Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have read and read on this....and short of seeing a pig fly, I remain a total skeptic. I think that old lady in that Burger King commercial summed it up nicely.....Show me the beef!

Regards!
Living in TX maybe that skepticism is just natural....

QuoteQuote:
"Because the potential upside in the long term is the displacement of all fossil fuels, it would be such a boon for the human race to have such a dense, clean source of energy, that it's real easy to stay motivated on a project like this," he said.
"We know it's a risk, and we think the payback is potentially bigger than the risk, so that's why we're doing it," he said.

Hunt believes in the technology enough to invest more than half a million dollars annually into its research.
Hunt Utilities Group | Facebook
Hunt Utilities Group looks for new sources of sustainable energy | Minnesota in Photos | Minnesota Public Radio News

02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, not being from Texas, I guess I'm just a doubting Thomas....
02-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Could be? I'm not much on flying pigs, but don't discount the possibility given the great strides in biotechnology. Still, I have yet to see one, which keeps my skepticism justifiable.......Texas or not!

I was listening to a program yesterday about hydrogen fuel cells....something I do find valuable and readily possible with current technology. It looks to be on the near horizon, and although not a total cure for energy needs, it offers some real benefits over fossil fuels. You have an opinion on this? I'd be interested to know more.

Regards!
02-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote

Of course it is, just look at your last few governors.

02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I'm no fan of any of them, but that still won't produce a flying pig.
Regards!
02-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Re: H2 fuel cells.........

BloomBox poised to make distributed, cleaner power materialize

Who knows, I've been concentrating on following LENR more than any of the other alternative fuels.. most are not economical.
QuoteQuote:
Bloom Energy, is set to publicly launch their technology on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010. Inventor and CEO, K.R. Sridhar, broke the longstanding silence of his company Sunday, Feb. 21, by doing an exclusive interview with 60 Minutes.
Thoughts on H2 in cars...some of the comments are worth reading
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/whatever-happened-to-hydrogen-fuel-cells/

blast from the past.. and always reminds me of the foibles of society......
Matt Rogerson 18 Jul 2009 at 10:36 am

QuoteQuote:
Lets not forget that VHS wasn’t better (it fact its worse) then Betmax it was just more popular! maybe public opinion will play into which car wins this race

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-11-2013 at 06:55 AM.
02-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Please keep this discussion on the technology, not the politics.

Mike
PF Moderation Team

02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Flying pigs are still OK?

Regards!
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Flying pigs are still OK?

Regards!
I think you are still referring to those governors. C'mon people, lets focus here.
02-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Rupert
All the new German submarines can run on hydrogen fuel cells (combined fuelcell/diesel/battery). They produce much less noise, in fact nearly none at all. In tests (as German newpapers told) they were able to run undetected all through an US carrier formation, in one case coming as near as 30m to a nuclear powered hunter sub.

All our car manufacturers are running test cars with that technology since years. Actually, it seems they would still be too expensive, and someone would have to pay for the needed infrastructure (fuel stations).

I am sure it will be widely used not very far in the future. In my country, I think it will be introduced as soon as we have switched to more than 50-60% renewable energy. As it is now, it doesn't make much sense to convert oil/gaz energy to make it usable for fuel cells. This will change.
02-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I think you are still referring to those governors. C'mon people, lets focus here.
Not at all, I was referring to flying pigs? Ever seen one? Me neither, they are sort of like cold fusion, talked about but not seen in reality. Someone else brought up governors, not me.......I guess pigs gave them the thought?

RKK....The program I listened to was very interesting, and promised a slew of hydrogen stations and available vehicles by 2016 for the US. Hard to know how much was reality and how much was hype?

Regards!
02-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Not at all, I was referring to flying pigs? Ever seen one? Me neither, they are sort of like cold fusion, talked about but not seen in reality. Someone else brought up governors, not me.......I guess pigs gave them the thought?

RKK....The program I listened to was very interesting, and promised a slew of hydrogen stations and available vehicles by 2016 for the US. Hard to know how much was reality and how much was hype?

Regards!

Well, RKK's right about the hydrogen matter: for fuel cell vehicles to really make sense, you've got to have a source of hydrogen that isn't burning fossil fuels to crack it. But you can use just about anything that makes electricity for that, and then the hydrogen's your energy storage. It's just a matter of infrastructure and actually putting up those alternative energy sources. But you can't both block the alternative energy infrastructure, call it 'hype,' not *do* it, and then wonder what's taking so long, there.

Similar thing with stuff like low-energy nuclear, except we haven't found out whether or not it will *work* in any practical way. Won't know till the science and engineering's done. Being 'skeptical' as in 'I don't believe in this' isn't really going to determine that. It's seemingly a little more like a lot of people are trying to invent the heavier-than-air flight thing: could be just a matter of coming up with a light enough engine and a means of control. People would look at a lot of attempts and go 'It can't be done' but how were they to know it wasn't just a matter of 'how can we do it.'
02-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Synopsis

Best I can find...
Evidence that LENR is real [Updated-2013-02-09] | LENR news
02-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #45

If it sounds too good....

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If the inventors are wishing to sell it off before the technology is proved, like the Rossi-E system, scepticism is called for. Could spend billions for nothing. Anyway, the big power companies who stand to lose everything would do whatever they could to torpedo it. Another unhappy group would be the greenies...

Last edited by ihasa; 02-19-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Political...
Closed Thread