Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
`Europe is Beautiful` Contest

Good day,

First of all I want to clear something up from the start: This thread doesn' t bring me any advantages, prizes, payments or what not. It is created for you (those that want) to get some recognition and why not, a prize (cause there are some prizes) .

So, the contest is called `Europe is beautiful` and basically you have to show that from your pictures. You will get votes, and the best voted pictures will win prizes (I haven' t read it thorough enough to tell if there will be 1prize/ category, or 3prizes/ category, or even better 3prizes/ whole categories) , but everything is explained better on their site.
I am not here to promote the `prize` part, as much as I want to promote the `photography` part (I like good photos, and I saw many good ones here, would like to see them all together) .

The site is this one: Europe is beautiful (hope it works) . You can first check it for viruses with whatever virus scanner you want to be sure it ain' t a malware.

I not know if you have to live in Europe to promote its beauty, but I think it' s all on their `rules` section.

But I have only One rule for this thread: Seeing that it is a voting type competition and you, or me being able to vote other people' s photos, don' t promote your photos here in exchange for votes. It' s a competition, let' s keep it this way. If there will be any sort of of nonsense as I' ve presented it, I will personally ask for the thread deletion.

Good luck and hope a Pentax will bring you lots of votes!

11-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Good luck and hope a Pentax will bring you lots of votes!
As usual, these competitions have a sting especially if run by a corporation obviously in search of free promotional material for its printshops, fotobook and other mass-printing services. This is no deal as far as I'm concerned and the way in which CEWE allots itself rights goes beyond merely using them for the purpose of this competion.

I would always advise anyone to read T's & C's before you enter any competion. Here they state:
QuoteQuote:
With the participation the participant authorize CEWE and all other involved companies an irreversible ordinary and unlimited usage right in order to use the uploaded photos for PR purposes. This includes the publishment, the reproduction and the illustration for the purpose of self-promotion and self-expression of CEWE. This is only relating in correlation of the contest and the following communication, which the participant has agreed.

This agreement includes the usage of the uploaded photos for:

a. the presentation in exhibitions,
b. the publication on the internet and social networks,
c. the right to use in other publications as well as the publication by third parties in press reports
d. the presentation of the corporate portfolio of CEWE
11-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
As usual, these competitions have a sting especially if run by a corporation obviously in search of free promotional material for its printshops, fotobook and other mass-printing services. This is no deal as far as I'm concerned and the way in which CEWE allots itself rights goes beyond merely using them for the purpose of this competion.

I would always advise anyone to read T's & C's before you enter any competion. Here they state:

Good day,

That part I' ve read as well and didn' t like it, but seeing that most of the pictures are amateur level, I think it' s a confidence boost if this will happen, thus even promoting the amateur photos, cause the real pro' s won' t accept such a thing. It' s a two way deal. It ain' t nice, but it has it' s perks.
That is why I suggested for everybody to read the `fineprint` . I am not responsible in any way for the contest, just thought it was an interesting one. Plus, you see many beginner level photos there.
Bottom line, we' re all adults or on our way, so we can decide if we want to participate in such a competition. No?

Thank you for the reply!
11-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
That part I' ve read as well and didn' t like it, but seeing that most of the pictures are amateur level, I think it' s a confidence boost if this will happen, thus even promoting the amateur photos, cause the real pro' s won' t accept such a thing. It' s a two way deal. It ain' t nice, but it has it' s perks.
I see where you're going but I disagree - it is not just amateur level we're talking about. CEWE distributes its services through supermarkets, online portals and what have you - it has built up a reputation throughout the years as a distinctively mediocre(and I'm being positive here) service and quality provider of snapshot printing needs.

I consider myself a pure amateur but I wouldn't want my images anywhere near being used by CEWE. It would not be a boost at all. They are a mass-market producer in search of a productivity and popularity boost. I tend to look at the motivation behind a contest as well - is there a real interest for photography that drives it. That's not to say there shouldn't also be a commercial side to a contest as well of course. Mass contests like these which are decided by popular vote, are seldom a good place to show off your work.

Sorry for being so negative

11-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I see where you're going but I disagree - it is not just amateur level we're talking about. CEWE distributes its services through supermarkets, online portals and what have you - it has built up a reputation throughout the years as a distinctively mediocre(and I'm being positive here) service and quality provider of snapshot printing needs.

I consider myself a pure amateur but I wouldn't want my images anywhere near being used by CEWE. It would not be a boost at all. They are a mass-market producer in search of a productivity and popularity boost. I tend to look at the motivation behind a contest as well - is there a real interest for photography that drives it. That's not to say there shouldn't also be a commercial side to a contest as well of course. Mass contests like these which are decided by popular vote, are seldom a good place to show off your work.

Sorry for being so negative

Good day,

Perfectly normal reaction. It is yours, but take into consideration that maybe some won' t care.
Maybe they (the pictures) are just snapshots, vacation memories, or just the result of a hobby. Why not win something from it? (this ain' t said to boost the competition subscribing' s) .
Ok, so it' s a medicore company at best (as you put it) , let the people decide.
Ok, you said `No` to the idea, you presented the ideas and maybe some will be influenced by it as well (nothing wrong in that, we might sometimes need a `push` in taking decisions) .

Thank you for your replies, and all the best!