Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
and saw a huge patch of open corrosion on one of the jet engine mounts.

I kinda felt that way when I saw the duct tape (a fairly common thing I'm told) on the wings of the 6 seater that was going to fly me over the Grand Canyon. The plane was nothing like the one in the brochure picture.

12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I kinda felt that way when I saw the duct tape (a fairly common thing I'm told) on the wings of the 6 seater that was going to fly me over the Grand Canyon. The plane was nothing like the one in the brochure picture.
The green "100 MPH" mil.spec, stuff is pretty good for sub-sonic. Not sure how the silver variety from Lowe`s would fare .
12-06-2012, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm done flying too. I guess if I ever am shanghai'd into going on an overseas vacation, I'll have to but I'd rather drive my 30 year old Winnebago 4 days straight then endure One day of hell dealing with traffic....airport...plane...airport....traffic....

I'm down for a rocket rail gun monorail electromagnetic bullet train though!
12-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal, Jim, cringed as a read it. Glad you got out alive.

Several years ago my wife, oldest boy (who was about 8mos old at the time) and I flew from Mpls to San Diego with a stop over in Denver. It was horrible. I don't even want to recount the ways it was horrible, because I want to just forget about it.

Anyway, for various reasons we were delayed getting to the airport to fly back two weeks later.. and realized we were going to miss the flight no matter what we did. So, I called work, scheduled another few days PTO, we drove to the rental car place and secured the car for another 4 days and just drove home. Through Nevada, Utah,

(that's our rental car down there)

a night and morning spent in Zion,

a night in Colorado, driving through the Rockies,

then a straight shot through Nevada... It was incredible. That drive back was the most enjoyable part of that enjoyable trip.

Since that experience we've chosen to drive instead of fly on family visits to Texas, Tennassee, Chicago, Springfield IL, etc. We've only flown twice since then, because of time constraints... and hated it.

Driving is the way to go! See your country, enjoy the trip, not just the destination!

12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Well living in a third world country and flying a lot I have had very few problems. Most flights are on time, luggage there and staff friendly. Perhaps thirld world is not so bad after all.

Most countries (well) outside of the G20's have a more advanced ATC system than most of america. What's really sad (and quite a bit concerning) is that most of the atc system runs on items such as Pentium iV's (or worse even PIII's); and then the PIV's overheat all of the time. I'm surprised that not more planes almost literally fly into one another due to a system such as this.

And then there are customer service issues at airports. Please feel welcome to take a look at the distance between places such as Pittsburgh and NYC. Ironically it is actually better and "almost" as fast to catch a bus as opposed to a plane. By the time on figures in airport delays, excessive airport screening and all - it's almost better to catch the bus.

To think that every commercial plane in america is subsidized extensively by taxpayers
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal, Jim, cringed as a read it. Glad you got out alive.

Several years ago my wife, oldest boy (who was about 8mos old at the time) and I flew from Mpls to San Diego with a stop over in Denver. It was horrible. I don't even want to recount the ways it was horrible, because I want to just forget about it.

Anyway, for various reasons we were delayed getting to the airport to fly back two weeks later.. and realized we were going to miss the flight no matter what we did. So, I called work, scheduled another few days PTO, we drove to the rental car place and secured the car for another 4 days and just drove home. Through Nevada, Utah,

(that's our rental car down there)

a night and morning spent in Zion,

a night in Colorado, driving through the Rockies,

then a straight shot through Nevada... It was incredible. That drive back was the most enjoyable part of that enjoyable trip.

Since that experience we've chosen to drive instead of fly on family visits to Texas, Tennassee, Chicago, Springfield IL, etc. We've only flown twice since then, because of time constraints... and hated it.

Driving is the way to go! See your country, enjoy the trip, not just the destination!

I loved reading your post about driving back thru Nevada, Utah, Colorado, etc. My wife and I used to fly a lot, mostly to Europe, and it was enjoyable. Those days are long gone. The last time we flew to Germany to go to the Christkindlmarkts, on the return flight there was NO room between my knees and the seat in front of me. 8 hours crammed into that seat was the last straw. I detest flying now.
So this year for our 40th anniversary we did a 17-day driving trip to Southern Utah, Arizona and Nevada (we live in Minnesota.) I did all the driving, as my wife has arthritis and more than about 20 minutes is too much for her. We loved it! Took 3 days to get to Moab, and when we left Las Vegas for the return trip we took 3 days again. You miss so much of this country by flying over it. I think this year we'll do two 2-week driving trips (no idea yet where we will go.) I don't care if I ever fly again. We have a 2011 VW Golf turbo-diesel that averaged 43 mpg over the whole trip. Two flights to Vegas and back would have cost more than what we spent on fuel, but even if it was more expensive, I'd opt for the drive. When I retire (hopefully in 4 years) I'd love to do a three month driving tour with no specific timelines or destination.
I agree completely with your last statement:
See your country, enjoy the trip, not just the destination!
12-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jsherman is so right

Absolutely !! Could not agree more....unfortuneatley though one has to fly over that big puddle called the Pacific Ocean.

