Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible shots. The one of the IED explsion is mind numbing in its sheer size and devastation. Stay safe.

11-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Interesting as always. What I always enjoy is the theme or style that runs through your updates, where you have both sides of life there, so to speak; cute pix of giving toys to kids, alongside others of soldiers engaged in very serious stuff. Like the IED story this time. You illustrate clearly, without really having to point to it, the contrasts in your surroundings & your work. Glimpses into another world.
And Pentax should hire you as a spokesman... "look what conditions I used their gear in..."
Take care; be safe...
And good luck with the new camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Also, one of the other reasons to go with the K-5IIs was I knew it would force myself to be a better photographer -... Yes that is making things harder for myself, but then that's why I do training runs and PT sessions in a gas mask
Yeah, that's dedication...
11-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photos are excellent, but so is your accompanying description, An remarkable documentation.
11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Howdy all

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Oh wow, what a great bunch of shots. The last one, through the glass, is probably the best of the bunch... if not the best you've posted. Maybe it's just me, but that shot in the context of where you are and what you're doing is "it" for me... hard to explain or describe.
Enjoy the K-5IIs (and if you can't see moiré, no one else will either)! Here's hoping there's a "serviceman's discount" at CRIS for your lens, and don't go knocking over the Polish guys!
Pano, thanks for your kind words, as always. You know I have another person say the same exact thing. I didn't initially feel as strongly as you do about it, but I am definitely warming up to it, especially after considering what you said about the "context of where you are." I stared at it for a whle today and thought about it - a beautiful sunrise and reeds waking up to that sun's warmth, however the element of war that has forsaken this area for so long... Is that what in the ballpark of where you are going with it? And I contact CRIS about a military discount, but they haven't responded back to me yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I hope you get your replacement camera soon - I remember your fantastic offer to lend me the k-7 and I'm glad I didn't need it since you are out of a camera right now. I wouldn't hose the k-5, you would want to use distilled water to dissolve the salt until it's completely gone, and then use something like ethanol to displace remaining water and evaporate.
Hey Jin, always a pleasure to see you stop by I'm just glad you were able to resurrect it - I still have the K-30, after all! But don't worry, I have a plan for the K-7 come January-ish And regarding the "hosing it down," I guess I was a bit aggressive in my word choice, but I didn't mean literally use a hose And I totally forgot about using distilled water - I've been out of chemistry class for a while, so thanks! And regarding the evaporation, I will probably put it near a heater to slowly evaporate without any residue the alcohol might leave behind. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Wow - once again, great story & photos. Congrats on the K5IIs - I'm sure you'll put it thru its paces! Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks again for your service!
Paul, thank you very much for the kind words. I still plan on doing the Winter Part 2 to the weather sealing test (c'mon Afghanistan...snow already!), and I guess the K-5IIs will have to fill in for the K-5. Wish it luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Thanks for the update. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you very much, and a Happy Turkey Day to you as well

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great stuff, again! I like the story line of IED series. How many of those people might have been victims? Enjoy Thanksgiving and stay safe!
PJ, thanks! I really enjoyed putting this update together because of the vivacity and explosiveness (hehe pun!) of its content. Exactly - it was on a main road, which frustrates all of us - "C'mon, you telling me that NO ONE was aware of it being there?!" My personal frustration is the subpar self-policing by Afghans. It happens, but not as much as it should, or at least as much I think it should. I understand many are afraid to report anything because of the fear of reprisal, but still. In their shoes I would go out of my way to try to report whatever I knew, completely aware of the risks (which are deadly). It is very frustrating...

QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
Awesome pictures! Be safe and keep up the good work.
Doanh, thank you! I appreciate your compliments

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, glad you had a great time in NZ, and yes a very long series of flights back to Afghanistan. Another great series for the book you will assemble when the dust settles and you clear the combat zone. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for your service. Keep your head down and be safe. Looking forward to the NZ pics....Cliff
Cliff, as always, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. NZ was AWESOME! It will be a while because I can post the images though - I have too much on my plate right now. And I really want to do it, I just don't know how. I really am at a loss for how to go about organizing such a compilation since photography is such integral to it. And the head is always down. It's just those ears...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Cool shots. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Finn!

