Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else on LinkedIn?

It's a new year and I'm making a concerted effort to build out my online networks. I'm self-employed, so I'm always on the lookout for the next gig and building teams of freelancers to help me get the job done. Anyone care to connect on LinkedIn? There are probably work and networking opportunities among us that go unsaid, and networking among a group of people that I know virtually is better than networking with strangers. So let me start..

I'm a digital marketing consultant. I help companies market their products online. I'll work with traditional marketers, media buyers, designers, and developers to deliver websites, mobile apps, online media campaigns, etc... Catch me on LinkedIn if interested.

John Flores | LinkedIn

01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It's a new year and I'm making a concerted effort to build out my online networks. I'm self-employed, so I'm always on the lookout for the next gig and building teams of freelancers to help me get the job done. Anyone care to connect on LinkedIn? There are probably work and networking opportunities among us that go unsaid, and networking among a group of people that I know virtually is better than networking with strangers. So let me start..

I'm a digital marketing consultant. I help companies market their products online. I'll work with traditional marketers, media buyers, designers, and developers to deliver websites, mobile apps, online media campaigns, etc... Catch me on LinkedIn if interested.

John Flores | LinkedIn
Hi John,

I'm there as well but since I don't have a paid account at Linkedln, I couldn't send you an email.

I've read your CV ... impressive!

JP
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

To be honest, I'm on Linkedin but but don't have a clue as to what it's useful for. I have a few friends on it but I really don't see the point of the whole thing.
01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
To be honest, I'm on Linkedin but but don't have a clue as to what it's useful for. I have a few friends on it but I really don't see the point of the whole thing.
LinkedIn is like a business network ... a place that (hopefully) will help with finding a job, keep you in touch with old colleges and allows you to endorse or to be endorsed.
Is basically like FaceBook, but for business ...

I have a LinkedIn account as well.

01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Can't imagine it for me......
"Hello, I'm Rupert, and don't have any prestigious degrees in marketing or much of anything else. I spend most of my time having fun and spending too much money doing it. My calling card, so to speak, is shooting handsome Squirrels with a Pentax camera. If any of you guys can figure out how that can make me rich, I'm open for your expert evaluations!"

Regards!
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm there, but I don't use it for anything but business contacts. I hate when people ask me to join their network, only because they want to mine mine.
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'm there, but I don't use it for anything but business contacts. I hate when people ask me to join their network, only because they want to mine mine.
I'm similar to you - an account, a Profile, some firends - and totally dormant.

As to mining my network, that's the whole point, isn't it? Something about shared contacts and levels of separation? At one time LinkedIn was for business Executives to get together online and share experiences. Since my company has finally endorsed it, LinkedIn by definition must have been taken over by financial services salesmen.

01-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just like any other social network - online and in the real world - what you get out of it is related to what you put into it. There's a lot of shameless self promotion on linked in, i.e., "click here to read this terribly insightful blog post", but there is value too. Just this morning I had a meeting with an old business associate that reached out to me because they saw my activity on LinkedIn. I've gotten work from networking on LinkedIn in the past, will likely again, and work to connect people within my network when there's potential mutual benefit.
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I suppose I can see the point but I first got on it after being invited by friends who I have no professional relationship with at all. That's most of my contacts. Being a transport refrigeration technician, my skills are in demand although I am on my retirement countdown due to spinal conditions and future work will only be part time. I'm on it mostly to be polite and to not appear to be anti social.
01-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm an old guy, retired, have a little studio downtown that I play in a couple of days a week, and tons of things to do just keeping up with the normal routine of life...paying bills, keeping vehicles running and in order, keeping the home in repair, cooking dinner nightly for Mrs Rupert, and a long list of other duties that pop up on a daily basis.
I enjoy posting here and on one Flickr Forum I've been on several years, but otherwise I avoid FB or other social sites completely. It's as much about time as anything else, and I don't see how people have the time to be on so many sites? I have backed off here considerably, and I love it here at PF, but just don't have as much time as I would love to have for more involvement.

Do you guys have more time than I do, or maybe you just use it better? Mrs Rupert says I can waste time better than anyone she knows, and maybe she is right?

