Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
photography leisure classes

Last Christmas my girl bought me 8 hours of photography leisure classes. Sounds pretty cool since ive never been to a photo class before. Only thing is....the class is for beginners....so hopefully i can still learn something. I can see him holding a camera up and saying "this is the lens". Hopefully it will be somewhat interesting.

02-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ronald, y'never know until you go! I suggest you introduce yourself to the instructor at the beginning of the first meeting with a little bit about your photographic background and experience, and maybe she/he will take that into account and adjust a bit for your non-beginner interests.
02-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Is it a black and white film class and do you have previous darkroom experience? You can really learn a lot from a darkroom class if you don't have that background. You probably will have to sit though lectures about basic camera operation and reciprocity but a greater knowledge of the photography process is always useful, even if it's arguably outdated.
02-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
yeah

Sucks though cuz I was looking forward to going. But tonights class got cancelled cuz the instructor was sick. kinda sad.

02-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ronald, you might want to look into other opportunties for photo classes in your area. In my area, both community colleges within reasonable driving distance of my house offer non-credit photography classes through their community education programs. I took 2 6-week classes last fall and although I already knew a little bit on the technical end of things, they were a great help in developing my confidence behind the lens--we had weekly assignments and the feedback with those was very helpful. Before the class, I mainly shot in auto or scene modes, but afterwards, I understood enough about manual control that that's what I mainly use now when shooting.

I have to say that those classes were the the catalyst I needed to take a dive into the DSLR world.

Heather