Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I don't think that is a fair sentiment. My participation in photography here is primarily to read what others are doing. I don't have a lot of time for doing much photography, but I like being around it, hearing about it, keeping up on new stuff . . . I also love Pentax. That PF provided an avenue for peoples' intellectual side was very much appreciated. Rather enlightened, I thought, for a dedicated forum.
You have just reinforced what I said. You are here primarily for the photography aspect of a photography forum. My post was directed at those who are here not here for photography but for the P & R forum. If that is their only reason for being here, they really don't belong here to begin with. Sometimes I wonder - and have even asked in the past - whether some of these people even own a camera, let alone a Pentax.

12-14-2012, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Thanks btw.........

Problem usually is is you either are 1)preaching to the choir or 2)fighting semantics and ideology tooth and nail.. Places like this where p/r is a sideshow are just more fun and usually more enlightening..

not to mention in a sense the group has a "common bond" to wrap uncommon ideas around.........

Like the difference between talking to an extended family vs a street corner soapbox...........

also is sort of a "resting place" (as others have pointed out) for those just not in to discussion the latest Pentax camera related "crisis"
Definitely a lot of preaching to the choir on specialty forums. The diversity here is good.

I jump in and check News and Rumors, but "News" from Pentax is a twice a year event, and the rumors have not changed for 10 years. The hottest lenses were the LTDs that were made 10 years ago, and the biggest rumor (other than FF) is what will Sigma release in a K-mount. The content level for the rest of the forum is pretty low.

I always thought the P&R section was an enter at your own risk anyway. Why does it need moderation? I don't post in the religious discussions and rarely in the Rep. vs Dem debates so I guess I miss out on the real mud slinging. Maybe they should add a therapy section for people who have had their feelings hurt by a stranger on the internet. Can we have a group hug forum?
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Definitely a lot of preaching to the choir on specialty forums. The diversity here is good.

I jump in and check News and Rumors, but "News" from Pentax is a twice a year event, and the rumors have not changed for 10 years. The hottest lenses were the LTDs that were made 10 years ago, and the biggest rumor (other than FF) is what will Sigma release in a K-mount. The content level for the rest of the forum is pretty low.

I always thought the P&R section was an enter at your own risk anyway. Why does it need moderation? I don't post in the religious discussions and rarely in the Rep. vs Dem debates so I guess I miss out on the real mud slinging. Maybe they should add a therapy section for people who have had their feelings hurt by a stranger on the internet. Can we have a group hug forum?
and the rumors have not changed for 10 years.

As an "old timer" I find that very humorous..............

so I guess I miss out on the real mud slinging

It is a rarity.............

Can we have a group hug forum?

Most FF threads qualify............
12-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Here's a real world example why. There is a website called AR15.com that as the name says, is about the AR15 rifle. There is a section on that site called Ed Sr's Bear Pit. It is only open to members, but it is a shinning example of how low people can go when discussing other people. Had I have seen that before I became a member, I'm not sure I would have joined because the posts there make gun owners look, well let's say the word bad would be a gross understatement.

Allowing the same behavior here would do the same. It would make Pentax owners look like something 99% of us aren't.

12-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It would make Pentax owners look like something 99% of us aren't.
Canon owners?
12-14-2012, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a real world example why. There is a website called AR15.com that as the name says, is about the AR15 rifle. There is a section on that site called Ed Sr's Bear Pit. It is only open to members, but it is a shinning example of how low people can go when discussing other people. Had I have seen that before I became a member, I'm not sure I would have joined because the posts there make gun owners look, well let's say the word bad would be a gross understatement.

Allowing the same behavior here would do the same. It would make Pentax owners look like something 99% of us aren't.
AR 15 guys (poodle shooters) are a special case anyway.
12-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I understand not wanting it to turn into a profanity laced hate forum, but I have never seen any indication of that on this forum. I must be missing the real action around here. I have not seen any locked threads where things have gotten out of hand.

Can you post a link to some threads here that got out of hand and generated a lot of complaints?

12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
AR 15 guys (poodle shooters) are a special case anyway.
Pretty much. I would rather take an M1A action with a national match barrel and drop it into a SAGE or Troy industries stock.
12-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I understand not wanting it to turn into a profanity laced hate forum, but I have never seen any indication of that on this forum. I must be missing the real action around here. I have not seen any locked threads where things have gotten out of hand.

