Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You asked;
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And the existence of police in society? Do they make a mockery of democracy?
And I provided three examples of what I consider gross mockery of democracy.

Right. Try starting up a community where there is no policing of law and see how well it cares for you.
Or I could try living in a community where the police and politicians do whatever they feel like doing regardless of the law. Seems to be more of that going around, neither is desirable. (and I don't expect my community to care for me)

No humanly established authority is going to be perfect, nor be immune to abuse, let alone corruption.
That doesn't make it right or moral nor does it mean that I should ignore abuse and corruption. In fact authorities should be held to a higher standard because we as a society have put them in trusted positions.

12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #77
Veteran Member

And the existence of police in society? Do they make a mockery of democracy?
Government makes a mockery of democracy.

HSBC has been laundering money for drug cartels for years. No jail time, no lost jobs, no body will be held accountable. A $1.9 billion fine is about one months profits for HSBC. What would happen to you if you got caught with 1 ounce of pot? Would you get the same treatment from the law? If you were laundering money for a local drug dealer would you get off with a slap on the wrist?

Government, police, the law makes a mockery of itself.
12-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
....I've learned quite a bit.
I'll bet most of it you didn't want to know.
12-14-2012, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Government makes a mockery of democracy.

HSBC has been laundering money for drug cartels for years. No jail time, no lost jobs, no body will be held accountable. A $1.9 billion fine is about one months profits for HSBC. What would happen to you if you got caught with 1 ounce of pot? Would you get the same treatment from the law? If you were laundering money for a local drug dealer would you get off with a slap on the wrist?

Government, police, the law makes a mockery of itself.
HSBC is a mild example. If Bush and Cheney murdered a single person in the street with a gun, they'd be up for murder, but murdering 100,000 people with an army is not a problem.

12-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #80
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
You asked;

And I provided three examples of what I consider gross mockery of democracy.

Or I could try living in a community where the police and politicians do whatever they feel like doing regardless of the law. Seems to be more of that going around, neither is desirable. (and I don't expect my community to care for me)

That doesn't make it right or moral nor does it mean that I should ignore abuse and corruption. In fact authorities should be held to a higher standard because we as a society have put them in trusted positions.
And you can clearly see from my posts that I never indicated any of the above words you put in my mouth. I'm not discussing this any further, but I am in support of the democratic agreement to the closure of this forum.
12-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #81
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If Bush and Cheney murdered a single person in the street with a gun, they'd be up for murder, but murdering 100,000 people with an army is not a problem
Both Bush and Cheney have to be quite cautios of exactly where they travel. If either were to step foot in one of the many countries that could easily charge them as war criminals - it would get quite interesting. Although not reported publicly... Air Force One (not all that long ago) was denied landing rights because of an example exactly like that
12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #82
Site Supporter

News and rumors.

Last edited by Blue; 12-15-2012 at 09:25 AM.
12-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I'm not discussing this any further, but I am in support of the democratic agreement to the closure of this forum.
Of course you don't want to discuss it just like you don't want to discuss this specific post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/208124-news-p...ml#post2204393

Sadly in t-5 days another place in the USA where some freedom of expression was allowed dies.
12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #84
Pentaxian

We just need a series of code words.... K-5 is Liberal, K20D is conservative , Battery Grip means "sucks really bad." Thus As a Liberal I think all you COnservatives suck really bad becomes. Compared to a K-5 a K20D really needs a battery grip.

With the appropriate response being "I think a battery grip looks better on a K-5 than on a K20D.

Come on people , we can do this.
12-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #85
Site Supporter

Of course you don't want to discuss it just like you don't want to discuss this specific post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/208124-news-p...ml#post2204393

Sadly in t-5 days another place in the USA where some freedom of expression was allowed dies.
The bigger issue is the simple fact that some people want complete freedom of expression as long as they aren't held responsible for said expression when they become rude and derogatory. However, some of those sample people get their nickers in a bunch when the same things are done to them. Hiding behind a keyboard is not an excuse to act like a jackwagon. I could go down to a couple of biker bars on the coast her and ask who was riding the sissy bike in the parking lot. I am fairly certain my freedom of expression would be interrupted.

