Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See your images on the big screen

After 2 years of off and on trying to figure out a painless way to get my music and images to the widescreen TV and sound system, I stumbled onto the solution. Using the TV jpg viewer and a USB stick didn't work because the images were not full screen. The full size jpgs load a little slower than I would like so I suspect the TV processor is the holdup since natively it down-sized the images.

If you have a Roku or probably just an internet ready TV you can stream them from your computer to the router and back to the Roku where on my 42" Toshiba they are presented full screen. Looking at the vacation pictures I finally understand why older folks did slides. That little old cheap k-2000 took some stunning pictures when you blow them up.

You need a Roku, a simple web server (Moongoose is free) and Roksbox which is a private channel app (one time $12.50 reg fee after 30 day free trial).

12-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
sounds complicated....
Isn't there a more simple way
12-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
sounds complicated....
Isn't there a more simple way
AppleTV
12-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the Roku or your internet ready TV will stream your photostream from Flickr. But, do you want all your images there.

BTW, resizing to the native resolution of the TV dramatically decrease the load time. Since Flickr loads faster I am going to check and see what the bulk of my images are there. If and when I find an optimal resolution I will add to this post.

BTW2, my son who told me I was making a mistake with the Roku and that I should have bought Apple TV bought a Roku after he found out that there are a lot more providers for it than there are for the Apple product. I suspect the Apple is gathering dust now.

12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
BTW2, my son who told me I was making a mistake with the Roku and that I should have bought Apple TV bought a Roku after he found out that there are a lot more providers for it than there are for the Apple product. I suspect the Apple is gathering dust now.
Providers for what exactly? And how many do you need?

Apple - Apple TV - iTunes, Netflix, and live sports on your HDTV.
12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Providers for what exactly? And how many do you need?

Zero experience with Apple. With the Roku box you have to add an applet, called a channel. Flickr is a channel but if you want to stream from your personal computer to your Roku and then the TV you have to add a private channel. It sounds complicated. It is really quite simple. There are several different providers. You only need one. Finding the one that "fits" you the best may take a little digging.

As I am in the process of building a new desktop, I would rather play now on the old hard drive that I am going to wipe. If I screw something up it won't haunt me for years.
12-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My full sized jpegs show up as full screen images when I burn them to a CD and play it on my Vizeo Blue Ray player which is hooked to my 1080p HDTV. I haven't tried to stream directly from my computer but I get full screen images viewing from the CD. I don't know why the images would be less than full screen unless they are too small to begin with. My Picasa streams are a little less but I down size to 1000 x 1000 before I upload.

12-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can see where the blue ray would work. I imagine any DVD player would as long as it had a built in viewer. I don't currently have one connected for video. This TV has scads of HDMI ports but the color stream and composite is shared (either or) and I needed it for an old TIVO. If I get tired of streaming movies I may break down and buy a player with HDMI.
12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

I stream or transfer it from my laptop to the PS3 over my router.