Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Powerball

So what would you do if you won half a billion dollars US?

Me? I'd take care of the family first. Should take about 40 million for that and to set up my son. He'd still have to work. It's the only way to learn responsibility, what hard work is, to build character and what earning a living truly means.

The rest? Anonymous trusts for various charities.

Yeah, I know you guys think I am a heartless conservative. But that's a of money and could help a ton of people. Just wouldn't want anyone to ever know where it came from.

11-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

Me? I'd take care of the family first. Should take about 40 million for that and to set up my son. He'd still have to work. It's the only way to learn responsibility, what hard work is, to build character and what earning a living truly means.

The rest? Anonymous trusts for various charities.

Yeah, I know you guys think I am a heartless conservative. But that's a of money and could help a ton of people. Just wouldn't want anyone to ever know where it came from.
I never thought you were a heartless conservative.. just you had an obsessive dislike of unions....

As to what I would do w/ that kind of money???

Only thing that comes to mind is buying a lake (sadly probably in Canada, one of the warmer parts) .............
I doubt if that would be possible though....
11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Uhmmmmm Nissan GT-R!
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Retire!
I'm 62 and probably will probably semi retire soon anyhow but winning the lottery, I could retire in style. I'd donate a lot of it. It's far more than I or my kids would ever need.

11-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd do the exact same thing as Graphicgr8s would do...the very same thing in same order.

Jason
11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
One could technically purchase one half of a current naval submarine - but without the reactor. Each and every current model of american nuclear submarines goes for almost one billion.

Or one could easily purchase several thousand acres in a place such as Alaska, or Northern Canada. BUt the ands going quick even in those parts, people such as Ted Turner are presently one of the largest land owners in the world
11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Buy Pentax and set up a few endowed scholarships.

11-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I've never seen a Rolling Stones show. Had tickets for Miami back in 1989 but the car broke down on I95 and missed the show . I think they'd be booked for my next birthday party.
After that .... What G8 said.
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
endowed scholarships.
Well that's a fun thought.... Sorry..minds in the gutter today.. it happens.
11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So would this work? Roll the winnings into further Powerball entries, every time the pay-out is above a certain amount. Collect further jack pots until you have all the money in the world. Then solve all problems in the world with all the money in the world.
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Heehee. Doctors.

Well. Shoes. Eyeglasses. Then doctors.

(There's kind of so much of stuff-needing-money I'm behind of just the thought of suddenly being able to do the *shopping* exhausts me, even if it was more or less under-poverty-line sorts of stuff. I'd have to hire personal helper almost immediately. (Not to mention some kind of accountant. ) And probably be throwing money at a lot of thirty-100 dollar problems. Exciting. )

Past that, there's lots of literally not knowing what to do with it, I'd probably find.

Probably would send out 'modest' amounts of windfall to people who've helped me in the past, probably dash off something substantial for a particular homeless shelter for LGBT kids that is in trouble because of the hurricane, and otherwise, make some kind of retreat kind of move while developing a plan.

Basically, I think rather than just pumping it into existing charities, I'd probably be thinking of seeing what my own perenially-capital-strapped community could accomplish, one way or another. And see if I can't find a project to *build* something while it's all in one place. Cause it's pretty rare that that kind of *concentration* of wealth ends up in hands that would like to see something sustainable and community-based built.

There's some places I could like buy up half the town or a city block, throw up some more sustainable infrastucture, and see if people can get together with modestly-cooperative economic models and stuff. There's so much untapped potential out there, half a billion could prime a lot of pumps for a lot of people who are presently somewhat spinning wheels. (Easier said than done, but it'd probably keep me productively-occupied. )
11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Planless Saturdays

I love Saturdays, especially Saturdays when we don't have anything in particular planned. We get up late, have breakfast, play silly games with the boys, lounge around for a while talking, playing, relaxing, then we maybe decide if we want to do something as a family that involves a plan of some sort.

After a powerball windfall, every day for the rest of our lives would be a Saturday like that.

The option to do nothing in particular, for as long as you like, is very attractive to me. (anyone ever see Office Space?)

11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I'd do the exact same thing as Graphicgr8s would do...the very same thing in same order.

Jason

QuoteQuote:
Glad that if you win you'll take care of my family first and set up my son. Thanks Jason. BTW did you play? I'll let you know where to transfer the money if you win.

You guys here are all witnesses.
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Build Libraries, name them after my mother. Buy K5 II's for everyone so they could know my joy. OH, Jeff....you can come fish on my lake anytime you want. Just call, I'll send the DeHavilland Otter over to pick you up. Let Normhead and Tess know there's gonna be a party.
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy a K-5 & K-30, then I'd buy Pentax lenses at the inflated prices. Then when people in the Forum comment "who's the crazy person that buys a $500 lens for $1,200?", I would know they're talking about me.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 11-28-2012 at 08:43 PM.