Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another life ruined by lazy police.

Sex charges against Brampton teacher dropped - thestar.com

Hard to believe you can lay charges based on phone records, which later turn out to be inaccurate.

QuoteQuote:
Multiple news outlets had splashed Muliyil’s mug shot and stories of his arrest across the Internet, leading to trolls picking it up and posting it to websites that out sexual predators.
QuoteQuote:
His lawyer, Todd White, said police were given a phone number they believed to be a cellphone used to communicate with the girl, including text messages, but it was Muliyil’s landline.
What happened to the good old days when you actually had to do an investigation before you lay charges? I feel so bad for this guy.

12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

... what good old days? That was only in the movies ...
12-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What happened to the good old days when you actually had to do an investigation before you lay charges?
I don't know what happened there; but here?...............

Last edited by Parallax; 12-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I,m actually amazed no one in the police department has gone around to speak to the school board and the club he coached at to say, "we made a mistake, give the guy his life back" . Would that be too much to ask?

12-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This guy is not helping...

Peter Walker, founder of the Oakville volleyball club...

“I was shocked as hell when I heard he was charged,” said Walker, noting he never had any problems with Muliyil. “It was a horrendous misunderstanding and he got caught in the middle of it.”

Walker said he hasn’t yet given any thought to whether Muliyil can rejoin the organization.

-Why not if it was a "horrendous misunderstanding"? To publicly give him his job back seems easy enough.
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So many people think, just because you were charged and let go, you must have gotten off on a technicality or something. Amazing how many people you trust and have worked with for years, will ditch you in the blink of an eye over something like this. In the US at least I believe you can sue for false or malicious arrest. In Canada there is no such recourse. There is literally nothing this guy can do.
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mobile phone nos. here have a completely different format to landlines and they don't have an area code so there could be no confusion. They all start with 04 - no landline nos. do that - and are of the format 04nn nnn nnn, e.g., mine is 0408 483 2nn

12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Syracuse we have the Bernie fine scandal from last year back in the news. The federal investigation of Fine ended without any charges, but the Syracuse police chief gave an interview to the Syracuse Post Standard where he stated that the three accusers, whose statute of limitations had expired, were credible and he would have filed charges if he could. This despite the fact that one of the accusers admitted to lying about the allegations, and another denied anything happened for years.

So what we have here is the word of one guy, his step-brother who denied everything for years, and two admitted liars (both in jail, one for molesting a 13 year old). But that would be enough to get charges pressed if the statute of limitations wasn't in place.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Mobile phone nos. here have a completely different format to landlines and they don't have an area code so there could be no confusion. They all start with 04 - no landline nos. do that - and are of the format 04nn nnn nnn, e.g., mine is 0408 483 2nn
Here it's (area code where you lived around 2003) seven random numbers.
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Not in this part of the world, when I write down my sisters' cells, I have to designate which is the cell number. You can't tell by the number.
12-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not in this part of the world, when I write down my sisters' cells, I have to designate which is the cell number. You can't tell by the number.
Same here. The cell phones and landlines don't share prefixes within an area code, but unless you're from the same area as the phones, and pay attention to that sort of thing, you wouldn't know the difference.
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Here it's (area code where you lived around 2003) seven random numbers.
So I noticed on each visit to the US when I've bought either a phone or a SIM card for the duration of my holiday..
12-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
Banned

Photos: Albums
What happened to the good old days when you actually had to do an investigation before you lay charges
There are many, many instances in america where one is no longer innocent until proven guilty