Can you post a link to some threads here that got out of hand and generated a lot of complaints?
The reason why you haven't see them is because the mods remove them when they see them or they are reported. But believe me, it does happen.
12-14-2012, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

You have just reinforced what I said. You are here primarily for the photography aspect of a photography forum. My post was directed at those who are here not here for photography but for the P & R forum. If that is their only reason for being here, they really don't belong here to begin with. Sometimes I wonder - and have even asked in the past - whether some of these people even own a camera, let alone a Pentax.
Why as a site support do I not belong here as I come here and my most visited section is the P&R area ? I don't post in other areas because when I did I got flamed by all of my fellow forum members and being nothing but a snapshoter and not a serious photographer. I lurk the other areas but will never post there because of the this attitude towards "non serious" photographers. I will miss the P&R section even though I may not have the same political views as 99% of the other posters they were still for the most part entertaining to read and argue with on occasion with. I will admit I will rethink my continued support of this website as a result of its closure if I am going to nothing but a lurker on the site why support it? Just my two cents about this.
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Pretty much. I would rather take an M1A action with a national match barrel and drop it into a SAGE or Troy industries stock.
Maybe we just need a gun part of the forum.
12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Thanks btw.........

Problem usually is is you either are 1)preaching to the choir or 2)fighting semantics and ideology tooth and nail.. Places like this where p/r is a sideshow are just more fun and usually more enlightening..

not to mention in a sense the group has a "common bond" to wrap uncommon ideas around.........

Like the difference between talking to an extended family vs a street corner soapbox...........

also is sort of a "resting place" (as others have pointed out) for those just not in to discussion the latest Pentax camera related "crisis".........

As most may have noticed I have been here since 2006 .... and joined for camera and related discussions.. I currently just use my *ist-D (care to reopen discussions on the stupidest camera name...) for home snaps and a K200 for work related purposes.. i.e. advertising..

But current tech discussions and the ENDLESS discussion on FF has lost most relevence nd importance to me.. And like politics can be equal to hitting ones head against a wall..

Ther is no differnce but subject..........

Adam can do what he wants.. his sandbox.. Just hope it is his choice..or his idea of the right thing..

I'm certainly not going to go completely away.. never been a quiiter.. and there are too many that I consider relevant to me. for one reason or another..

But photography has to become more important in MY life.. not being blessed w/ gobs of discretionary money to buy the latest toy.. or to buy the latest overpriced lens (assembled in some low wage 3rd world) and compare it to someone elses overpriced lens..
I've never posted to win a popularity contest.. just to bring ideas/facts/theories to light and to HOPE to make things just a teeny tiny bit different..I certainly never expect miracles.. (except maybe the cold fusion thing)

Pentax was special because they were "Japanese old school" and had history..and were the perennial overachiever and under-hyped...and different.

Funny though.. when I bought my first NEW camera I had limited my choice between a Ricoh (Kr-5 I believe) and Pentax Super Program. Picked the SP.. Circle of life??

It's not all about cameras, and religion, and politics.. but how we perceive it.. but perception should be based on facts.. throw in a dash of ideology/history and that's ok. It is how we function best..

Well Mr. C&P I have a feeling I may agree with you.

Odd.

I feel faint.

I can't feel my toes.

My finger sto
12-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #58
Veteran Member

FWIW, even though I have posted in it many times, I support the closure of the P & R pages. It seems entirely possible that someone could become unhinged and do harm. If I were an administrator I would not want to become a party to that, if even unwittingly.
12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #59
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Why as a site support do I not belong here as I come here and my most visited section is the P&R area ? I don't post in other areas because when I did I got flamed by all of my fellow forum members and being nothing but a snapshoter and not a serious photographer. I lurk the other areas but will never post there because of the this attitude towards "non serious" photographers. I will miss the P&R section even though I may not have the same political views as 99% of the other posters they were still for the most part entertaining to read and argue with on occasion with. I will admit I will rethink my continued support of this website as a result of its closure if I am going to nothing but a lurker on the site why support it? Just my two cents about this.
You would support PF because it is a useful and informative dedicated forum of people with an interest in photography and Pentax (and Ricoh) gear. Supporting the forum for the primary reason that it has a P&R section loses the intended focus of photography-related discussion and Pentax news/equipment .

You don't have to be serious about photography nor even own a Pentax to be welcome and participate in the forum. If a member felt unwelcome for any reason, the offensive posts should be reported to moderation staff.

Last edited by Ash; 12-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #60
Veteran Member

The reason why you haven't see them is because the mods remove them when they see them or they are reported. But believe me, it does happen.
Now your making it sound like voter fraud..........
Closed Thread