There has been spill over with certain attitude into the rest of PF. Plus, this isn't the first time this has come up.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/109314-mus...p-r-forum.html

In additon, other forums have started taking similar stances. One popular hang out for many Pentaxians no longer allows any religious discussion in the off-topic area.

Last edited by Blue; 12-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
12-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We just need a series of code words.... K-5 is Liberal, K20D is conservative , Battery Grip means "sucks really bad." Thus As a Liberal I think all you COnservatives suck really bad becomes. Compared to a K-5 a K20D really needs a battery grip.

With the appropriate response being "I think a battery grip looks better on a K-5 than on a K20D.

Come on people , we can do this.
The problem with your analogy is that many people have K-5 and K20D.

12-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The problem with your analogy is that many people have K-5 and K20D.

The codes words
"I know this hot model who will pose for $10 an hour" will act as a trigger for the code. We need someone to design a code reader that will translate messages into English and back. I'm hoping we have some programmers who will get on this right away.
12-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The bigger issue is the simple fact that some people want complete freedom of expression as long as they aren't held responsible for said expression when they become rude and derogatory. However, some of those sample people get their nickers in a bunch when the same things are done to them. Hiding behind a keyboard is not an excuse to act like a jackwagon. I could go down to a couple of biker bars on the coast her and ask who was riding the sissy bike in the parking lot. I am fairly certain my freedom of expression would be interrupted.

There has been spill over with certain attitude into the rest of PF. Plus, this isn't the first time this has come up.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/109314-mus...p-r-forum.html

In additon, other forums have started taking similar stances. One popular hang out for many Pentaxians no longer allows any religious discussion in the off-topic area.
I honestly think, that if we were all in the same room we'd get along fine. When someone says something really obnoxious and smirks, on-line we don't see the smirk. When someone thinks some one is not being sincere, we don't have the facial clues that would tell us. You and I had an incident when I thought you were being sarcastic when you were being straight up. Quite simply, the internet doesn't lend itself to this type of discussion. Even the most conservative guys on here, if they were on my baseball team we'd sit in the bar and make fun of each other after the game and there'd be no hard feelings. You can't really expect people to change the way they are to accommodate the internet. In my opinion, it's just not the right place for this kind of thing. There are too many mis-understandings based on how obscure the actual intent of the poster can be.

Last edited by normhead; 12-16-2012 at 12:52 PM.
12-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #89
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's just nonsense. Firstly, the forum is international, not just in the US. Secondly, the forum was set up for friendly discussion on Pentax photographic equipment and photography. There is an appropriate time and place for everything. People are free to express themselves in places where it is appropriate to do so. Please spare us the victimisation.
12-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #90
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I honestly think, that if we were all in the same room we'd get along fine. When someone says something really obnoxious and smirks, on-line we don't see the smirk. When someone thinks some one is not being sincere, we don't have the facial clues that would tell us. You and I had an incident when I thought you were being sarcastic when you were being straight up. Quite simply, the internet doesn't lend itself to this type of discussion. Even the most conservative guys on here, if they were on my baseball team we'd sit in the bar and make fun of each other after the game and there'd be no hard feelings. You can't really expect people to change the way they are to accommodate the internet. In my opinion, it's just not the right place for this kind of thing. There are too many mis-understandings based on how obscure the actual intent of the poster can be.
I think you're 100% right on this one, Norm.
I also think that this thread, like the one in PF News, as outlived it's usefulness. As I stated elsewhere; we don't want anyone to leave, bit if any of you feel that not being allowed to fight, argue, berate, insult, and engage in a virtual testosterone spitting contest is too much of a restriction; we understand and we wish you well.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Closed Thread