Driving through your South west & west coast is a wondrous experience, every turn or crest of a hill unfolds something new....and it gets better if you get off the Interstates and onto the secondary roads.

Attachment 150319

Attachment 150320

We drive from Brisbane to Sydney because besides being two hours the Sydney side of the airport, the drive itself (12 hours) is a lot more comfortable than the flight with my knees up around my ears, the car parking, and then getting to our destination in Sydney all make the car a very viable option.

Pictures not of the Sydney drive, but similar country.

Attachment 150327

Attachment 150328

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 07-25-2014 at 03:44 PM.
12-06-2012, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I agree 100% that driving is a fantastic way to go. We rented a car in New Zealand and drove around the entire time and it was amazing - one of the most memorable parts of the trip was the scenic driving - stunning. But unfortunately I don't have the luxury of driving to far places because for me, when my leave form says leave is over, I better be shaved, with a new haircut and in the office wearing a pressed uniform. So I am most often relegated to flying, especially considering how far I am from each destination, such as Academy in New York and living in Florida, or now living in Germany while family is in Florida and New York. So yes, driving is preferred, but for some, not feasible. Regarding flying, however....

I guess it depends on your level of tolerance. I've flown around the world both commercially and military, and I know that personally, (if I were allowed to) I am 100% OK flying in a cargo hold dodging shifting luggage the entire flight in order to save a good chunk of change, regardless of the distance. I really am perfectly ok with that and wish we'd be given the option to do so under the condition of signing a waiver that releases the airline of any responsibility should we get hurt. Unfortunately the world does not cater to my risk-accepting nature, so I am relegated to paying a premium for a chair and comfort that I really don't care about - just get me there and cheaply and I'm happy. But I digress...

I've been stranded enough times (travel in the Northeast US during Christmas will do that) that it doesn't bother me anymore. I was at JFK during the JetBlue debacle a few years ago and was delayed a few days, almost missing Christmas with my family.

But at the end of the day, I've done enough military flights in Afghanistan that require a 5+ hour showtime prior to the bird even manifesting that I don't complain about civilian flights anymore - they are just so much more efficient and reliable. As much as it may suck to you regarding missing a connection or just being a bit late, try waiting 12+ hours for a flight to arrive after the scheduled arrival time (after waiting another 5-6 hours from the time you first arrive at the terminal and check in, mind you), then palletize your own gear and luggage (because there's no one to do it for you), load up on the plane, buckle your seat belt and be given the safety brief, and then have all the lights turn back and have a crew member tell you simply "Flight's canceled guys" and then offer no explanation as to why. Oh, and there's no standby aircraft to take its place and still get on with the flight, and to add insult to injury, you have to de-palletize all of your gear and luggage, haul it back to the terminal and check in for any following flight, because you no longer have a reservation because it only applied to *that* flight (i.e. not flying "Space Available").

As with all things, it's all and always relative, but just keep in mind that we do have it good, even when it doesn't seem as such sometimes

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 12-06-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have never flown much so my experiences are limited. Mostly, things have been very smooth. The one exception was weather delays in Cincinatti several years ago. My daughter qualified for the National Rowing Championships in high school and went out to the regatta with the team. I flew after working all night and the flight out was fine. Coming home was the problem. My daughter and the team left at 3:00 PM in the van for the drive back to NY. My flight back to Albany was to leave at 5:00. First, thiunder storms caused a delay in the plane arriving to Cincy and then, the flight attendant called in sick and that caused further delays. I arrived home around 1:00 AM and my daughter called 15 minutes later to pick her up at the coaches house. Their drive and my flight took the same time.
12-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I love flying!

Perhaps it is because almost all of my flights are on Cathay Pacific, which is a terrific airline. In the last 12 months I've taken Cathay Pacific to Sydney, Cebu, Phuket (on Cathay's sister company, Dragonair) and London. In two weeks I'm off to Bangkok on Cathay, where I'll then rent a car and drive 5 hours to a remote island in the Gulf of Thailand near the Cambodian border.

