Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Happens IF Cold Fusion Does Become Reality?

Of course this is neither political nor religious.. but it would be remiss in not one last reminder here......

What Happens IF Cold Fusion Does Become Reality?

Nobody's ever happy.............

12-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Guess he's a glass half empty kind of guy!

I assume his presumption that devices will contain their own 'cold fusion generator', rather than having powerplants and an electrical grid system (like we have now) is false?
12-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an interesting subject and, as you said, not political or religious so I'm going to move it to GT.

What could possibly go wrong?
12-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Throughout history, new technology that can disrupt the current business model is generally met with strong opposition. Its safety will be challenged immediately, power companies will fight it tooth and nail. Laws will be passed on the state and local levels to ban private power generation by means of oppressive building codes and zoning laws. Eventually, it will win out as new technology always does but it will be a painful transition.

12-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like all major technological inventions, it will become a blessing and a curse at the same time.
12-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Throughout history, new technology that can disrupt the current business model is generally met with strong opposition. Its safety will be challenged immediately, power companies will fight it tooth and nail. Laws will be passed on the state and local levels to ban private power generation by means of oppressive building codes and zoning laws. Eventually, it will win out as new technology always does but it will be a painful transition.

Not to mention opposition by various environmental groups.
12-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I think the article's pretty much cooking up pessimistic figures and ignoring a lot of obvious things: like *assuming* just as much radioactive waste as nuclear plants produce, (big assumption) and also apparently *assuming* that there'd be seventy percent waste heat with which nothing useful could be done, all while claiming this would be added to the heat already generated and used by other means.

It's also assuming small individual household units while not considering how much less waste and inefficiency (and heat) would be produced by transmitting power over distance that way... (Also somehow seems to ignore the fact that units that small would by *no means* be producing 'waste heat' when it'd be tremendously easy to *use* that heat directly for things that'd otherwise both take electrical or other power *and* produce heat.

Directly generating that heat pretty much means you could directly heat and cool your house with it by very simple mechanisms, thus being a net *savings* all around while you get electricity as well.

The article's basically just trying to say that people should assume pessimistic assumptions about a new technology, while ignoring certain obvious benefits and efficiencies even in their own scenario. If you *had* a little cold fusion unit producing 'waste heat,' it'd be simplicity itself to.... oh, use that to heat the house, your hot water needs, and/or run a heat pump for cooling. Concentrated heat in a location it'd be used like that's pretty much inherently *useful.* Not waste.

12-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE:
Google Translate

QuoteQuote:
In closing my speech, I would like to send to your readers a message of optimism, in the full knowledge that in a few years we will be talking about the oil as a raw material for plastics and clothes! Closes definitely a huge circle from Greek mythology, with the adventure of the Titan Prometheus, who stole fire from the DEI in behalf of mankind, which emphasizes the timeless symbolism of the conflict between nature and development of "power" (theoi). Also emphasizes the great importance for the development of an equitable society and human culture, in sharp contrast with the privileges of oligarchs who sit on the global "OLYMPO."
Until the middle of last century, humanity drew chemical energy from the periphery of the atom (electron) rather than core. The combustion of wood and fossil fuels (oil, coal, etc..) Is the chemical way to produce energy, which is known to be at least a million times less than that contained in the atomic nucleus ... advice from so-called "researchers" of Defcalion to consider this distinction!
Only in the stars and the sun, where the physical conditions are free (gravity) is released (almost) spontaneously nuclear energy which, by induction on earth is exploited in several ways: synthesis of chlorophyll, wind, hydro, etc. .. . even the existence of minerals, oil and coal, originates from nuclear energy coming from the sun in the known geological periods.
At the end of World War II, with the prediction made ​​by Einstein (ΔΕ = Δm * C2), the man has been on Earth energy from nuclear fuel tank ... but to kill his neighbor (Hiroshima and Nagasaki)!
Has mitigated this curse the Italian Fermi, with the development of a technology that has allowed the peaceful use of nuclear energy, but not without problems (Chernobyl, Fukushima and nuclear waste ...).
Now the real possibility of extracting nuclear energy in a more friendly for people and the environment through the COLD FUSION
Over the past two years, the Cold Fusion has passed the experimental stage, with the contribution of those who quietly and persistently continued to investigate and work without extensive resources and moral incentives in order to get to the stage "revolutionary" for the applicability of scale industrial production of clean energy, unlimited and low cost. The responsibility is now shifted to science and proper enterprise for the good of mankind and to address the economic and environmental crisis.
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- December 27, 2012
Point:
QuoteQuote:
To my surprise now the responsible person at Vattenfall is here and tells that their hope is that

Cold Fusion could be a possible replacement for nuclear power.

I now become puzzled, is Vattenfall, number 5 on the list of European energy giants,

really fooled by circus illusions?

Or is there perhaps another angle to this story, physicists that actually think that the Rossi machine really works?
I go to visit the swedish physicists that visited Bologna and studied the italian device in action.

They actually claim it works.
Counterpoint:
Rossi Fools Swedish Public Television
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the show "The Outer Limits" gave this thought experiment some treatment:

Final Exam (The Outer Limits)
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the "tinkerers"

Universal LENR Reactor Manufacturing Specifications | LENR - COLD FUSION

for those near MIT:

IAP 2013 Activity: Cold Fusion 101: Introduction to Excess Power in Fleischmann-Pons Experiments

asst:
LENR-to-Market Weekly -- January 3, 2013
01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bring it. I can do the ductwork.
01-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love it, but let's just say that I am skeptical about the possibility -- mainly because it has been talked about for years, worked on for years with pretty dismal results.
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would love it, but let's just say that I am skeptical about the possibility -- mainly because it has been talked about for years, worked on for years with pretty dismal results.
Really???

http://world.std.com/~mica/nanortechnology.htm
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
addendum:
Comments on: Friday Poll: Which prediction will most likely come true?

QuoteQuote:
All point to one fact: The world is about to change.
01-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This is all very interesting to me, a non-tech person that knows little of modern science, but plenty about snake oil. So which is it? You guys can tell me, I won't tell another soul, promise!

If this is real, and you can get out more energy than you put in, is there hope that I may actually put money in my bank and at some point get out more than I put in? That would be a real story, one that even a snake oil salesman would find astonishing!
Regards!
Closed Thread