Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wasn't NT what MS took away from the failed joint OS development project with IBM that created OS/2? I actually ran OS/2 on a few machines in the 90's. NT was rock-stable. I was really sad to lose support for NT. I upped my older machines to XP Pro SP2 while I still could and everything new to Win7-64. Not planning to use Win8 anywhere.

My company just upgraded 62,000 desktops from XP Pro to Win7-64 (really cool centralized upgrade). I don't think they'll change, either.
NT was intended as a follow on to OS/2 (Window$ NT was originally called NT OS/2). M$ abandoned OS/2 when Window$ 3 began to sell in 1990. The roots of the breakup date back to 1988 when M$ hired Dave Cutler from DEC. He thought that OS/2 was just "DOS plus". It has also been pointed out that WNT is just VMS incremented by 1 letter.

01-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally got back to this thread and looked at the responses. I still don't see what the issues are and the more I use it, the more it seems like people haven't used it for more than the 5 minutes at the store.

They say its a social media platform - but I don't see that. You install the apps on the start screen you want users to use and away you go. If you don't want users to have access to things like pictures or facebook or whatever, just uninstall the programs and leave just the items they need on the start screen. From what I see in the field as a service tech, having a simplified start menu (what the start screen really is) is a good thing, as most people I deal with have a screen filled with their files, they don't know what they are, and all that confuses them even more than a full screen menu.

They say its changed the whole ui. Well, what you see is changed, yes, but all that is is a full screen start menu. If you work in the desktop, you can stay in the desktop. I migrated my server from WHS 1.0 to Windows 8 and the only thing I see is my desktop. I added my printers to the server and they connected easier than they did in 7. I installed an iprint driver for my iDevices so they can access the printers, grouped two drives to be redundant for backups (built into windows 8) and have my media files shared to my HTPC (it has 8 too, and the metro interface makes a KILLER set top box with each channel or service as a tile that updates with the latest epsisodes or whats currently playing scrolling across it!). The system/administrative tools included are better - better backup, better control panel.

Just as with any operating system, it can be whatever the user wants. If they want to make 8 behave like 7, it only takes a short time to make it so. I like the faster boot times, the smaller footprint and the cleaner look (I'm on 7 for work and 8 at home, and I can already see I like the look of 8 better). Although I wish there was a way to boot straight to the desktop from MS, its not that big of a deal. And removing items from the start screen is simple. All in all, I think people are just not wanting change. I agree with the others, 7 is a pretty good, solid OS. If you have no reason to change, other than a desire to be on the bleeding edge, don't. Since XP first came out over 11 years ago, its probably time to move on.
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
I finally got back to this thread and looked at the responses. I still don't see what the issues are and the more I use it, the more it seems like people haven't used it for more than the 5 minutes at the store.

They say its a social media platform - but I don't see that. You install the apps on the start screen you want users to use and away you go. If you don't want users to have access to things like pictures or facebook or whatever, just uninstall the programs and leave just the items they need on the start screen. From what I see in the field as a service tech, having a simplified start menu (what the start screen really is) is a good thing, as most people I deal with have a screen filled with their files, they don't know what they are, and all that confuses them even more than a full screen menu.

They say its changed the whole ui. Well, what you see is changed, yes, but all that is is a full screen start menu. If you work in the desktop, you can stay in the desktop. I migrated my server from WHS 1.0 to Windows 8 and the only thing I see is my desktop. I added my printers to the server and they connected easier than they did in 7. I installed an iprint driver for my iDevices so they can access the printers, grouped two drives to be redundant for backups (built into windows 8) and have my media files shared to my HTPC (it has 8 too, and the metro interface makes a KILLER set top box with each channel or service as a tile that updates with the latest epsisodes or whats currently playing scrolling across it!). The system/administrative tools included are better - better backup, better control panel.

