Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's just nonsense. Firstly, the forum is international, not just in the US. Secondly, the forum was set up for friendly discussion on Pentax photographic equipment and photography. There is an appropriate time and place for everything. People are free to express themselves in places where it is appropriate to do so. Please spare us the victimisation.
I have a question for you.

What sort of discussions are allowed in the " General Talk" category? Can issues like, for instance, gun control or economic policies or current events be discussed if religious or political aspects are left out of it? I guess I'm asking if any subject is to be avoided that can lead to debate? Personally I don't see why that must be the case because even in photography discussions controversy (sometimes heated) arises. My impression is that most of the nasty exchanges are due to politics and religion.

12-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #92
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Les. Non-political/religious topics of any nature can be brought up in the General Talk forum. There is an Off-Topic section to the forum (where P&R has been), used specifically for this purpose. The only difference will be that after P&R closure, the forum is not permitting political or religious discussions. But everything else is as per usual.
12-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Yes, Les. Non-political/religious topics of any nature can be brought up in the General Talk forum. There is an Off-Topic section to the forum (where P&R has been), used specifically for this purpose. The only difference will be that after P&R closure, the forum is not permitting political or religious discussions. But everything else is as per usual.
Have you notified Jeff he isn't completely out of business?
12-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #94
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure Jeff will find a way to keep his business here going.

12-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #95
Veteran Member

That's just nonsense. Firstly, the forum is international, not just in the US. Secondly, the forum was set up for friendly discussion on Pentax photographic equipment and photography. There is an appropriate time and place for everything. People are free to express themselves in places where it is appropriate to do so. Please spare us the victimisation.
Whatever. I come here mostly for the community and for me P&R is an important part of the community, though I'm not a frequent poster to P&R.

Interesting how you completely side stepped the meat of my post which was seeking a clear answer to the statement you made and the question I asked in the quoted material following.

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Ash
However swearing is simply not permitted on this forum. Comply with the forum rules and there will be far less disappointment.
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by riff
I have no idea why you say swearing is not allowed on the forum.
I do not swear on the forum. I have never been reprimanded for swearing on the forum.
Are you saying monochrome swore in the post you edited?

Is this just an example? I don't swear on the forum because I have more effective ways to express myself and I know it bothers some. However there is nothing in the rules about it so some may assume it is not a priority. Just saying as a non swearing forum member.
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #96
Site Supporter

This will be the sticky point for some.
12-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Whatever. I come here mostly for the community and for me P&R is an important part of the community, though I'm not a frequent poster to P&R.

Interesting how you completely side stepped the meat of my post which was seeking a clear answer to the statement you made and the question I asked in the quoted material following.
You seem to be making an issue out of "swearing." If you don't use expletives, why are you concerned about someone getting a warning, infraction or post edited? This also goes for statements like: "You are an idiot," "you are a fool," "the likes of you" which can be construed as rude, insulting and inflammatory as per the PF forum rules.

QuoteQuote:
Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Moderator decisions with respect to the nature of posts are final.
PentaxForums.com - Forum Rules

We try to minimize the use of expletives because this is a "family friendly" forum and there are members that post her that are under the age of 18.

12-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #98
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your question was answered in the thread it was asked in. You are free to come and go as you please, as long as you abide by house rules. Simple.
12-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Have you notified Jeff he isn't completely out of business?
There's something in my mind about "sleeping dogs" and letting them lie...
12-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You seem to be making an issue out of "swearing."
Did you read the thread, swearing is not the issue. My issue is Ash made a reference to swearing on the forum replying to a post I made . I don't see how is had anything to do with anything I had said. The only reply, the thread was closed. I don't see that post as being rude or confrontational and I resent the shabby treatment.

Now I see this is just posted in the closed thread. (so I can't reply I assume)
QuoteQuote:
The answer to your first question is yes. The forum rules include swearing amongst other things under the special notice of this reference: PentaxForums.com - Forum Rules
Thanks for playing.
I guess that monochrome swore and that was the reason for the edit. (sorry I am still not 100% certain about that). If that was the case had Ash indicated swearing was the reason for the "edit" non of this would have followed.

Now regarding the quote above.
1) I am directed to a special set of rules that apply to P&R when monochrome post was not made in P&R
--- I do not have an issue with limiting swearing but in fact the general rules that apply to the forum monochrome posted to made do not mention swearing.
2) The "thanks for playing" comment is rude and completely uncalled for. Rather then smoothing things over it just makes me madder.
12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #101
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry that you take offence so readily riff. I was not referring to your posts regarding swearing. Swearing is still unacceptable here given that there are many other kinder ways to express oneself. Indeed if you had gotten the facts straight before getting upset about all this, there'd be no hard feelings.

Thank you and goodbye.
12-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #102
Site Supporter

Did you read the thread, swearing is not the issue. My issue is Ash made a reference to swearing on the forum replying to a post I made . I don't see how is had anything to do with anything I had said. The only reply, the thread was closed. I don't see that post as being rude or confrontational and I resent the shabby treatment.

Now I see this is just posted in the closed thread. (so I can't reply I assume)

I guess that monochrome swore and that was the reason for the edit. (sorry I am still not 100% certain about that). If that was the case had Ash indicated swearing was the reason for the "edit" non of this would have followed.

Now regarding the quote above.
1) I am directed to a special set of rules that apply to P&R when monochrome post was not made in P&R
--- I do not have an issue with limiting swearing but in fact the general rules that apply to the forum monochrome posted to made do not mention swearing.
2) The "thanks for playing" comment is rude and completely uncalled for. Rather then smoothing things over it just makes me madder.
That link was NOT to P & R forum rules but to PF rules which are also in effect in P & R. Did you bother reading the link to the rules? Furthermore, I read your comments in the other thread when the were current etc. Monochrome as you well know did in fact use expletives in the locked threads. We don't discuss moderation about other members in the open forum so you need to let it drop.

The thanks for "playing comment" is your words and not mine. That post nor this one were made as "political debate" but as a member of the moderation team.
12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #103
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If a forum that tries to maintain a friendly, polite atmosphere isn't to anyone's liking; if they feel they cannot adequately express their ideas due to restrictions on swearing, rudeness, or hostility, we understand. One size doesn't fit all.
There's always 4chan. They thrive on that.
Closed Thread