Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A reason to think hard about your vote

If anyone who is even near the fence needs a good reason to think long and hard about the vote for President, Antonin Scalia (with his double vote, Clarence Thomas) would be food for thought.

According to Justice Scalia, a legislature can enforce its view of morality on anyone. With all the limits placed on government, that is not one of them. This justice believes it was a fair argument to compare feelings about being gay to feelings about murder, and the constitution is "dead, dead, dead." Scalia defends legal writings some find anti-gay

Probably the most radical justice appointed in more than half a century.

12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Probably the most radical justice appointed in more than half a century.
Yep. Right up there with Taney

No wait. Maybe Scalia is worst. At least Taney's world view was largely consistent with a large segment of the culture of his time.

Last edited by wildman; 12-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.
12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only bright side is that he and Kennedy are 76. There are currently 4 justices over the age of 70.
12-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Yep. Right up there Taney

No wait. Maybe Scalia is worst. At least Taney's world view was largely consistent with the large segment of the culture of his time.
Well, at least Taney didn't join the dissent on the Amistad.

12-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Scalia..one piece of work he is..............

QuoteQuote:
Scalia cited the New Testament to claim that government “derives its moral authority from God ... to execute wrath, including even wrath by the sword, which is unmistakably a reference to the death penalty.” He then made the following remarkable declaration:

“Indeed, it seems to me that the more Christian a country is, the less likely it is to regard the death penalty as immoral. Abolition has taken its firmest hold in post-Christian Europe and has least support in the church-going United States. I attribute that to the fact that for the believing Christian, death is no big deal.”

Scalia went on to attribute any Christian opposition to the death penalty—including that of the Pope—to the “handiwork of Napoleon, Hegel and Freud.”

“The post-Freudian secularist,” he remarked, “is most inclined to think that people are what their history and circumstances have made them, and there is little sense in assigning blame.” With these words the high court judge indicated his own view that crime is not to be explained as a phenomenon with social roots, but rather as the expression of the evil character of individuals.

Scalia continued: “You want to have a fair death penalty? You kill; you die. That’s fair. You wouldn’t have any of these problems about, you know, you kill a white person, you kill a black person. You want to make it fair? You kill; you die.”
QuoteQuote:
“Does [the death penalty] constitute cruel and unusual punishment?” Scalia asked. “The answer is no. It does not, even if you don’t allow mitigating evidence in. I mean, my Court made up that requirement.... I don’t think my Court is authorized to say, oh, it would be a good idea to have every jury be able to consider mitigating evidence and grant mercy. And, oh, it would be a good idea not to have mandatory death penalties...”
Scalia not only reiterated his support for the death penalty, but called on any judge who found the practice immoral to resign. “In my view,” he said, “the choice for the judge who believes the death penalty to be immoral is resignation rather than simply ignoring duly enacted constitutional laws and sabotaging the death penalty.”
US Supreme Court Justice Scalia on capital punishment: "Death is no big deal"

QuoteQuote:
“This court,” Scalia pointed out, “has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a court that he is ‘actually’ innocent.”
Scalia takes the position that, from a legal perspective, it no longer makes the slightest difference whether Davis is innocent of the murder he was convicted of committing, and for which, in all likelihood, he will be executed. If a defendant got a fair trial in state court, there’s nothing the federal court can do, Scalia argues, to reverse that verdict—even if new evidence comes to light that convinces the court to a moral certainty that the defendant is innocent.
Scalia's Death Row Lunacy - The Daily Beast

QuoteQuote:
On the question of doctrine, though, Scalia is out on a limb, and like a cartoon bunny, he’s sawing it off behind him. In 1995, Pope John Paul II issued an encyclical — an official document of the utmost importance — called “Evangelium Vitae,” in which he weighed in on the death penalty.

“The nature and extent of the punishment,” he wrote, “ought not to go to the extreme of executing the offender except in cases of absolute necessity: in other words, when it would not be possible to defend society.” In today’s societies, the pope said, “such cases are very rare, if not practically non-existent.”
Death penalty opponents celebrated, saying that “Evangelium Vitae” voiced the church’s near total opposition to capital punishment. Although important theologians disagreed, saying the encyclical falls short of calling the death penalty immoral, Scalia was not one of them In a 2002 speech at the University of Chicago, Scalia said “Evangelium Vitae” reversed centuries of Catholic tradition by making capital punishment — his word — “wrong.”

“I do not agree with ‘Evangelium Vitae,’ ” he said, “that the death penalty can only be imposed to protect rather than avenge, and that since it is, in most modern societies, not necessary for the former purpose, it is wrong.”

And so, after consultation with canonical experts, who advised him that the doctrine was nonbinding, Scalia — his words, again — “rejected it.”

To recap: The U.S. bishops oppose capital punishment. So do this pope, the last pope and documents from the Vatican press office. Catholic doctrine isn’t crystal clear, but Scalia himself believes “Evangelium Vitae” fails to support capital punishment. And so, in the tradition of millions of Catholics for thousands of years, he has rejected official teaching in favor of his own view, which he believes (to be presumptuous for a minute) to be more traditional and more moral than the established one.

That’s fine with me. I don’t want a justice sitting on the Supreme Court who submits blindly to religious authority or who holds his religion above the laws of the land. So keep your job, Justice Scalia. Just don’t pretend your church approves of the death penalty. Or that you aren’t like most people of faith, cherry-picking the teachings of your church that suit you best.
Justice Scalia speaks for himself on death penalty, not the Catholic Church - Washington Post

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only bright side is that he and Kennedy are 76. There are currently 4 justices over the age of 70.
They could all live past 90, and stay on the bench till they croak
12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Ruth Bader-Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer are likely to retire in the next few years. I have no doubt that Scalia will leave the court in a coffin, but have you seen a picture of him lately? That isn't someone who will live to 90.

12-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You can bet that Scalia and Kennedy aren't looking to retire until after they are 80.
12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
You can bet that Scalia and Kennedy aren't looking to retire until after they are 80.
Both have exceeded average male life expectancy for the US by a year already. But then, they have access to the very best health care available...

I still say Scalia doesn't look like one to listen to a doctor about eating right.
12-11-2012, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I still say Scalia doesn't look like one to listen to a doctor about eating right.
Or listen to anyone about anything.