Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

If you were going to escape...

Its almost the end of 2012 and the Mayans were all wrong.

However here is my situation... I would be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it...or offer up what their plans just may (or may not) be...

In the past when we had a normal economy I was able to go do a lot of fun things... but ever since the economy crashed I had to come back home... a number of factors led me to 'settle in' a little bit...but truth be told I am getting very burnt out on my job.

My boss is extremely mean. She is generally not kind at all, especially to me. I am in a high stress high pressure job so I am going 90mph all the time... its just getting too much. I have been at the job about 3 years and its been dull and busy all at the same time. Cut backs cut our staff but our individual work loads actually tripled....I am on the road so much its just too much.

I went 9 months straight where I was home 1 or 2 days a week. Then I got a few days off and then I went another 9 months of doing the same thing. The rest of the time I live in hotels. If i was going to some fun places it would be fine, but its not like that. And when I do go often I am putting in 12-16 hour days sometimes...do that for 3 years straight and it takes a toll.

Its also definitely had a major influence over my social life...or lack thereof. Dating and all that... non existent.

Long story short I am fortunate to have a job yes... but on the other hand the toll its taking on me is just overwhelming. In 2013 I want to make a big change but I am not sure exactly what to do.

I despise job hunting like no other. I have considered quitting and going to some 3rd world country for a year or two if I could swing it... I am just wanting to do something different. If I was assured to get a job when I got back then that is not so bad... but I am really not for sure what direction I should go....

If you were in my shoes what do you do? Take off to the South Pacific and lounge for a year? Go to South America and lounge and hang out... taking photos and such...try to get a new job in a place that I really don't want to live in....I am really not sure...

I would like to hear people's thoughts...

12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
The main thing about leaving the country on a long term basis is that… With most passports (unless one goes through the costly and timely process of attempting dual citizenship), that there is an actual time limit on the amount of time one spends overseas. In most cases one basically must return about twice a year - unless there are unusual circumstances. Sure their are ways to get waivers around this, but best of luck with that one.

The only easy exemptions are for (some) students, people with a religious passport, peace corps, active military and contractors
12-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can relate. Money is one of those things. I hate it and I wish I didn't need it, but it pays for the things that make life worthwhile. Half my life is over and throughout it, I have balanced money with personal satisfaction. Lately - in the last 5 years - I have dead ended with a job and manager that I hate. My husband too. I'm in the biggest rut of my life and I've had enough of the "Rat Race". I'm willing to check out. Thankfully, my husband is finishing up his Ph.D. and while his job is dead ended now, within a few weeks he will accept a new position that will generate satisfaction for him, and hopefully the escape for me. I'm done with being an educated woman in a technical field where thousands of folks from India compete with me and invalidate me continually. I'm throwing in the towel at the earliest time I can. I have banged my head against the glass ceiling enough, and it's time to surrender to less paying things that play into my creative side.

Now before people say things like "She's taking the gender parachute" and falling into a "kept woman", realize that I too did the travel, living out of hotels and being away from relationships. I did everything to work my career. No kids as a result, and marriage late in life.

Now, my rut has delivered 90 pounds of fat onto me, and it's time I returned to my passion and got off the treadmill.

So thats' my thoughts Alamo. If you can get off the treadmill and keep food on the table - and a new Pentax in your hands - then do it. Just don't forget about retirement and the other things because in the U.S.A. we don't really care about the elderly as they do in Europe.

One day I hope to retire to the UK, keep my English Heritage/Nation Trust current and visit the places I love when I am *really* old and decrepit.
12-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would if I could find a way to go while you can still do it if that's what you want. I've always had a good case of wanderlust. If I could afford it I'd probably pack a bag and spend the rest of my life wandering from one new place to another taking pics. Health-wise that's kind of a pipe dream these days though. Life has a habit of grounding you when you least expect it. If you can swing it then GO. You can always find another job, another difficult boss, but you may not always be able to handle the travel so go while you can.

