Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Think We Might Just Move Now...

I'm still shaking like a leaf in a royal guster as I type. Some maniac jacked up on chemicals of some sort just attacked me in the parking lot of my local post office branch. Apparently he took exception to the fact that I ignored him at a light when he wanted me to make a L turn against the light and some major traffic. He followed me into the parking lot of the PO, jumped out of his truck and proceeded to pound the hood of my car with his fists. He was swearing at me, nearly much foaming at the mouth. It was like I was in a bad horror movie and he was possessed. He just did not even look human...

He had two big dogs in the back of his cab too so the situation looked very dangerous to me. I hauled out my stick and my phone and emergency dialed 911 but before I could even connect two guys came running out from the PO a security guy and another postal guy and they hauled him off my hood. For a second I was pretty scared that they'd get nailed by the dogs but it turns out they were chained in the cab so all they could do was bark and look mean.

In the end the cops came and took him away and all. I had to give a statement but I doubt I'll have to show up to say anything. He was so jacked up on some kind of drug that his eyes were all bloodshot and freaky. He apparently reeked of alcohol besides. It was mid afternoon. Broad daylight and all I did was go to the darn post office to mail out a bill! I won't mention the "g" word and I also will ask you not to because I don't want this to become some kind of P&R thread that will only get closed the second someone goes there. It's just not about that, okay? I just wanted to sit here and type and basically feel glad about being alive for a minute, because today I might not have walked out of that situation being that way.

Moral of the story? No one, nowhere, no time is "safe" anymore. Just keep your heads up, be careful, stay alert, because what happened to me today it could just as easily happened to any one of you. Have a back up plan, carry a phone, do what you have to do, but be prepared...

I'm a bit sick to my stomach...I'm going off for a while now....Ugh....

Last edited by magkelly; 12-27-2012 at 03:51 PM.
12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hope you feel better tomorrow. There are weird people everywhere and we can't always avoid them, that's just the way it is. It sounds like you were lucky there were some people nearby to intervene.
12-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes this shows there are nutters out there (although I've yet to have an experience remotely like yours!), but it also shows there are still plenty of people out there willing to drop everything and risk their own safety to help someone in need.
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like you were in the wrong place when this guy flipped out. The good part is he was nabbed in the parking lot and didn't kill anybody on the road. Glad you are OK magkelly.

12-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, I'm glad you weren't hurt. I can also understand how you feel right at this moment, so soon after the incident. But keep in mind that society as always had it's share of crazies - in virtually all locations. So, unless moving is something that makes sense in most areas of your life plan, I wouldn't relocate because of this. Being prepared to defend yourself has always been a good idea - even back when people think life was like "It's a Wonderful Life." You can make a choice to not live in fear. The world has always been filled with beauty, warmth, joy, ugliness, danger and fear. It's how you respond to those things that makes a difference. I sincerely hope you'll get past this soon.
12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, it's just a general thing and kind of a last straw. This place has gone from being a sleepy town with nothing but retirees and snowbirds to being more like a big city in the past few years.Too much crime all over and my family has seen several situations that could have gone really bad. I'm just ready to move...
12-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds scary, glad you are ok.

At least, statistically speaking, you shouldn't be meeting any more crazies for a while now

12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sure hope not. I've had my fill for a long, long while, laugh. I feel weird still. I think all the adrenalin made me a bit ill earlier and it's not quite worn off as yet. I'm jumpy and I still feel a little green. I don't want to be afraid to leave my own house but I'm likely to stick close to home for a few days I think. I still feel I don't know, disconcerted?
12-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you're OK and that some good guys came to your aid.
12-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Aikido - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the right instructor and you might be able to trade photos for lessons .
12-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When you have experiences like this, the best you can do is go on with your life and get back out. It might be hard at first, but its probably necessary in order to regain a general sense of safety. Of course, you can take any precautions you wish.
12-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....but where ?

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Nah, it's just a general thing and kind of a last straw. This place has gone from being a sleepy town with nothing but retirees and snowbirds to being more like a big city in the past few years.Too much crime all over and my family has seen several situations that could have gone really bad. I'm just ready to move...
I feel for you. Society has plumbed the depths of behaviour and standards and weak law enforcement through the courts has encouraged this sort of thing to become the "norm". I point the finger at drugs as the wrecker of society as we once knew it.

We too are looking at moving, not for your reasons, but simple homesickness, and I am very aware that we need to be very careful not to leap out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Good luck, hope you find your place of serenity.
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Aikido - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the right instructor and you might be able to trade photos for lessons .

Why do you think I have a stick? :P
12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry about your experience. Speaking softly and carrying a big one is always a good plan.
12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Society has plumbed the depths of behaviour and standards and weak law enforcement through the courts has encouraged this sort of thing to become the "norm". I point the finger at drugs as the wrecker of society as we once knew it..
Steven Pinker recently wrote a book and concluded that, as a whole, humans are becoming less violent.