements about any of his actions, or, in his eyes, you must be a Communist, a Communist sympathizer, or a fool who has been duped by the Communist line." Eisenhower later included Bush's name on an undated handwritten list of prospective candidates he favored for the 1960 GOP presidential nomination.

Last edited by lammie200; 11-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.
11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Bushes are the flip side of the same coin with the Kennedy's. Joe Kennedy was assistant general manager of Bethlehem steel. Joe Sr was made first chairman of the SEC by FDR which is interested given his rumored involvement of the 1929 "bear raid" that crashed Wall Street. Now we have his great grand son on the rise along with another George P. Bush.
Perhaps they are comparable in terms of their wealth and influence, but I would be cautious to go much further. Can you imagine GWB as president during the Cuban Missile Crisis? Also, JFK had an exit strategy for what he started in Viet Nam during the COLD WAR! It didn't happen because his brain exploded before he could get to it. GWB's exit strategy for his entire presidency was to hand over his "accomplishments" to his successor. Accomplishments that begun in a time of relative peace.
11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

You missed the point entirely, but that was expected.
Was the point that you mis-labelled Malaysia as a Third-World country?
11-22-2012, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Inactive Account

Quite a few European countries would love a visit from GWB, though it would be the last trip he took, short of courtroom to gaol.

"It was, however, a third piece of news that particularly brightened up my last few days in Poland, when I was able to tell audiences that George W. Bush had just cancelled a proposed trip to Switzerland on February 12, because two former victims of his torture program — the al-Jazeera cameraman Sami El-Hajj (who was released from Guantánamo in May 2008) and Majid Khan, a “high-value detainee” who was moved to Guantánamo in September 2006, after years in secret CIA prisons — had filed criminal complaints against Bush for his involvement in their torture, prepared by the Center for Constitutional Rights and the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights, with support from the International Federation for Human Rights" (http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2011/02/15/george-w-bush-war-criminal-is-no...ome-in-europe/)

. Tony Blair should stand next to him of course. It embarrasses a lot of us over here how our leaders fawn and simper over US presidents who blatantly don't give two craps about us; unless they want us to send our boys to die in their conflicts to add a bit of legitimacy to them. I for one think the 'special relationship' is incredibly one-sided and should be dropped in favour of our more immediate neighbours.

Last edited by wildweasel; 11-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
11-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Was the point that you mis-labelled Malaysia as a Third-World country?

Let me spell it out for you so you'll leave me alone. Bush didn't care what 1st world countries thought of him. Why would he be concerned about one like Malaysia?
11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Quite a few European countries would love a visit from GWB, though it would be the last trip he took, short of courtroom to gaol.

. . .
While I don't much like Dubya, this would be a very dumb mistake. In fact, its this attitude that I am all for the U.S.A. pulling its funding from the UN and use it to pay down the deficit.
11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Let me spell it out for you so you'll leave me alone. Bush didn't care what 1st world countries thought of him. Why would he be concerned about one like Malaysia?
Americans not caring about the rest of the world is not unusual. I don't understand though why you aren't livid that he tricked your country into a war in Iraq that cost the lives of thousands of American soldiers.
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Americans not caring about the rest of the world is not unusual. I don't understand though why you aren't livid that he tricked your country into a war in Iraq that cost the lives of thousands of American soldiers.
There have been quit a few American military personnel and Coalition personnel killed and injured in Afghanistan. It has dramatically increased during the Obama administration.

11-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The war in Afghanistan I understand, but don't agree with. Afghanistan is the Al Qaeda base. The war in Iraq, I simply don't understand, other than as a personal agenda; Bush to finish what Daddy started and Cheney to further the interests of his oil buddies.