Regards!
01-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm an old guy, retired, have a little studio downtown that I play in a couple of days a week, and tons of things to do just keeping up with the normal routine of life...paying bills, keeping vehicles running and in order, keeping the home in repair, cooking dinner nightly for Mrs Rupert, and a long list of other duties that pop up on a daily basis.
I enjoy posting here and on one Flickr Forum I've been on several years, but otherwise I avoid FB or other social sites completely. It's as much about time as anything else, and I don't see how people have the time to be on so many sites? I have backed off here considerably, and I love it here at PF, but just don't have as much time as I would love to have for more involvement.

Do you guys have more time than I do, or maybe you just use it better? Mrs Rupert says I can waste time better than anyone she knows, and maybe she is right?

Regards!
I work at home, and do computer work to pay for the big toys. Photography pays a bit here and there. I'm on here "all the time" because a window is open on the forums at all times. It's better than going to the water cooler to catch up on gossip - that - and I don't HAVE a water cooler in my house!

01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After I had my conversation with PRIAC President Jim Malcolm (see the "Pentax wants to hear what you think" thread in the News and Rumors section), he added me on LinkedIn as a "Pentax Colleague".

Anyways, I am on there. I don't use it much, but I don't mind a connection with any of you. Just look me up (I am using my real name on there too *gasp*). We can all be "Pentax Colleagues".
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #13

I'm on LI. It took me a bit to figure out the usefulness, too, but I've discovered it's good for two primary things:

1. Visualizing my network, and how my network connects me to people I need to meet/speak to/do business with. (Pardon the awful grammar there...) One of the very best examples is when a friend of mine was laid off recently. He called me asking if I knew anyone at two different companies with openings in which he was interested. I jumped to LI and was able to search for the company, find my connections into it, and discover that a relatively close business associate was actually connected to a woman who turned out to be the hiring manager at one of the companies. I got my friend and the business associate together for a conversation, and then afterward asked the business associate his opinion. He said he thought the guy was sharp as a tack. As a favor to me, he stuck a good word in for my friend to help him get an interview. Turns out my friend ended up getting the job and was only out of work for five days. That's the value of LI. I'd never have known the connections into the company without being able to visualize it in that instantaneous manner.

2. Broadly disseminating information to a wide group of people who might otherwise not get that information, on what my company is doing, or needs of which I've been made aware - from folks searching for work to businesses looking for help with X or Y to promoting quality companies by word of mouth as I do in my daily life. I use it to share info on our new offerings, as well as educational resources that may be of value to various folks in my client and connection list. Nothing self-serving in a direct sense, as I don't write a blog or anything like that, but I certainly like to let folks know when we expand our lines. And my clients are asking for more feedback in this manner, as well.

Ultimately, I think LI will become the new place to go to get a job - at least for folks whose work is conducive to that sort of personal marketing for employment.
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Just like any other social network - online and in the real world - what you get out of it is related to what you put into it. There's a lot of shameless self promotion on linked in, i.e., "click here to read this terribly insightful blog post", but there is value too. Just this morning I had a meeting with an old business associate that reached out to me because they saw my activity on LinkedIn. I've gotten work from networking on LinkedIn in the past, will likely again, and work to connect people within my network when there's potential mutual benefit.
I heard about a lost friend loosing a relative and was able to contact him through LinkedIn this past week. He was touched that I made the effort. I was just sorry I had lost touch, but glad I could find him that way. My network is very odd. I get lots of patients that want me to join their network but I am not allowed to do so for legal and ethical reasons. So, my network is colleagues, old students, and a sort of eclectic mash up of different fields. I joined John's.
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I heard about a lost friend loosing a relative and was able to contact him through LinkedIn this past week. He was touched that I made the effort. I was just sorry I had lost touch, but glad I could find him that way. My network is very odd. I get lots of patients that want me to join their network but I am not allowed to do so for legal and ethical reasons. So, my network is colleagues, old students, and a sort of eclectic mash up of different fields. I joined John's.
I guess I get put in the "eclectic mash up of different fields" box. Cool, it's more fun in there!