Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
question is, does it uses the system resources more efficiently (physical RAM and VM) ? also if it eats up 50GB of disk space ?

12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Like it or not, tablets are here to stay and soon, the traditional laptop as we know it today will disappear. Keyboards aren't going to go away but touch screens are going to be everywhere.
I'm not so sure about the laptops until a tablet can do real projection dispaly and number crunching - even just simple data entry.. Second-career guy in my office who retired from HP has a case for his iPad that doubles as a real (if tiny) keyboard. He NEVER types on the screen and rarely touches it.

Right now a tablet is a bigger Twitter-checker.
12-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm not sure it means anything or does it?

Newegg featured windows 7 in the main photo of their after Christmas email.
12-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I'm not sure it means anything or does it?

Newegg featured windows 7 in the main photo of their after Christmas email.
I escalated my complaint about Win8 on my new desktop for the office and the response was - sorry, we're getting a lot of business complaints or they're simply requesting Win7 instead.

12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After using it since the developer preview, and installing it on my daughters laptop (she's 10), I really can't comprehend the issues. The desktop is still there. All the standard windows functions are there, albeit moved around in some cases, but pretty much every new version of windows has had this issue. Any software, hardware, and use cases I have thrown at 8 has worked just fine. I am getting accustomed to the modern UI or whatever they call it (I'll still use metro), as everything I need to know about is live and updated in one screen.

The other thing I like is that the main screen is useful, rather than a dumping ground for apps, shortcuts and files that no one knows what they are. I do computer service on the side and 80% of the systems I fix have their desktop FILLED with links that don't work, files they don't understand, shortcuts to multiple versions of software that don't exist OR files they do need that get deleted because people don't know how to save files, or where to save them. A simplification of the user interface is LONG overdue. People keep saying they are upset that the desktop is gone. I say GOOD RIDDANCE! Its long overdue, along with getting rid of over 20 YEARS of legacy support that does nothing but slow down the system and make it harder to implement a modern, secure architecture.

As far as businesses are concerned, I would think it would be a welcome addition, as instead of teaching people how to navigate multiple levels of menus to find an application, its right on the desktop, right in front of them. Implement a tile for the apps that the users are to use, and lock down everything else.

Let the arrows begin to fly...
12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
After using it since the developer preview, and installing it on my daughters laptop (she's 10), I really can't comprehend the issues. The desktop is still there. All the standard windows functions are there, albeit moved around in some cases, but pretty much every new version of windows has had this issue. Any software, hardware, and use cases I have thrown at 8 has worked just fine. I am getting accustomed to the modern UI or whatever they call it (I'll still use metro), as everything I need to know about is live and updated in one screen.

The other thing I like is that the main screen is useful, rather than a dumping ground for apps, shortcuts and files that no one knows what they are. I do computer service on the side and 80% of the systems I fix have their desktop FILLED with links that don't work, files they don't understand, shortcuts to multiple versions of software that don't exist OR files they do need that get deleted because people don't know how to save files, or where to save them. A simplification of the user interface is LONG overdue. People keep saying they are upset that the desktop is gone. I say GOOD RIDDANCE! Its long overdue, along with getting rid of over 20 YEARS of legacy support that does nothing but slow down the system and make it harder to implement a modern, secure architecture.

As far as businesses are concerned, I would think it would be a welcome addition, as instead of teaching people how to navigate multiple levels of menus to find an application, its right on the desktop, right in front of them. Implement a tile for the apps that the users are to use, and lock down everything else.

Let the arrows begin to fly...
Glad you like it. As for businesses - look at their reactions, they're not buying it. Newegg has 8 for $29 but you can get a BNIB Win7 Premier for $99 or Business Premier for $149 (and a $25 discount this weekend). So, why? Because as I said the idea that its a social media consumption tool is NOT something as a business owner I want on my employees desktop. Nor do I like that they force streaming video to be there OR you can delete the entire App, no choice to simply hide it. As for streamlining the system - when has Microsoft EVER managed to do that in reality? They are the masters of bloated code.
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As for streamlining the system - when has Microsoft EVER managed to do that in reality? They are the masters of bloated code.
One definition of an elephant is "a mouse designed by Microsoft".

12-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I've been using Win 7 on my desktop and am very used to it.
We got two matching laptops for the kids for Xmas, both with win 8 and I swear I feel like a dumbass trying understand what this crap is.
Give me 7 any day.
12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading this thread I decided to finally replace my nearly 7 year old XP machine that is slowly dying. I just ordered from the local shop a new one with i7 processor, 8GB ram, 240GB ssd primary drive, 1TB secondary, and Windows 7.
12-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
After reading this thread I decided to finally replace my nearly 7 year old XP machine that is slowly dying. I just ordered from the local shop a new one with i7 processor, 8GB ram, 240GB ssd primary drive, 1TB secondary, and Windows 7.
Sounds like a nice setup. The ssd drives are coming along nicely, I am test driving one as a back-up before I commit to having it as a primary myself. Win7 is a solid performer and will not tax your patience moving from the XP machine. I still have 2 netbooks running XP and they are fine machines but everything else has migrated to 7 and we're debating what new computers with Win7 we need to order soon as well.
12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm in the market to upgrade one of my laptops and I tried a Win-8 laptop at the store... what a horrible mashup!

The sad thing is that there are fewer and fewer top end machines available with Win-7 in stores...

I guess it's time to start investigating Mac OS laptops... (I wish they weren't so bloody expensive!)

Pat
12-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes you wonder how much the Windows 8 developers were paid under the table by Mac, doesn't it?
12-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes you wonder how much the Windows 8 developers were paid under the table by Mac, doesn't it?
M$ is more than capable of shooting themselves in the foot without any bribes from Apple. This is the guy in charge...

12-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Microsoft has never needed anyone else to "contribute" to them messing up in spectacular ways. MS Vista. MS Millennium Edition. Each of their animated assistants - the paperclip, the dog, etc.
01-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Microsoft has never needed anyone else to "contribute" to them messing up in spectacular ways. MS Vista. MS Millennium Edition. Each of their animated assistants - the paperclip, the dog, etc.
I really like the MS Word kitty

They only get every other one right.XP - Still going strong
...7 - Slightly better than XP
We need a new home computer. Some of my work computers have 7 but others have XP. I'm wondering what you get when you buy something that has "Windows 7 with XP mode installed". If I could get a new puter that just carries on with XP, I'd probably be happy.