Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A Big Thanks To Codiac2600

A while back i stumbled across his little how to vids on bar and night club photography. I enjoyed them then and last night i got to try out some of what i learned.

Yesterday morning i had a friend show up to invite me to her 18th and because i didnt feel like drinking, i took the camera along with me. Had the 20D, 10-20 and a 430ex on an off shoe cord. I found 10mm was way too wide so around 14mm worked nicely, wished there had been a bit more ambient lighting but it was a back yard thing.

I was quite happy with what i came away with and without Codiacs videos, i wouldnt have known where to even start.

Anyways, here are some i got.

Thanks again for your how to's

02-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work. Fantastic results. Were the second shots trailing sync.? What settings did you use?

Cheers.

Only one criticism, what kind of Australian says he 'didn't feel like drinking'? Hahaha.
02-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Mine main question is - did the bouncers use Vaseline after they saw you try to get into the club with a camera? Or was it "prison-style"?
02-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Great work. Fantastic results. Were the second shots trailing sync.? What settings did you use?

Cheers.
Thanks.

It was something like 1/4 sec shutter and f6.3 or something around there with the flash at 1/4 power. First curtain sync i think. Just spun the camera after i hit the button.

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Only one criticism, what kind of Australian says he 'didn't feel like drinking'? Hahaha.
Im broke and had to get up at 6 to out taking these photos this morning hahaha

02-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Mine main question is - did the bouncers use Vaseline after they saw you try to get into the club with a camera? Or was it "prison-style"?
Heh, nah it was all good. Just a little backyard 18th birthday party of a friend. Avoided anything nasty this time
02-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Had the 20D,
Interesting....

I didn't know that any of the 20Ds were already out.
02-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I too, should thank Chris. I used this method last night as well for my schools winterfest dance. I shot at 1/4s a f4 with the flash in my hand a 1/16power. Since I didnt have an off-camera cord or slaves so I had to fire it off with the test button sometime in the exposure. You can see them in the thread, herehttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/20944-2008-winterfest-da...era-flash.html
Here are two of my favorite.

02-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
A while back i stumbled across his little how to vids on bar and night club photography. [...]
Anyways, here are some i got.
Great shots, -spam-. I really enjoy them.

One remark, though. With regard to Codiacs video, I would say that you still use a little bit too much light from the flash and too little ambient light, i.e., maybe, you have to power down the flash even further and increase aperture. I'm curious myself if this would improve even further
02-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Interesting....

I didn't know that any of the 20Ds were already out.
Canon 20D

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Great shots, -spam-. I really enjoy them.

One remark, though. With regard to Codiacs video, I would say that you still use a little bit too much light from the flash and too little ambient light, i.e., maybe, you have to power down the flash even further and increase aperture. I'm curious myself if this would improve even further
Thanks. I tried that, but the only ambient light was coming from from two little lights with gells and 2 neon strips. If there had have been more of it to get, i would have tried so i went with what i had.
02-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Awww..... I feel loved

Thanks for the props guys and you deserve some praise for going out and trying it, plus you did it successfully!

BTW, new blog up with info on water droplets including setup and video! Photography 2.0 <---- click here for video
02-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is just one example of the fine support we get here from the forum's mods and Adam, too. Thanks, every one of you!
02-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
This is just one example of the fine support we get here from the forum's mods and Adam, too. Thanks, every one of you!
I would like to second that. I do not post very often, but very much appreciate the tips and training I find here.
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #13

Awesome shots there! I've been using a variant of Codiac2600's technique to grab shots of the local raver crowd in my home town. Not quite a nightclub setting as such, but darn close enough.

Couple of quick comments on your shots -spam-, starting with that lovely bunch of ladies.

In this shot I'm guessing that you held the flash directly underneath yourself and shot upwards to create the effect? I'm really picky with shadows so I'd say that the girl with the drink in the middle could have held that a bit lower. I like the angle that you've shot at - filled the frame from the top with the girl on the far right in the tan dress. You did cut a bit of her arse off though, and compared to everyone else she seems to be a lot taller/cramped up in that top corner all by herself.

Otherwise a perfect shot. The best of the examples you've shown in my opinion. I literally said 'wow' when I first saw it.

For the next shot - blue shirt guy and smirnoff girl. Firstly, I'd change the orientation of the shot from horizontal to vertical. There's only two people in the shot and the railing behind doesn't really add much to the overall image. Try going horizontal, getting in close and still keep the lighting effect in use. You've caught the highlights in both of your subject's eyes - perfect exposure and focus! That's exactly what you aim for. I'm guessing she's the birthday girl?

2 girls 1 mobile (HA!) - again, effective use of offcamera flash has given you a different lighting effect. I can't help but pick up on those trails in the background - if you're going to include trails, make sure they stand out. In a backyard setting there's not much call for fancy, jazzy effects that you might get from a laser, bar lighting or spotlights. Skin tones are a little white and my first guess is that you held the flash out in front of you or a little too close to the subject. That's my opinion anyway, no doubt the girls loved the shot :P

Balloons and red dress - good, I like the subject interaction. Endless shots of people cuddled together with half smiling faces get boring after a while. You've caught the highlights in the beer guy's eyes again, so well done with that. From the reflection on the balloons and the white/grey shit my first impression is that the shot is a little blown out or the flash is just a little too powerful. You've got a bit of a contrast between your two subjects, your animated girl and the guy that's just standing there looking fairly deadpan.

I notice you're based out of Brisbane? Have you thought about taking your style out into the nightclubs? Does 'ocau' mean anything to you?

To give you a bit of an idea of what I've done using Codiac2600's tips, here's a couple of examples:

(apologies for the watermarks)

Last edited by axlimaging; 11-11-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: duplicates
11-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AXL, your time lapsed shots worked well.
Well done with those.
The others are a little flat with a little too much of the ambient lighting coming through.
Hope Chris is doing alright nowadays...
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
AXL, your time lapsed shots worked well.
Well done with those.
The others are a little flat with a little too much of the ambient lighting coming through.
Hope Chris is doing alright nowadays...
I'd love to be able to get more ambient light to show through - still not able to get it quite right.

Last edited by axlimaging; 11-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.