Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Five-Letter Words

Why do so many of you "censor" the brand names Canon and Nikon. I looked around a little bit and I didn't see a rule that says we can't say the brand names. (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm completely serious.) Is it an unwritten rule that we can't say those names or are we just being petty photography forum posters? (notice how I didn't say photographers)

02-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got no problems mentioning either of their names. Both brands are very good at what they do, and on some levels a lot better than Pentax. I just think some people can't handle that so choose to censor it so as the don't need to think about it.
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

this is a habit some people have to block their posts from being searched.

on forums such as this, its not so bad

but on a forum like the one at DPreview, something out of the stone age, with a horrible search algorithm, by writing n*k*n instead of nikon, when someone uses the keyword "nikon", the pentax related thread wont pop up.

sort of a self policing mechanism to help others use the search function.

otherwise if a nikon user types in "good nikon lens", all the pentax threads with the words "good" and "nikon" will get thrown in the mix, without realizing that half of them could be "my pentax is sooo good, nikon sucks"
02-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Obviously not a rule, unwritten or otherwise, so no need for hostility. Instead, in most cases, it's an ongoing joke between Pentax photographers (as in 'those who cannot be mentioned'), or at least an attempt to be humorous in this manner. Therefore, if you consider humor petty, then I guess this qualifies. Other reasons exist as well. Regardless, why would this, in your eyes, disqualify anyone from being called a photographer? That last sentence is a rhetorical question, so no answer is required.

stewart

02-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what Stewart said...
02-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
in most cases, it's an ongoing joke
Yeah, I think it all started by people writing M$ for ... you know who I mean
02-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
ok, so we're not militantly against the big two. that's good to know.

i said that last part about the photography forum posters because people acting like photographers don't get caught up in brand loyalty, people on internet forums do.

02-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Whenever I've deliberately not written Canon or Nikon, it's just playing around, and in context most of the other posts I've seen have been that way too. It's similar to posters typing "I've just been M42'd" instead of "I've just been screwed", a reference to M42 screw thread lenses. A bit of fun in perhaps an otherwise dry post.
02-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bb.hyena Quote
(snip) i said that last part about the photography forum posters because people acting like photographers don't get caught up in brand loyalty, people on internet forums do.

Well, that's news to me. I certainly consider myself a photographer (20+ years) and am just as prone to brand loyalty as anyone else. For example, I've been a fan of Mamiya MF cameras for most of those years, including long before internet forums. I'm also a fan of the Pentax K10D at the moment. I also purchase BMW cars, wear Fruit-Of-The-Loom underwear, like Heintz ketchup, drink Pepsi over Coke, run Windows XP on my computers, and so on through a long list of specific products and goods. Indeed, I haven't met a single person yet who isn't loyal to certain brands in one way or another. Therefore, if you claim to be otherwise, you're truly abnormal. Of course, if that isn't the case, then you're just pretentious in pointing a finger at others.

stewart
02-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What he said....
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For myself, it is just a joke: I own a Nikon (there I've said it) F3 and F4. And I can testify to the quality of these two machines.
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
...(snip)... Nikon (there I've said it) ...(snip)...

Shocking! Somebody wash this boy's mouth out with soap for using such dirty words.*

stewart

*By the way, not seriously recommended for anyone due to the chemicals in soaps today.
02-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Shocking! Somebody wash this boy's mouth out with soap for using such dirty words.*

stewart

*By the way, not seriously recommended for anyone due to the chemicals in soaps today.
You know, swearing once in a while feels good!