12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am very familiar with the living abroad thing. I will either need to get a work visa to stay in X country or go for a visa run every so often.

In my last job before this one I was my own boss, I lived in Asia and had the time of my life. I went to 15 countries just having a good time.

I am no amateur when it comes to international travels...I have been all over the place. I could go get a crap job teaching somewhere...but that is a rat race in and of itself and to be honest I kind of overdosed on Asia so I want something different.

Here is my super top secret possibility of a plan... American Samoa. I went to college in Hawaii and I have always been in love with Polynesia. One way it will cost me $800 to get from here to there if I go in the summer. From American Samoa I can go to all the other islands as money permits. In American Samoa because its an American territory I don't need a visa or a work permit or anything. I can stay as long as I want. If I need to I can fly to Honolulu.

I have it all thought out and I can most likely get away for at minimum a year... I am not sure of the cost of living but I can do a year no problems.

Now here is my concern... I had a lot of hard labor and work to get ahead but if I just haul off and go and have no income and just live off savings when I come back I will have nothing. If I can somehow find a way to support myself though, I can come back with experience and not be any worse off except a year or two older. And maybe I might meet a girl (maybe) somewhere in the process. I am sure not meeting anyone here.... that is for 110% definite.

But the experience I think would be great. I could wander around the island(s) and maybe even fly over to tahiti and check out the billabong pro
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got the whole thing planned out but I always talk myself out of going. I think stuff through TOO MUCH... I have always done this...

I will take my camera and just go take photos and have a good time....
12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm more European inclined. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years thanks to Uncle Sam years ago. Japan was cool (Pentax galore!) as were some of the lesser known islands in the south pacific.
My favorites places are in Sweden (Goteborg), Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Of course the UK is my all time favorite. I could definitely see myself traveling between those countries so that I don't wear my visa out. Besides, I'm a cold weather person and I love the seasons. The south pacific will be beach weather and the tropics. Europe has so much to photograph. If you have your heart set on the south pacific, I hear New Zealand is a great place.

12-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'm more European inclined. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years thanks to Uncle Sam years ago. Japan was cool (Pentax galore!) as were some of the lesser known islands in the south pacific.
My favorites places are in Sweden (Goteborg), Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Of course the UK is my all time favorite. I could definitely see myself traveling between those countries so that I don't wear my visa out. Besides, I'm a cold weather person and I love the seasons. The south pacific will be beach weather and the tropics. Europe has so much to photograph. If you have your heart set on the south pacific, I hear New Zealand is a great place.
I lived in NZ for a while. Its great. I LOVE NZ. I have been all around the North and South Island. If I had to settle down in one city forever it would be somewhere around Wellington.

I would like to go to Europe but that is just flat out expensive per my goal which is to leave and make my money last a long time.

I love the tropics. I have lived in the snow before but for me its great to visit but I don't know about living in the stuff anymore... well if I live at a ski resort thats different.... or if I was up in Europe somewhere that would be good too...it would be a fresh experience... but snow just for snow....not sure about that....
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I can find some friends around Europe that will let me couch surf for free then I could do that... there's an idea. I would love to romp around Europe...
12-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Its almost the end of 2012 and the Mayans were all wrong.

However here is my situation... I would be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it...or offer up what their plans just may (or may not) be...

In the past when we had a normal economy I was able to go do a lot of fun things... but ever since the economy crashed I had to come back home... a number of factors led me to 'settle in' a little bit...but truth be told I am getting very burnt out on my job.

My boss is extremely mean. She is generally not kind at all, especially to me. I am in a high stress high pressure job so I am going 90mph all the time... its just getting too much. I have been at the job about 3 years and its been dull and busy all at the same time. Cut backs cut our staff but our individual work loads actually tripled....I am on the road so much its just too much.