Domestic flights in the US are less fun though. Last time I needed to go to Vegas and San Diego I just drove from LA.
12-07-2012, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I have had some other adventures flying:
1. In 2004, Air France, Paris to Toulouse, The baggage handler was outside the window readinghte instruction manuaul for loadingthe baggare. Reminds one of the Turkish Airlines D-10 that crashed out of Paris because the baggage door was not closed properly.
2. 1996, scheduled flight with China Airlines, Kaohsiung to Taipei at 8am, for connecting flight to London on Eva at 10am. Arrived at the airport at 8am, because of a traffic accident (soemone else) one the freeway that stopped all traffic completely for 2 hours. Went to the Eva countaer and said: "I know I am at the wrong airport, what can you do for me?" Everything sorted, for the next flight, in 3 days. Thew connecting flight went 6 days a week, but not Tuesdays, so I took the train to Taipei and got to taste sashim for the first time in my life at a wedding, where one of the singers was hit by fireworks rockets and then refused to sing!
3. 2012, Air New Zealand to Auckland, got sick on the way. It is embarrassing to be the person they ask everyone else to wait for to get off.
4. Singapore Airlines, Taipei to Singapore. I was sitting in the lounge and they came to me saying, "very sorry, you asked for an aisle seat (in economy), would you mind taking a centre seat inh business?" I took it.
5. The flying marsupial, going into Sydney in the wind. Hit the ground real hard, bounced high AND made a sharp turn at the same time.
6. Everytime I have gone to Indianapolis something went wrong with my baggage. Frist time they broke it, the other time was the trip through Toronto (my earlier post) and they lost it. One bag arrived on the next flight and the other the flight after.
7. Sydney to Taipei with Eva. Ansett, went broke the Saturday after the famous 11/9, refused to check my bags straight through so I had to collect them in Sydeny, then take the public bus from the domestic terminal to international at Sydney, by which time I was late. So the staff at the Eva counter called out my name as I approached. They grabbed my check in bag and then escourted me right through to the gate. I sat on the plane and they announced we had to wait an hour for the food to be loaded.
8. All Nippon, Narita to Taipei. The hostess was having trouble finding stuff in the trolley. I asked: "Are you new here?". "Yes, very new."
9. My employer used to fly me Adelaide to Whyalla fairly often with Whyalla Airlines. Then one day, just after the famous 11/9 I woke up and heard the news: Whyalla airlines crashed a plane into the sea near Whyalla. I thoughtr: "I probably flew in the same plane with the same pilot some time."

Travel enough and you will have some fun stories to tell.

And the office travel processes are run by clerks who give much grief over every part of the process from booking to acquitting expenses, becasue they are clerks who aspire to save for thier first overseas holiday, and do not think of travel for work as something arduous inflicted on the poor staff member.

But travelling so much contributed to me buying a good camera so I could get proper pictures when I travel. So that is why I have the K100DS.
12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

After spent almost 3 days trying to get my self from Sea-Tac to Bangkok with China Airline. No need to mention about the service and information provided by them during the delay. I think I can take just about anything! I definitely learned a lesson from it though.
12-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Plane left the gate 20 minutes late and arrived in Sacramento 20 minutes late.
OP: was it Frontier? I've had a terrible time with Frontier being late and then blaming it on something other than the fact that THEY were late.
12-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
OP: was it Frontier? I've had a terrible time with Frontier being late and then blaming it on something other than the fact that THEY were late.
Haven't done a lot of flying, but I do fly once every couple of years. The only problem I had was coming back to Philadelphia from New Orleans in 2000. Just as we hit the end of the taxiway and were the next plane in line for take off, word was given that PHI was shut down to due a landing plane there blowing out a tire. This coincided with GW arriving or departing in Philly for the Republican convention, so everything got way backed up, as getting one plane off the runway and getting GW moving was top priority. Anyway, it's August in New Orleans, and we are sitting on the end of the runway in the baking sun inside of an aluminum can with no air running. My wife, who has a tendency to get claustrophobic in crowds with little air circulation, starts to get a little panicky after about an hour. So we end up getting moved up to first class seats (without the service mind you) for the trip back home. Getting her some space and cooled down with cold damp rags did help for the next hour we sat on the runway. I understand not running the engines to keep the AC running, as that would be a huge fuel expenditure. I don't understand leaving us on the runway for 2 hours, as you've effectively just shut down part of the airport. Do you really mean to tell me that was a better option than moving us elsewhere, where we could quite possibly have hooked up to an APU and run the AC? It didn't even have to be at a terminal. I call the whole thing a push. The aircrew did what they could, but the people above them dropped the ball.
12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote

I am being cautious not to write anything libelous. I absolutely and emphatically refuse to deny that it was Frontier that was late.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-07-2012 at 09:53 AM.