QuoteOriginally posted by Leopardwizard Quote
Fantastic work as always. I can't help but notice that, as good as you were when you started, you are still always improving even beyond that. You should consider assembling these into a well-printed book, when you finally return for good!
Thank you for your service. Be safe and be well.
Leopard, thank you for the warm regards. I am humbled by your assessment that I have improved dramatically. I feel like I have, but to have others confirm that notion is very gratifying, and I thank you for that. Like I said to Cliff, I would really like to - I'm just stumped as to how lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Your photos are amazing! They remind me of the kinds of photos you can see in Boston's Big Picture or The Atlantic In Focus. Please, no matter where you end up next, keep taking photos!
Also, I enjoyed your weatherproof video demonstrations. I'll be sharing those to my buddies.
Earl, thank you! Huge compliment! And I promise I won't stop taking images - my wallet would be pissed at me if I did consider how much I've invested in this fool's hobby

And glad you enjoyed the video! I have another one planned for winter tests, but I need snow, and Afghanistan is not cooperating with me in that regard (at least where I am) lol And share away

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
As always, your photos are great and tell many stories. Keep up the good work, and even if you're off patrol, keep you head down.
Tom, thank you very much for your consistent support. Much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by cocksy_boy Quote
Heie,
I had to join the forums just to say what a joy it is to read your posts and look at your fantastic pictures! I have not been to Afghanistan (although a lot of friends and my brother have), but I really think you've managed to capture a side of the country and people that is often missed - I hope your entries to the NG competitions do well.
Stay safe and hope you had as-good-a thanksgiving as possible.
Cocksy, like I commented in your introduction post, I am floored by your being compelled to create an account solely because of my photography. Thank you very, very much for the incredible compliments - much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Terrific photography....really professional. Take care there and keep it coming.
Steve, thank you very much. I take much pride in my work (as I'm sure you guessed), so to have it critiqued as 'professional' is a huge compliment for which I a grateful. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Just like the other updates, those are some great photos you posted. I love how your photos humanize a region which only receives negative and gloomy press on this side of the big pond.
Pat
ve2vfd, thank you. That has been my intent since the start, so I thank you for validating that effort.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Incredible shots. The one of the IED explsion is mind numbing in its sheer size and devastation. Stay safe.
Ted, yea it caught me off-guard by its size, hence the being at 60mm and not further away and at 200+mm lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Interesting as always. What I always enjoy is the theme or style that runs through your updates, where you have both sides of life there, so to speak; cute pix of giving toys to kids, alongside others of soldiers engaged in very serious stuff. Like the IED story this time. You illustrate clearly, without really having to point to it, the contrasts in your surroundings & your work. Glimpses into another world.
And Pentax should hire you as a spokesman... "look what conditions I used their gear in..."
Take care; be safe...
And good luck with the new camera.

Yeah, that's dedication...
Allie, thanks for stopping by - I always enjoy your comments as they usually lead to some sort of mini discussion which is always thought provoking. I really appreciate the depth to which you have analyzed this project, and I agree with you entrely.

And Pentax is starting to take notice. Where do you think I got the K-30 from? (More details on that in a forthcoming post)

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The photos are excellent, but so is your accompanying description, An remarkable documentation.
Arnold, thank you very much. I am glad you have taken so well to this project.

Seriously, thank you everyone for the comments and feedback you have provided - I do this for the PF community and I thank you for continuing to fuel the motivation and passion to do so.

Also, a quick update as to my status - I finally arrived into Afghanistan late last night, and as such, am now back at work. Yay! ()

New Zealand was amazing, but I will save details for what I thought of the place for my picture posts (whenever I get around to posting them...don't hold your breath lol). Thanksgiving for me was a solo meal in Kuwait. I hope those of you that did take part in the festivities had a great reunion with family.

Lastly, here is what two weeks in the New Zealand wilderness will do to a man. I give you, Alex Grylls...

Attachment 148838

If he looks a bit mad (as one friend commented on my facebook lol), the reason is clearly because "the man made him shave." And when I saw the following reflection in the mirror, I knew R&R was officially over:

Name:  IMGP0748.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  385.4 KB

At least he cleans up well, no?

Both were taken with a K-30 / Sigma 30 f/1.4. Also, incase anyone doesn't know - the Sigma 30 f/1.4 is the PERFECT lens (focal length, shallow DOF) for self headshot portraits at arm's length should you be in need of such a lens

Thanks again everyone. Like I said above - your kind regards are very valuable to me and I cherish all of them.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 11-25-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo
11-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much for posting this set of photos — especially the boy with the harmonica and the photo of the IED blast. I'm very glad no one was injured.
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new camera, and I'm glad Pentax offered you a deal on it.
All best wishes to you and your comrades, and thanks again to all of you for your service.
12-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #21

Heie,

I first stumbled upon update 12, and, after going through the your previous 11 threads, and trying to catch each post since, I have become hooked. Whether it be the joy on the face of the children when they receive the gifts or the seriousness on the face of your brothers, the imagines that you have shared have consistently taken my breath away. Thanks for sharing. And, even though it's belated, be safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

J
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Heie,

Similar sentiments to above post. I just recently stumbled across your posts and read all of them. You put a very human face on the war. I would agree with others who have commented that you have great material for a book with all of these and the context you can put around them. Keep up the great work, thanks for your sacrifice and stay safe.

