Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ScAmazon

So, I have been interested in getting a Panasonic ZS15 as a carry around point and shoot. The price has been $179 on Amazon. I noticed this week they were showing ads for Black Friday deals, and noted select Panasonic Point and Shoots would be up to $50 off. Today, their Black Friday ad says you can now shop today for those prices.

When you click on the Panasonic point and shoot page, it lists the ZS15 at $162, which is only $17 below the price they've regularly had sold it for, but have it under the headline "Save $30".

So, $50 suddenly drops to $30, but in reality, you get a whopping $17 off. Nice one Amazon.

Panasonic Point and Shoot deals on Amazon

Top top that off, when you go the ZS15 page it reads "Save $50 Instantly: Purchase this product from Amazon.com and save $50 instantly. Current Amazon.com price includes manufacturer's instant savings. No additional discount will be applied. Offer valid through November 24, 2012 or while supplies last."

Where's the $50 off Amazon!?! $17 isn't $50!

11-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

They're telling you how much it is off list price, not their usual price, which is typically lower than list.
It's just marketing I guess, it's not completely clear that they're only discounting a small amount off *their* usual price, but not sure that makes them scammers.
11-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by autumnbringer Quote
They're telling you how much it is off list price, not their usual price, which is typically lower than list.
It's just marketing I guess, it's not completely clear that they're only discounting a small amount off *their* usual price, but not sure that makes them scammers.
Saying you're getting $50 off (manufacturer's retail price) when it's listed on their website is completely misleading. Especially when the end result is $17 off their own price. If you weren't a keen buyer and saw the original price earlier like I did, you'd be duped into thinking Amazon just lowered their price by $50.
11-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #4

Next you will want them to pay you take away the camera

The $50 discount is off the list price. As Amazon has been selling below the list price, you cannot really expect them to slim their margin to a loss. The extra 10 % is better than a kick in the backside. Mind you, specifications are going up and prices down, so delaying will get you a better camera or deal, but then again, the little Lumix is a great backup camera. I love my little TZ 20 for general purpose shooting. The IQ is superb. On specialized stuff like macro, it is no match for a DSLR with the 100 f/2.8.

11-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fisheye freak Quote
The $50 discount is off the list price. As Amazon has been selling below the list price, you cannot really expect them to slim their margin to a loss. The extra 10 % is better than a kick in the backside. Mind you, specifications are going up and prices down, so delaying will get you a better camera or deal, but then again, the little Lumix is a great backup camera. I love my little TZ 20 for general purpose shooting. The IQ is superb. On specialized stuff like macro, it is no match for a DSLR with the 100 f/2.8.
I'm sorry, but it just sounds like whining to me. Maybe Amazon is a little dubious in their advertisement, but the real question is if 162 dollars is a reasonable amount for the Panasonic. I think it probably is. If there is someone else selling the camera for less, it is an easy web search to find out and then buy from them.

What's the big deal?
11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Making something appear to be $50 off your price, but it ultimately only $17 off is very misleading. $162 is not a great price for it either, as you can get it lower on ebay. $129, which was what they were making it sound like it was going to be, would have been a good price. It's a tactic they used to get someone back to their site on Black Friday, and I don't agree with it at all.

It's one thing if Amazon always had banners saying "we always sell at $33 below off manufacturer's retail price" and then for their Black Friday sale they now said "prices will be $50 off manufacturer's retail price" it would be one thing. But when they NEVER advertise how much they drop everything from retail value, but then to have a sale with prices based on how much you are taking off retail value, is just plain wrong. I compare it to the stores that go out of business and mark things up to full retail before saying 30% off everything in the store. You're actually only getting 3% if you factor in their prices were probably already 27% lower before the going out of business sale. It's a poor sales tactic that I feel is deceptive.

QuoteOriginally posted by fisheye freak Quote
I'm either going with the ZS-15 or the Pentax X-5, but haven't decided yet. If Amazon had truly knocked $50 off their price on the Panasonic, it would be on its way to me now. But, due to their deceptive price break on it, I may end up with the Pentax instead.
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
But, due to their deceptive price break on it
Sorry, it's you. Marketing always knocks something off the list, not their normal sales price. And, it's not just Amazon.
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sorry, it's you. Marketing always knocks something off the list, not their normal sales price. And, it's not just Amazon.
When you say $50 off, it is reasonable to infer it's off their own Amazon price and not Panasonic's.

I hate Wal Mart, but when they say something is $50 off, it's $50 lower than what they previously had it selling for, not $50 off the retail list or manufacturer's suggested retail. I hate them but even they don't stoop that low.

Amazon's Cyber Monday sale on the same camera reads "$50 off" with no blurb after it indicating it's off the list price. It's now down $3 more from $162 to $159. So, after two sales advertising it at $50 off, it's only gone from $179 to $159.

11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's definitely not just me:

Thread link

Some are saying prices went up for Cyber Monday.

They're right because the ZS-15 is now back up to $179 from the previously advertised $159!!! Wow!