Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mitt Romney Makes GQ’s List Of ‘The Least Influential People Of 2012′

The world is a fun place............

QuoteQuote:
GQ unveiled its list of “The Least Influential People of 2012,” commemorating “a collection of people so uninspiring that we should round them all up and stick them on an iceberg.” Among the 25 selected was one man who was a pretty dominant force in the news cycle this year: Mitt Romney.

While Romney is listed in the top spot, the magazine noted that “these folks are ranked in no particular order, because all zeros are created equal.” Comforting. Others gracing the list include Amanda Bynes (“spent all of 2012 avoiding acting gigs and trying desperately to run over your dog”), Ryan Lochte (“individual-medley-of-douchiness world record was shattered this year”), and “The Remaining Scraps Of Occupy Wall Street.” If it’s any consolation to Romney, First Lady Michelle Obama was included, too (“You tried, Mrs. Obama…Now why not join the winning team and indulge in this delicious pint of Häagen-Dazs Caramel Cone ice cream?”)

“Voting for Romney is like hooking up with the last single person at the bar at 4 a.m.,” GQ said. “The only successful thing he did this year was embody every black stand-up comedian’s impression of a white person.”

It then went on to pay tribute to the aspects of Romney’s campaign that won’t be missed:
Mitt Romney Makes GQ’s List Of ‘The Least Influential People Of 2012′ | Mediaite

11-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah come on now, that's just mean. The guy obviously had some strange kind of personality disorder. ( How about an almost psychopathic ability to suppress any feeling of empathy for the people he was forced to stand by in order to woo the "average man". That's a disability, and for that reason he should be spared this kind of thing. Fun is fun when the guy being made fun of will have the ability to understand it. Picking on Romney is just bad manners.
11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Filthy Mitt Romney Delivers Campaign Speech To Audience Of Confused Shoppers In Ohio Safeway | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

11-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

I'm a dyed in the wool Democrat, but I would like to go on record as saying that in a year or two, nearly everyone in this country is going to wish they voted for Romney. I agree his personality leaves something to be desired, but IMHO, the presidency is not a popularity contest nor should it be. Romney with all his faults remains a brilliant business man which this nation desperately needed. I fear we made a tragic error in re-electing Obama. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

11-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
I'm a dyed in the wool Democrat, but I would like to go on record as saying that in a year or two, nearly everyone in this country is going to wish they voted for Romney. I agree his personality leaves something to be desired, but IMHO, the presidency is not a popularity contest nor should it be. Romney with all his faults remains a brilliant business man which this nation desperately needed. I fear we made a tragic error in re-electing Obama. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
I don't think so. Being "brilliant" at making money buying (and often eviscerating) failing companies has very little to do with governing in a democracy. Harry Truman went bankrupt as a businessman, but he was a pretty good president. Warren Harding was a brilliant, self-made businessman who was a lousy president. The skill sets don't seem to transfer.

Romney left office at the only state he governed with a 60% disapproval. That state would not have re-elected him. That is about the percentage of the vote of that state which went to President Obama. There is little about his record that indicates he would do a better job. Many of the kinds of things he did to lose the election were also things which would have gotten in the way of governing as well.
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So Romney lost. But not influential? How about putting 48% up there with the 1% in how people think about things? How about putting a temporary (at least) kibosh on trickle down? And ensuring women, Hispanics etc are viable voting blocks to be courted? OK so maybe that's not all that much after all
11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote

He is no Rockefeller"...I'll stop there....
As to "wishing" for Romney.. let's just say, from my point of view" they are both in error...No I will not ever wish Romney won regardless of the outcome here...It would have been worse AFAIKT...

BOTH are embracing the idea of cutting "entitlements".. Both are wrong.
One wants to raise taxes on upper incomes.. one wants to cut them.. a wash since tax raises (and conversely cuts) on the wealthy is ineffective for anything...pro or con.
One wants less defense spending one more (w/ a diversion of "income" to fund it).. neither is a good idea per se.. IF you cut military spending and paste it onto more stimulative spending it could be a win but see BOTH above.

UNFORTUNATELY if Obama fails (and Congress, let us not FORGET about Congress.. please.....)
it will 'look bad" w/ no basis to believe the other side would have been "better"..........

11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It is like saying if McCain won and now won a second term, business would be booming.... Or if Romney won and on Day 1 Abolished Obamacare (as though that were possible!) that business would now be booming. But because Obama won both elections, and solely because of that, we are now screwed.

Even Bush jr winning twice was not entirely a 100% screw job... we don't know just how well or badly his Democrat opponents would have done given the same circumstances.

So really, IMO we're left with some principles and policies and beliefs. The one who more embodies them is the better president until forces outside his office make him act.
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Actually I think he was quite influential... He certainly convinced many many people who might have voted for a more palatable Republican candidate to vote for Obama.
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Actually I think he was quite influential... He certainly convinced many many people who might have voted for a more palatable Republican candidate to vote for Obama.
Seems to be the sad state of the Republican party though...unpalatable. Romney was easily the best of the crop of candidates they ran in the primaries.
11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Daily Kos: Google Hilariously Pegs Romney

Closed Thread