I went 9 months straight where I was home 1 or 2 days a week. Then I got a few days off and then I went another 9 months of doing the same thing. The rest of the time I live in hotels. If i was going to some fun places it would be fine, but its not like that. And when I do go often I am putting in 12-16 hour days sometimes...do that for 3 years straight and it takes a toll.

Its also definitely had a major influence over my social life...or lack thereof. Dating and all that... non existent.

Long story short I am fortunate to have a job yes... but on the other hand the toll its taking on me is just overwhelming. In 2013 I want to make a big change but I am not sure exactly what to do.

I despise job hunting like no other. I have considered quitting and going to some 3rd world country for a year or two if I could swing it... I am just wanting to do something different. If I was assured to get a job when I got back then that is not so bad... but I am really not for sure what direction I should go....

If you were in my shoes what do you do? Take off to the South Pacific and lounge for a year? Go to South America and lounge and hang out... taking photos and such...try to get a new job in a place that I really don't want to live in....I am really not sure...

I would like to hear people's thoughts...
Look around for a new job, right away! Send out resumes to the places where you would love to work. Get help for a great resume.

Once it gets to that point where even the boss is awful - it will never get better.

Meanwhile, take a holiday. Go south for 2 weeks ASAP.

Wishing you well in 2013.
Liz
12-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I should have an internet fundraiser where everyone sends me $20 a month ... if I do that I will be golden as a goose. 50 or so people making repeat payments... and I would be good to go...

As far as the boss goes... you have no idea how bad the boss is. I won't go into it. But its been bad, really bad, for a really long time. Its not like she suddenly became bad... she is just horrible and downright mean.
12-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I must be missing something here. In the thread "How accurate is this stereotype" you talk about traveling since you were 10. At 19 you moved to Australia, China, Singapore and a bunch of other places.Lived in 7 countries and visited as a kid 70 or more and as an adult at least 30 if not more. And then you go on to say" but yes there are a lot of people in the US that get caught up in their little rat race world and simply don't know any different"
So how is your situation any different from the people in the USA? Sounds like you got caught up in the same old rat race world. And now you start a thread asking us which direction you should go.
12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
...I would like to hear people's thoughts...
I think that you need to do something. I always tell younger people that they shouldn't stay in bad situations, nor should they leave good ones. Obviously you aren't in a good one. I also tell them that they shouldn't let their careers dominate their personal goals. Don't put personal plans on hold because of the promise of a new project in a current situation on the hopes that things will change for the better. It won't happen, and you will have wasted time and gotten more burned out.

Like you, I feel lucky to have work given the way that the world has been plundered and ruined over the past few years. The one thing that has made it all happen for me is networking. I was smart enough to stay in touch with colleagues and it is through them that I have been making a living. I think that they value my work ethic and expertise. Those were things that they had remembered about me from years past. Do you have a network of colleagues that you can bounce ideas off of?
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wayne james Quote
I must be missing something here. In the thread "How accurate is this stereotype" you talk about traveling since you were 10. At 19 you moved to Australia, China, Singapore and a bunch of other places.Lived in 7 countries and visited as a kid 70 or more and as an adult at least 30 if not more. And then you go on to say" but yes there are a lot of people in the US that get caught up in their little rat race world and simply don't know any different"
So how is your situation any different from the people in the USA? Sounds like you got caught up in the same old rat race world. And now you start a thread asking us which direction you should go.
You pretty much summed up the situation.

I had a lot of events that caused me to get into my situation... but for me going is not the problem. I have no problem calling right now saying I won't be in.... ever....

I am however making considerations that a year from now I might be flat broke without two nickels to rub together.

That's life. Just because I have gone places doesn't mean I am scared to up and go... I am just throwing it out there for discussion's sake... there are obviously things to consider... just quitting a job and going somewhere isn't the same as what I did before...before I was able to work and pay for the situation as I went...

This is totally different...hence a little concern...
12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

whatever you decide to do I wish you the best.
Closed Thread