Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Behind all the Left-Right BS there is still a real America

A personal anecdote.

A week ago yesterday I was working on my big project to clean up some debris from a tree in my front yard. I came in from the work and had some coffee. I started to get what I thought was acid reflux. The pain was extreme and constant. After about 4 hours of this we decided to go up to Mayo Clinic to find out what was going on.

The tentative diagnosis was a heart attack but they kept on doing all kinds of exams until they were sure of what was going on. Anyway it turned out to be a Gallbladder attack and they recommended immediate removal which was done. One of the nurses from my little town of 1500 was working on the ward I was on and word quickly got back to my neighbors of what had happened.

When I got back home on Tuesday I found my front yard all neat and clean with all the wood cut up and split and neatly stacked on my back deck for the winter. It was Ken's 17 year old boy who had done it. Ken is a electrician and my neighbor. He has a flag pole in his yard with the American flag on top and below that the ensign of the US Marine corp. On the back of his truck is a bumper sticker that says:

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion,
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us.
Tea Party

You get the idea. Ideologically we are worlds apart. We have always been cool but civil with one another and certainly never hostile. One time his dog got out of the house and wandered out on the highway while everyone was gone. I led it back to my house and kept him with us until they got back.

Yesterday I ask his kid about all this. He said that his Dad after hearing about my hospitalization looked across the street at my place and more or less said to him: "Don was a serving officer in the US Army. We served together in Nam. I owe him. Get your butt out there and clean up that mess in his yard before he gets back" or words to that effect. He even called the school and got his son excused for the day because of a "family emergency".

I don't know exactly where I'm going with all this. But perhaps, hopefully, the ties that ultimately bind human societies go beyond dogma, class, economics and that at the end of the day what really matters is the simple direct face to face human qualities of compassion and empathy and yes - loyalty.

One can only hope.

Semper Fi

Last edited by wildman; 11-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.
11-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful to see this, and it is how the world should be, individuals relating to individuals. A fine example of how people volunteer to help on their own initiative. Hope you are recovered from your operation.
11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Right on.

P.S. Although I still have mine, I have heard that as far as organs go, gall bladders are over-rated.
11-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good story. We indeed can believe in all sorts of things and yet still have a sense of community and give a hand in a time of trouble. Thanks for sharing the story, and all the best for your post-op recovery.

11-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Speedy recover Wild!
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Speedy recover Wild!
I'll sign on to that!
11-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks.
I am well on my way to full recovery so far.
I just wish I felt good enough to get down to the river bottom lands. The Tundra Swans have come down from the Arctic.

Last edited by wildman; 12-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and glad that you have good neighbors that help one another.

Regarding your gall bladder -- been there done that. I was working (as a civilian) for the Army in Heidelberg, Germany in the mid-80's when I had what I thought was a heart attack. By the time my wife got me to the Army hospital, my symptoms began to go away. They kept me for a couple of hours and then sent me home, thinking it was a bad case of indigestion. I had other attack before it was diagnosed as gall bladder. I could feel the pain coming on, and it only lasted 10-15 minutes and then stopped completely. I was due to rotate back stateside and the doctor wanted to operate. I told him nope, I would take care of it at home, and I did, after I had the 3rd attack. My suregery was the type where they did the regular opening you up - don't think they do that anymore. My recovery was 6 weeks before being given permission to return to work. No repercussions at all except for a 8 inch scar.