Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Tropical Fish

Although photography has been a hobby/profession since I was a teen my second longest running hobby is keeping tropical fish and aquatic plants. I am working up to setting up all 50+ tanks I currently own.

So anyone else here keep and/or breed tropicals?

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 12-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.
12-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I have some three tanks with thirteen hundred gallons of saltwater (marine); but haven't yet ventured into tropical just yet.

I will be setting up at least two tropical tanks at the beginning of the new year though.

Two major considerations though for tropical. How will you control the temps? Btw, also a good idea to avoid window light exposure. Also best to factor in as much air as possible into the tank
12-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never had fish, but that talk about temperature control reminds me: with your expertise in tank temperature regulation, you should be excellent at developing color film

That would be my next challenge: take some pictures of tropicals and then develop the film in my own tank, at home.
12-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I've never had fish, but that talk about temperature control reminds me: with your expertise in tank temperature regulation, you should be excellent at developing color film

That would be my next challenge: take some pictures of tropicals and then develop the film in my own tank, at home.
Wouldn't that be hard on the fish?

12-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to years back but got away from it. One of the things that happened was that my fish began disappearing. It seems that fish get used to being fed and some will swim to the top of the tank and wait. My two daughters who were toddlers at the time liked to go fishing.........anyhow, after we had to move to another apartment, the tank never got set up again and I gave it away. I might get another one. Fish are far more interesting than TV.
12-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Wouldn't that be hard on the fish?
Would give really randomized agitation, the best kind!
12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I have some three tanks with thirteen hundred gallons of saltwater (marine); but haven't yet ventured into tropical just yet.

I will be setting up at least two tropical tanks at the beginning of the new year though.

Two major considerations though for tropical. How will you control the temps? Btw, also a good idea to avoid window light exposure. Also best to factor in as much air as possible into the tank
4 of my tanks, which include 2 count em two of the old school Metaframe tanks with the slate bottom are in the house. I've got a 55 Metaframe in the kitchen with a 20 long turtle tank below. In my family rom I have another 55 Metaframe with a 45 below on a double metal stand. 3 of those tanks are pretty heavily planted and the one in the kitchen gets sunlight. These all have in tank heaters. In the fish house, my former pressroom, I've got the rest of my tanks. During most of the year it's a matter of keeping the tanks from getting too hot. It's a 14 x 20 shop. Fully insulated and with a "window shaker" a/c. I keep that set at 82 unless I am working in there. If it's cool enough I open the windows. Right now most of that setup is plants so temps aren't as much a problem as when I get fish going. I've got 4 of my 22 gallon breeder tanks with plants. Mostly crypts but I do have plenty of others. I'm cycling a 75 but will probably start that one over because it's off on level by 2 washers. Probably go with tilapia there. 4 more of the 22's will go to livebearers. 2 will go to gourami breeding. 4 20 talls will go to angel fish breeding. The rest I am unsure of but will probably go towards attempting to breed some of the more difficult species to help get them out there.
I've got a few tanks in a small room I built in the "shed" that was to be my darkroom and I'll heat that with a space heater. The rest will be in-tank heaters.
I almost bought 10 of the 700 gallon concrete grow out tanks from EkkWill but couldn't justify the $400 for getting $200 in tanks up to my house from Ruskin. They're heavy.
12-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to have freshwater tropical fish when I was a kid. Just the usual fish you see - cichlids, neon tetras, angel fish, guppies etc. I also got into keeping coldwater marine fish from the UK (wild caught, I should probably be slightly ashamed to say). Things used to appear in the tank, from nowhere - presumably brought in as planktonic larvae. A sea-gooseberry appeared one day. Anemones just popped up. A small black fish, some kind of ling, disappeared for years and was forgotten about - presumed eaten by something else. Then one night there was a disturbance in the tank - it had been there all along, behind the rocks, getting bigger and bigger. The sea water butts in the front yard - which had been sealed for at least a year - were mysteriously found to contain two large and slightly aggressive shore crabs.