Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Since you don't capitalize America yet you do for Geneva are you one of them?
Seems like a valid question.

12-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Seems like a valid question.
Who cares.. t-1.... another "witch hunt".............really give it up...

One can legally spell amerika any way they want..........
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
really give it up...
12-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see that much has changed, Les. We continued on the same course in Afghanistan and Iraq that George Bush had charted and will reach the end at the same time. There has been a lot of money blown on environmental companies that have gone out of business. As to torturing gay people, I honestly don't remember much of that in the Bush White House, but maybe they were terrorists?

The budget continues to be in terrible shape and a lousy health care law has been passed which doesn't appeal to either conservatives or to liberals. I was rooting for some type of universal health care law, Medicare for all, or something along those lines. Well, we know that didn't happen.

Gitmo is still open.

The lobbyists continue to run the show and write the laws. Maybe they are slightly different lobbyists than during the Bush years, but they are lobbyists none the less and this probably bothers me more than anything.

Because of our legislative system, the President does not bear the weight alone of all of these failures, but Obama has spent an awful lot of time just waiting for others to come up with plans, seldom taking the initiative to push a particular plan and therefore often seeing little results in the end.
A President has only so much power, and even what he has can be thwarted by tactics like 232 filibusters in four years and other blocking manuevers. Closing gitmo, for instance:

QuoteQuote:
Congress has used its spending oversight authority both to forbid the White House from financing trials of Guantánamo captives on U.S. soil and to block the acquisition of a state prison in Illinois to hold captives currently held in Cuba who would not be put on trial - a sort of Guantánamo North. The current defense bill now before Congress not only reinforces these restrictions but moves to mandate military detention for most future al Qaeda cases unless the president signs a waiver. The White House withdrew a veto threat on the eve of likely passage Wednesday, saying the latest language gives the executive enough wiggle room to avoid military custody.
Those of us who want progressive change get frustrated by the slow pace of it, but if that's all can be done, then I am happy someone is giving it their best. For instance, you wish for single payer healthcare, as I do (and it may still happen), but that doesn't stop me from appreciating what was achieved (I am thrilled about the preexisting conditions element).

But I also believe the best changes are still to come, changes that will occur from what's being set up now. Same with Hillary. Critics are ready to judge her for lack of home run hits, but I see her grueling work pace as what a professional does who works hard at what she can do, and doesn't despair over what she can't.

The great advantage of slow, gradual change is that it gives growth time to extend deep roots, and so is more likely to last and serve future generations. IMO, we need to have a 20 year vision, not 4 or 8, if we hope for significant change. Therefore: Hillary, 2016—2024!

12-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I am well aware of the irony.. but here we are dealing w/ ONE CAPITAL letter.. and making mountains out of it.. So what even IF it's a political statement of some sort...

Here.. Insult me for spelling it parallax..............
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am well aware of the irony.. but here we are dealing w/ ONE CAPITAL letter.. and making mountains out of it.. So what even IF it's a political statement of some sort...

Here.. Insult me for spelling it parallax..............
I really enjoy internet tough guys.
12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I am well aware of the irony.. but here we are dealing w/ ONE CAPITAL letter.
I would completely agree with you, if it were ONE CAPITAL letter in ONE post. As far as it being a political statement; well, this is the P&R forum so he's more than welcome to do so. Just as other members are welcome to ask him a question regarding his posts.
It can't be okay for him to make a political statement, but not okay for another to ask him about it, now can it? Once yet again, Jeff; make up your mind. Do people have a right to express themselves here, or don't they?
I think all views have a right to be presented. (within the bounds of the forum rules, of course.)

Last edited by Parallax; 12-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Closed Thread