Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Android Tablet Web Gallery

I think I am losing it......

I have a Toshiba Thrive tablet which is Android based. I haven't used it much for viewing my images lately, but want to set it up for sharing some of my photos over the Christmas holidays where I will not have an internet connection.

I could have sworn in the past that my tablet was in sync with my Picasa web account. I remember hitting the "Gallery" button on the home screen, and I would be automatically looking at my Picasa web gallery. This was nice since I could set up the photos on the Picasa website, then sync my tablet while at home over WiFi, then be able to view them anywhere.

I tried it this afternoon, and seems to have lost this feature. I looked on the Google Play site for the application, but all I found were a couple third party apps.

Is this something that was taken away, or am I just missing where to find this function on my tablet for some reason?

12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check that Google Photo sync is turned on in Accounts and SYnc in the Tablets settings.
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I checked my sync settings but there was nothing about Picasa or web albums in the list.

A little more digging, and I found that if I want to view my Picasa web album directly on my tablet as before, I had to setup a Google Plus account. As I started to do that, I realized that Google Plus is a social networking site which I don't want anything to do with. I finally found a page where I could delete myself from anything Google Plus related which I did.

I guess I will just load the pics I want on my tablet via an SD card. It was pretty nice the way it was before as I could upload my pics to my Picasa account and sync that to my tablet - guess that is no more.
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just checked my Android 4 phone - the Gallery app is still autosyncing Picasa Web albums. I have avoided any sign up to Google+ as I have zero faith in social sites respecting privacy of information. So I have a Google Mail account and a Picasa Web account (using same credentials).

Re third party apps, I use a thing called PicFolio now in preference to the Gallery app. From memory, it is a paid app, a few bucks or so. It also syncs Picasa Web albums and has control as whether it does this over the air or only while wifi connected (if data charges are a concern). What drove me away from the Gallery app is the inability to control the pace of a photo slideshow - it just whizzes thru them. Works well on both my phone and tablet (both Android 4) although I was using it on an older 3.2 tablet for a while as well.

Edit: so it makes me think there was a syncing/credentials problem with your tablet. A reboot sometimes clears these things...

12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks southlander - I'll take a look at PicFolio.

It seems almost every time I fire up my tablet, there are updates of some kind or another. I am guessing that one of these updates changed the way Picasa syncs and now forced it through Google Plus.

I also want nothing to do with any of those social networking sites. I was glad when I finally found the link to totally remove myself from G+ but could still retain my gmail account.
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, Google has pretty much combined Picasa with Google +. You still have the privacy settings of whether or not you want your pictures displayed. I have noticed that Picasa now defaults all pictures uploaded to private viewing and you have to go online and change that in your album properties. My Google + page is basicly empty. I think I posted once on it. Since Picasa is free, we don't have much choice. Google + doesn't do any more than provide another place for your public photos to be viewed and if you choose not be "social", you won't be.