Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is because it doesn't.
Wouldn't you think otherwise if your kid was among the 25 dead in Conn.? What is hard, making the effort to imagine seeing your child dead in front of his school or associating this mental image with your defending gun ownership? With the powerful argument that 'people kill people, not guns.' Or with the other implacable point, that crazy people can obtain guns illegally...

12-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Wouldn't you think otherwise if your kid was among the 25 dead in Conn.? What is hard, making the effort to imagine seeing your child dead in front of his school or associating this mental image with your defending gun ownership?With the powerful argument that 'people kill people, not guns.' Or with the other implacable point, that crazy people can obtain guns illegally...
No I would not feel differently because I know that would not have changed the outcome. What you are trying to do is employ emotional response to a knee jerk reaction. This punk just killed his mom and most of her class so I don't think violating one more law would have bothered him. ON top of that, he is in a heavy gun control area and in a "gun free zone" on top of that.

This story reminds me of this:

http://www.spyghana.com/son-kills-father-in-arrow-attack/
12-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wouldn't you think otherwise if your kid was among the 25 dead in Conn.? What is hard, making the effort to imagine seeing your child dead in front of his school or associating this mental image with your defending gun ownership? With the powerful argument that 'people kill people, not guns.' Or with the other implacable point, that crazy people can obtain guns illegally...
Yeah and Mexico is so safe with some of the toughest laws around.
QuoteQuote:
In 1971, Article 10 of the present Constitution was reformed[11] to limit the right keep arms within the home only (in Spanish: ...derecho a poseer armas en su domicilio...) and reserved the right to bear arms outside the home only to those explicitly authorized by law (i.e. police, military, armed security officers). The following year, the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives came into force[12] and gave the federal government complete jurisdiction and control to the legal proliferation of firearms in the country; at the same time, heavily limiting and restricting the legal access to firearms by civilians.
So if you go to Mexico will you feel all warm, fuzzy and safe there knowing that they can only keep arms in their homes?

Maybe what would have changed the outcome is if one of the teachers had a S&W 500

12-14-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Everyone should have an A-bomb, then we would all be safe.

12-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Some thoughts on the Connecticut school shooting and gun control in the U.S. from the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph. I can't say I disagree.

Connecticut school shooting: the tragedy at Sandy Hook could force Obama to act on gun control - Telegraph
12-14-2012, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Causey said this: "Sheer insensitivity to life"
And there you have it. Plain and simple, this is the root cause in each and every case of these horrific mass killings. When I was a kid this stuff rarely, if ever happened and we were allowed to take guns to school for Shooting Club.
12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Everyone knows what I think... so , I'm not even going to say it.... what I am going to say is, this kind of thing never happened when I was a kid. American gun culture hasn't changed since then. But shooting have gotten worse...

SO what's the solution? I don't see how anyone can say we can do nothing... but what is the solution. More money in mental health care? Or does everyone think America's just having freak streak of bad luck and you can get away with doing nothing?

Regardless of what the solution is here, it's getting hard to believe there doesn't need to be a plan.

I feel so bad for these parents. I'm not going back on the news for the rest of the day. There's just been too much of this lately. Knowing that folks aren't going to try anything to stop this kind of things doesn't help. All I hear from anyone is a bunch of reasons why nothing can be done. The country is paralyzed. No one has a clue what to do. ANd the answer of the gun owners, at least posting in my paper, is "We need more guns." That's the only suggestion i've seen.

12-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Everyone should have an A-bomb, then we would all be safe.
Back when it was just us and the USSR pretty much most people realized that neither would actually "push the button". Both countries were still high on self preservation and knew that even if they were the first neither would survive. Today you have countries, principalities, people, etc. where it's not self preservation but in the name of some god or gods and will even send little children (their own flesh and blood) to blow themselves and as many others as possible up.

The comparison you're trying to make is cantaloupes and oranges.
12-14-2012, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO what's the solution? I don't see how anyone can say we can do nothing... but what is the solution. More money in mental health care? Or does everyone think America's just having freak streak of bad luck and you can get away with doing nothing?
Norm, I've maintained that part of the solution is to get the media to quit giving them the fame that they're seeking.
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
What Kind Of Insane Monster Targets CHILDREN
Since invadng Iraq; the united states of america has "captured and imprisoned" over one thousand people that are not yet age eighteen. That's held without trial and without many rights at all. Might I also add that out of that 1k number there are also almost two hundred not even age 15
12-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Everyone knows what I think... so , I'm not even going to say it.... what I am going to say is, this kind of thing never happened when I was a kid. American gun culture hasn't changed since then. But shooting have gotten worse...

Regardless of what the solution is here, it's getting hard to believe there doesn't need to be a plan.

I feel so bad for these parents. I'm not going back on the news for the rest of the day. There's just been too much of this lately. Knowing that folks aren't going to try anything to stop this kind of things doesn't help. All I hear from anyone is a bunch of reasons why nothing can be done. The country is paralyzed. No one has a clue what to do. ANd the answer of the gun owners, at least posting in my paper, is "We need more guns." That's the only suggestion i've seen.
Norm, there really isn't much of a solution. That is the real problem. If you knew why a 20-something year old guy wanted to kill his mother (the teacher) that would be the place to start. However, once he made THAT decision, there is the real problem.
12-14-2012, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Maybe start with discipline? And taking it out of government hands? Parents not afraid to give their kid a spanking? Teaching that it's not ok to hurt others? Maybe church? Maybe parents showing kids affection and parental love instead of trying to be their friend? My father was never my friend. He was always my father. He was always "Daddy". And when I stepped out of line he was the "punisher".
12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

ANd the answer of the gun owners, at least posting in my paper, is "We need more guns." That's the only suggestion i've seen.
The gun owners' master argument has three points:
(a) Guns don't kill people; people do;
(b) Crazies get firearms illegally;
(c) If X had had a weapon, this massacre wouldn't have happened.

As long as Americans are fascinated by this *powerful* line of *reasoning*, nothing can be done, and the show is bound to repeat itself soon, possibly in a theater near you.
12-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #44
Site Supporter

The gun owners' master argument has three points:
(a) Guns don't kill people; people do;
(b) Crazies get firearms illegally;
(c) If X had had a weapon, this massacre wouldn't have happened.

As long as Americans are fascinated by this *powerful* line of *reasoning*, nothing can be done, and the show is bound to repeat itself soon, possibly in a theater near you.
Crazies also get bows, knives, bombs, fire, and automobiles. Click on the link from earlier in the month where the guy killed his professor dad in class with an arrow and killed his dad's girlfriend with a knife.
12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If just ONE teacher or administrator in that school had been legally carrying a defensive firearm this tragedy may have been less serious. What all of the anti-gun crowd is to myopic to see, is that one of the reasons our schools are such tempting targets is that our schools are a "target rich and threat free" killing zone.

Naturally a legally armed citizen might not have prevented all of the deaths... they might not even have prevented any of them, but there is a chance that this monster might have been stopped sooner. Some chance is better than NO CHANCE! Of course, we do not know that this did not happen, but given the fact that it is illegal to possess, much less use, firearms on school property (please note that this did not slow down the shooter one iota) just about everywhere in this country, it is unlikely.

We do not know yet whether the shooter was killed by police or whether he suicided. I hope he was killed by the police and died as afraid as his victims were.

All school administarators and select teachers should be permitted to carry defensive weapons at their discretion. This is one step we can take, a simple step which removes the ability of shooters like this to prey on their victims without fear of anyone fighting back effectively, to increase the safety of our schools.

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Closed Thread