Just as with any operating system, it can be whatever the user wants. If they want to make 8 behave like 7, it only takes a short time to make it so. I like the faster boot times, the smaller footprint and the cleaner look (I'm on 7 for work and 8 at home, and I can already see I like the look of 8 better). Although I wish there was a way to boot straight to the desktop from MS, its not that big of a deal. And removing items from the start screen is simple. All in all, I think people are just not wanting change. I agree with the others, 7 is a pretty good, solid OS. If you have no reason to change, other than a desire to be on the bleeding edge, don't. Since XP first came out over 11 years ago, its probably time to move on.
I wonder if you could put a shortcut to Desktop in your Startup folder to go straight there on boot. I'm pretty sure the Startup folder still works like it used to. Might be worth a shot.
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Was using Win 8 preview for about a month on and off. Not any more. I absolutely hate Windows 8's jeckel and hyde interface.

01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #95
Veteran Member

MS must be getting cranky about the low sales figures. They're emailing the people who tried the beta and offering an upgrade at a rock bottom price. I doubt they'll read it but I wrote them back telling them I thought Win 8 was an unusable piece of garbage and that I would be keeping Win 7 and Win XP on the machines I had, that they couldn't pay ME to upgrade, lol. I'd love it if their CEO actually got that message and fixed the crappy thing but probably they'll just trash it...
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #96

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'd love it if their CEO actually got that message and fixed the crappy thing but probably they'll just trash it...
"their CEO"? - I am afraid your assumption is right. He wouldn't be reading your reply since he is busy with his day job as a circus clown, for which he probably gets paid by the competitors.
After seeing this guy I sometimes wonder if CEO also stands for Chief Exit (from business) Officer. If so, he seems to be quite capable for the job so far.
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In 1984 when we were all within spitting distance of 30 (on either side of the mark) we'd try anything new, and we'd like it better than whatever we had before.

Now that we're all within spitting distance of 60 (on either side of the mark) anything that wastes whatever time we have left learning to use something that might or might not work better than what we already have but certainly will work differently than what we already have is at least an object of scorn and derision, if not ourtight anger.

The ageing of the Baby Boom, owners of 80% of the disposable wealth and 60% of the disposable income in the world, is really bad news for any company that depends on sales of incremental upgrades to existing products.

Woe be to Microsoft - and super-woe be to Apple (unless they get iTV peer-fect the first time).

01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I played with Win8 again the other day, a little more extensively this time and my opinion hasn't changed. I don't like it.

The overall feeling of the OS is that they shoehorned a tablet OS onto a desktop, and it just feels wrong and very clunky.

My opinion is that MS really missed the boat with this one...

Pat
01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're old, and not hip.

Problem is, the hipsters will move on to something else just about the time a MSFT finally climbs aboard (can you say Samsung Galaxy, iPhone?)
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #100
Veteran Member

'Da yoof' are apparently abandoning iphone and going for Windows 8, because it's a better phone/tablet OS. This is a huge achievement for Microsoft, but it's a shame they totally overlooked the traditional desktop users.
01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
'Da yoof' are apparently abandoning iphone and going for Windows 8, because it's a better phone/tablet OS. This is a huge achievement for Microsoft, but it's a shame they totally overlooked the traditional desktop users.
I'll believe it when I see it. And by it I mean a Windows 8 phone and or tablet. Never seen one outside of a store. I do see a lot of Android phones though. Lots of cheapskates where I live. Hyundai is the number 1 selling car in CNY.
01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Well I don't have any yoof in my house any more - they're all over 21 (and under 30).

Over XMAS they were all home (with attachments in tow) and we counted up total Apple products in use (not the dead white plastic laptop that won't allow iTunes to upgrade or the working but no longer used iPods) after presents were opened.

6 people.
22 Apple products in use (and I only have an iPhone).

That means 5 people have 21 - each has a
Mac
MacBook
iPhone
iPad (x2 in one case).

Not counting work/grad school supplied hardware.

So who ar 'Da Yoof'?
01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So who ar 'Da Yoof'?
'Da Yoof' exist entirely in the minds of Buzz Marketing Group.

Teenagers: Apple no longer cool, Microsoft Surface is in | Windows Phone Central

01-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Microsoft quarterly results reflect troubled PC market, middling Windows 8 launch
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. The central point for me was this quote:
"In a note to analysts on Friday morning, Um noted that the enterprise sector is still largely moving to Windows 7 — which surpassed Windows XP in install base last year — and that consumer demand for Windows 8 remains soft."