Paul G

12-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reading about your photos is always interesting and I always learn something new about what's going on out there every post you do of these. I bet those soldiers love their new FB photos! Great shots. Will be waiting as usual in your next set of readings in the next few months. Your likes are catching up to your posts

Last edited by LeDave; 12-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Once again, thank you for providing these wonderful images. They bring the seriousness of things closer than any media images can do.
12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting and compelling, Heie. Please forgive me if you've answered this before and I haven't noticed...do your camera and lenses ever get in the way? It appears that your camera gear consists at least of the K5IIs, the DA*16-50 and DA*60-250. How do you carry all your camera gear in addition to your military gear?
Stay safe...and thanks for your military service.
Daryl
12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Thanks very much for posting this set of photos — especially the boy with the harmonica and the photo of the IED blast. I'm very glad no one was injured.
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new camera, and I'm glad Pentax offered you a deal on it.
All best wishes to you and your comrades, and thanks again to all of you for your service.
Stu, Thanks for stopping by. I am grateful no one was injured either, however I am sure the homeowners that had the flying pieces of asphault damage some of their property aren't very happy lol. Better than a military vehicle, or worse, an Afghan civilian family, absorbing that blast instead. Pentax has been extremely kind to me, but I still eagerly await the replacement gear. It might have to wait a while since I told them that I wanted to postpone my order since I didn't want to miss the shipment and leave the package behind since we are close to our way out. Thanks again, and always a pleasure to hear from you.

QuoteOriginally posted by jlimanek Quote
Heie,
I first stumbled upon update 12, and, after going through the your previous 11 threads, and trying to catch each post since, I have become hooked. Whether it be the joy on the face of the children when they receive the gifts or the seriousness on the face of your brothers, the imagines that you have shared have consistently taken my breath away. Thanks for sharing. And, even though it's belated, be safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
J
J, thanks for your enthusiasm in trying to catch my photo series, I really appreciate it. I will return the favor with a belated Merry Christmas

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul G Quote
Heie,
Similar sentiments to above post. I just recently stumbled across your posts and read all of them. You put a very human face on the war. I would agree with others who have commented that you have great material for a book with all of these and the context you can put around them. Keep up the great work, thanks for your sacrifice and stay safe.
Paul G
Paul, thank you very much. You are now the 10th or so to recommend writing a book, which just adds gravity to the sense of urgency that I should probably listen to you guys Thank you very much - I greatly appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Reading about your photos is always interesting and I always learn something new about what's going on out there every post you do of these. I bet those soldiers love their new FB photos! Great shots. Will be waiting as usual in your next set of readings in the next few months. Your likes are catching up to your posts
Dave, always a pleasure to see you stop by and comment I'm FB friends with a few of them (I'm not their platoon leader anymore, so it's ok! lol), and those were some of their most popular and commented on pictures - I was pleased . And yes, they are lol

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Once again, thank you for providing these wonderful images. They bring the seriousness of things closer than any media images can do.
mtansley, thank you for your compliments. It has been my goal to do just that, and I am grateful to be in the position to do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Very interesting and compelling, Heie. Please forgive me if you've answered this before and I haven't noticed...do your camera and lenses ever get in the way? It appears that your camera gear consists at least of the K5IIs, the DA*16-50 and DA*60-250. How do you carry all your camera gear in addition to your military gear?
Stay safe...and thanks for your military service.
Daryl
Daryl, thanks for taking a look Regarding your question, have you been to Update *Fourteen*? The reason I ask is because there are two images (#16 and #17) there that show how I carry the cameras when on patrol. The latest update, number 16, also has an image while traveling in a vehicle. And yes, they very much do get in the way lol. Thankfully, the few times I have been shot at were while I was not with my camera gear, however it is always in the front of my mind of how I need to react (seek cover and return fire), which of course would take priority over my camera gear.

Again, thank you to everyone that stopped by and commented and even provided "likes" - your continued support during this project has been invaluable.

Also, Update Number *Sixteen* has now been posted!

-Heie
12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heie...I had not visited that earlier post until now. My question is answered - thanks.

What a land of contrasts...from a school filled with grateful staff and students (one student touchingly moved to tears at the generosity displayed by you and your brother soldiers) on the one hand, contrasted against people who plant IEDs trying to kill you on the other hand. I hope and pray for peace in that land and for your safety. You're doing good work.
Thanks again,
Daryl
01-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #28
Inactive Account

These photos are fantastic! I am new to this site, and feel fortunate to stumble upon this gem of "insider" photography (better than a piece of photojournalism because of the personal story you are able to tell over time).
01-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Future threads in this amazing series will be found in the Post Your Photos forum.

Update is is HERE

Mike
PF Moderation Team

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.