Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A majority is born

If a campaign on this issue really starts - much like the campaign that made gay marriage slowly lose it's 'evil' status - then we may see some real progress in the legislative and legal fronts.

And I predict that the NRA may have seen it's zenith in American politics. It will still be a force, but will slowly lose it's air of invulnerability.

link --> and this day unto this earth a brand new majority was born.

12-19-2012, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Some would say all the more reason that laws should be made by cool heads away from the passion of an event. Passion has been used to drive this nation to war it has been used to curtail liberties before and now it may once again be used to curtail your rights under the Constitution.
12-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Some would say all the more reason that laws should be made by cool heads away from the passion of an event. Passion has been used to drive this nation to war it has been used to curtail liberties before and now it may once again be used to curtail your rights under the Constitution.
There's a balance to be met. We tend to 'forget' institutionally in this country as well, especially when there's lobbying and money involved.

That may not be the case this time.

12-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

And I predict that the NRA may have seen it's zenith in American politics. It will still be a force, but will slowly lose it's air of invulnerability.
You may be right.

12-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the tide probably has turned, but even as the numbers of people who want unfettered gun access dwindle, the anger and indignation of those that remain will increase. And they have guns! (Yikes!)
12-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

and this day unto this earth a brand new majority was born.
Actually if you look at the opinion of women, the majority has been there for a while. And as with many things, I am more inclined to trust women's instinct on this.
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You may be right.
I wouldn't count on it. Some of us are waiting until after the mourning for the children are over.

12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wouldn't count on it. Some of us are waiting until after the mourning for the children are over.
It seems in some quarters it is over already. Some folks have moved into full 'save our guns' mode. Quick mourning period, IMO.

(By the way, if you're responding to me in that other thread, it's a bit unfair, because I can't respond back as I've been locked out after someone apparently had a temper tantrum.)

12-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I think the tide probably has turned, but even as the numbers of people who want unfettered gun access dwindle, the anger and indignation of those that remain will increase. And they have guns! (Yikes!)

They're welcome to keep their legally-bought guns - we just don't want them to be able to buy new semiautomatic weapons with 30-round magazines anymore - for example. (and when I say 'we', I mean: The Majority.)
12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

It seems in some quarters it is over already. Some folks have moved into full 'save our guns' mode. Quick mourning period, IMO.

(By the way, if you're responding to me in that other thread, it's a bit unfair, because I can't respond back as I've been locked out after someone apparently had a temper tantrum.)

I don't think I responded to you in the other thread. Not many quarters have put the full court press on in D.C. like the Gun Ban Lobby, Feinstein, Bloomberg et al.

Edit: Oh, you posted that with your alter ego after the original thread ban.

Last edited by Blue; 12-19-2012 at 05:53 PM.
12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter

They're welcome to keep their legally-bought guns - we just don't want them to be able to buy new semiautomatic weapons with 30-round magazines anymore - for example. (and when I say 'we', I mean: The Majority.)
Like I said J., go put up a sign in your yard that says: "Gun free home." None of the Bans you are wishing for would make the cops get to the CT school any faster than they did. If had had a pump 12 gauge shotgun at 20 feet, the carnage would have been worse than 5.56 or 9mm. In 2011, there was 1 murder in CT with a rifle, 323 nationally, that all types of rifles.
12-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't think I responded to you in the other thread. Not many quarters have put the full court press on in D.C. like the Gun Ban Lobby, Feinstein, Bloomberg et al.
True, but they're doing it in an attempt to save lives, to try to lessen the possibility of this happening again and again, so easily. It's a consequence of mourning, to try to bring something rational and positive from it.

The gun lobby isn't acting out of mourning, or compassion, they're acting out of greed, and the ordinary-Joe NRA supporters they count on for foot-soldier work are (IMO) clinging to a meme of paranoia that this same gun lobby has cultured over the years.
12-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter

True, but they're doing it in an attempt to save lives, to try to lessen the possibility of this happening again and again, so easily. It's a consequence of mourning, to try to bring something rational and positive from it.

The gun lobby isn't acting out of mourning, or compassion, they're acting out of greed, and the ordinary-Joe NRA supporters they count on for foot-soldier work are (IMO) clinging to a meme of paranoia that this same gun lobby has cultured over the years.
The paranoia is mostly because of the gun ban crowd and lobby such as Feinstein et al. who is a corrupt Military-industrialist along with her husband at the tune of billions when she chaired a committee. Back to the point, the things you think will come out of it wouldn't have changed the situation. If the mom had a 12-gauge pump gun and a .357 magnum revolver, it wouldn't have mattered. It may change the tools around.

The fact is that 1st Feinstein wants to ban semi-auto rifles. Then Glocks, then all other semi-auto pistols. Then what? Big bore revolvers and shotguns? That is also the only purpose of broad scale registration is for collection purposes, a la NYC. That is what NYC did, forced registration of semi-auto rifles in the 60s. In the early 90s they made the owners turn them in or told them to leave the city with them.
12-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

With each event of this nature, the NRA weathers it and often gets stronger. Therefore, I predict you will be wrong. I was going to say dead wrong but...
12-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
With each event of this nature, the NRA weathers it and often gets stronger. Therefore, I predict you will be wrong. I was going to say dead wrong but...
The pacifists only seem to be aware of the NRA-ILA which arose mostly in the 70s due to the gun ban lobby. However, its primary missions and goals were and are about:

Training,

Law Enforcement Services including Certified Training to provide Certified Law Enforcement trainers and also organize LEO competitions including Tactical Competitions.

Hunting Services
Youth Programs
Women's Services
Range Services
Competitive Shooting Division